HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 11, 2010, 12:25 AM
Joined Apr 2010
41 Posts
Question
Best 2-Stroke Gas Oil

I would like to know what people are using and what recomendations they have. Thank you for your time.
Cameron
Cam425 is offline Find More Posts by Cam425
to remove ads between posts
Old May 11, 2010, 07:02 AM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
12,877 Posts
I have to ask to be sure. Do you mean a gasoline ignition engine or a glow fuel engine?
earlwb is online now Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My new Gaui X5 Rc Helicopter
Old May 11, 2010, 11:27 AM
Joined Apr 2010
41 Posts
Gasoline for my dle 30cc.
Old May 11, 2010, 01:25 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
12,877 Posts
I like Klotz oil myself:
http://www.klotzwarehouse.com/index.php?categoryID=408
RCG Plus Member
Old May 11, 2010, 08:07 PM
Sippin' on Kool Aid
Long Island NY, USA
Joined Dec 2005
2,812 Posts
I asked this question a little while ago. There were lots of answers. I would suggest doing this: Call up whomever you purchased the engine from (if they're in the US) and as what they suggest. Most will recommend a decent name brand 2 stroke oil mixed at the manufacturers specs. If you can get it, Royal Purple and Redline are nice.
heligrom is offline Find More Posts by heligrom
Old May 11, 2010, 08:09 PM
Will fly for food
Maryland
Joined Sep 2004
8,424 Posts
I like Klotz. Either RC ModeLube or R50.

Chris Bergen of Bergen helicopters swears by Pennzoil Marine Synthetic.

I am NOT a fan of Redline, too many stories of issues in car use. Royal Purple has good reports, but I didn't know they made a 2 stroke oil.
Pinecone is offline Find More Posts by Pinecone
Old May 13, 2010, 01:21 PM
Joined Apr 2010
41 Posts
I decided to use what I used to use in my motorcycle. Maxima 100% synthetic ester based blend oil. It doesn't gunk up at all and runs great so for.
Old May 13, 2010, 04:45 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
12,877 Posts
Two cycle motorcycle gas engines use a different oil from four cycle motorcycle engines.
if you have a 2 cycle dirt bike or off road bike, that oil you use then would be perfectly fine.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 13, 2010, 11:36 PM
Joined Apr 2010
41 Posts
Yes it is a 2 stroke motorcycle. Thank you though for pointing that out many people do not understand that.
Old May 14, 2010, 10:21 AM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
12,877 Posts
Many many years ago, when I was a poor teenager, I used to just use regular motor oil in my two cycle engine powered motorcycles. it worked Ok, but it did leave more carbon residue though. So you had to scrape off the carbon build up from time to time from the combustion chamber. Everyone else hyped the "clean burning" synthetics and special 2 cycle oils. But if one had to leave their motorcycle outside in the winter, and they were using the fancy 2 cycle oils of that era, then come spring the crankshaft bearings were shot as they rusted out on them. They then scrapped the bike, found another engine to use, or rebuilt the engine (usually the crankshaft assembly cost more than the motorcycle was worth). at least the regular motor oil didn't exhibit that problem. I expect the modern 2 cycle engine oils do not have that problem anymore. Otherwise there would be a lot of upset home owners, when they fire up their weed eaters, leaf blowers, and stuff come spring time.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 14, 2010, 10:31 AM
United States, CA, SYLMAR
Joined Nov 2007
147 Posts
I have been flying gas for about 20 years now, everyone has something they like and most have finally found out that AmsOil is junk and the 100-1 mix was never designed for what we do. Lawn Boy for break in is like pouring sand in the cylinder and is not the best way to go, but a small number of manufacturers and growing have been recommending you use the same oil for break-in that you are going to use all the time.

I use Mobil 1 2T and will use it until I can no longer find it (discontinued it in 2008) then will switch over to Red-line or Lucas. When I get a new motor the only thing I do different is mix my oil at 40-1 instead of 50-1 and break it in in the air. Think of it this way, when you buy a 2 stroke dirt bike do you put the motor on a stand and break it in, or do you ride the sheet out of that beotch, when you get a car or truck (not RC) do you break it in by letting it sit in the driveway and run, or do you drive it? Gasoline engines are the most simple in this sport, they are less expensive and much easier and way more simple than any glow motor, and at $3 a gallon which last you 5 times as long as a gallon of $30 glow fuel and the motors cost less than buying a 4 stroke 90 or larger you are coming way out ahead of the dollars and cents game.
GmanBill is offline Find More Posts by GmanBill