Old May 10, 2010, 04:50 PM
RC Group therapist
DeRidder LA.
Joined Nov 2008
1,961 Posts
Build Log
Boneswamped's PCA-2

Hey guys,
I've started my PCA-2 build. I guess mine is Serial#2 from WhirlyBird Aviation. This won't be a full build log, instead I'll focus on any changes that I make. I'm working as quickly as I can because I will be gone for six weeks starting the 23rd of May because of another full scale aircraft course.

Here are a few of the things I will be changing:

DONELanding Gear: I'll be building the gear to be more scale-like, and adding functional struts(Yes, I know they are not needed ). The wing structure is very strong built exactly to plan, but will require some slight re-enforcment in key areas for my modifications. This will be a lot of work for a small reward, especially since the PLAN gear works perfectly. My goal is simple, and maybe even a bit daft, but I want to see the UC Sag down as the aircraft lifts off.

DONEFuselage formers/Stringers: The plan fuselage formers have squares cut into them to accept the stringers. I will be cutting "V" shaped slots that will rotate the stringers 90 deg. This will make the slot cutting easier, and give a sharper edge on the stringers that will show more under the covering. I've used this method on many aircraft that have stringers to give a bit more scale look to them.

In ProgressRotor system: This one is going to get me into hot water with Dave. The three blade setup flies perfectly as evidenced by the videos Joe has posted. I absolutely can't bring myself to build a three blade system on a model with such nice lines that's supposed to have four blades. I'll be building four blades with rigging.

DONERotor support mounts: I will use sheeting to secure the ply mounts in place which will tie the structure together better in my opinion.

In ProgressDummy Radial: I'll be using 9 cylinders.

In ProgressFuel filler: I plan to put the fuel filler(with a fuel dot, or valve) in the scale location on the left side just above the wing.

In ProgressCockpit: The aft pilot cockpit will have a scale instrument panel, the forward cockpit will have a tauno cover that is easily removable. It will hide the power switch, remote glow inginter, and charge jack.

DONEAileron servos: They will be mounted flat inside the wing on removable panels. Only the servo horn will protrude from the bottom of the wing.

DONEScale lighting: The wing tips will have Red/Left and Green/Right position lights with scale teardrop lenses. The tail will have a white strobe with a lens on each side.

DONEFuselage steps: The pilot steps on the left side will be installed like the full scale.

Regards,
-Mike
Boneswamped is offline Find More Posts by Boneswamped
Last edited by Boneswamped; Nov 15, 2010 at 02:54 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 10, 2010, 04:56 PM
RC Group therapist
DeRidder LA.
Joined Nov 2008
1,961 Posts
Hope you like to cut formers!

Anyone considering the PCA-2 build get ready to cut about 1.2 Million formers. Here's a little former flower to cheer you up!
Old May 10, 2010, 05:09 PM
AND FOR MY NEXT TRICK....!
Omaha Millard, Nebraska, United States
Joined Sep 2004
4,067 Posts
For a guy that's going to build 4 blades, extensive landing gear and over detailed radial engine....you sure do complain a lot!

So by the looks of the flower, you must be building the Beechnut!
jodini is offline Find More Posts by jodini
Old May 10, 2010, 05:10 PM
RC Group therapist
DeRidder LA.
Joined Nov 2008
1,961 Posts
Rear rotor strut mounts

The plan calls for 4 pieces of hardwood stock to join the 2 Plywood strut mounts to each sideframe. I sheeted the area the plywood mounts are located to tie the structure together with more area. I used basswood. I'll need the extra strength in the pylon for loops and rolls. I gotta get this thing built quick so I can beat Joe, and Rich to it.
Old May 10, 2010, 05:19 PM
Joined Sep 2004
4,067 Posts
Looks great Mike! Very impressive and clean looking! MORE PLEASE! Tail section of the fuse?
Old May 10, 2010, 05:24 PM
RC Group therapist
DeRidder LA.
Joined Nov 2008
1,961 Posts
Side formers changed

I changed the side formers F6-F8 to rotate the stringers 90 deg. This creates a sharp edge under the covering that resembles tubing, and I prefer the looks.
Last edited by Boneswamped; May 10, 2010 at 09:50 PM.
Old May 10, 2010, 05:25 PM
Joined Sep 2004
4,067 Posts
SWEET Mike! You have been working hard!
Old May 10, 2010, 05:33 PM
RC Group therapist
DeRidder LA.
Joined Nov 2008
1,961 Posts
Rear of sideframes

I shortened the rear of the side frames by about 1/4". Then I added the 1/4" back to the rear of the side formers with solid stock after the two halves were joined. I did this so that when I slot the rear of the fuselage for the hinges; I'm not cutting the glue joint that hold the rear of the side frames together.
Old May 10, 2010, 05:45 PM
RC Group therapist
DeRidder LA.
Joined Nov 2008
1,961 Posts
Main fuselage

I've got the main fuselage together, and there's only one other thing I'll be changing. I will be sheeting more than the plan. Pics to follow later.

You'll also notice I elected to omit the lightening holes in the forward lower balsa sections in the side formers. The amount of weight saved is not worth the work to me. The aircraft needs weight added to the nose anyway, so I opted for more structural integrity.

I will not be changing the tail section or the rudder at all, they are perfect as is. I'm not posting pics for those since Joe already showed it in detail.

That's all the pics for now guys. This is two evenings work, so I suspect the build will go quickly other than the 6 week trip I have to make soon. I would have more done, but yesterday was Mother's day so I had to take the Wife out on the town.
Last edited by Boneswamped; May 10, 2010 at 06:06 PM.
Old May 10, 2010, 06:50 PM
It was a GLITCH! Honestly!
Stourport on Severn ,Worcestershire, United Kingdom
Joined Dec 2007
4,904 Posts
Nice work Mike!..nice to see you building again.

Not done a sniff on mine..busy doing other things at the moment. But the next one to build is the Pitcairn for sure. I will be hopefully getting all my ribs and formers laser cut just negotiating the price at the moment (yep Im getting lazy) I think there will be more than enough build threads on here of this superb model..I will just sit back ,watch and enjoy
I like the way you think about things and look forward to your progress...keep those photos flowing

Regards Rich
SafeLandings is offline Find More Posts by SafeLandings
Old May 10, 2010, 10:02 PM
RC Group therapist
DeRidder LA.
Joined Nov 2008
1,961 Posts
Thanks Rich! Laser cut formers?..... Getting lazy in your old age Rich.

I finished the horizontal tail, and started the former for the rudder. No mods from the plans there, so no need to post pics. I'm also waiting to finish the stringers on the top until I've mounted the tail so I can decide exactly where I want them. I may do the top stringers slightly different to the plan. The next pics will be when the sheeting, tail section, and stringers are finished.
Old May 10, 2010, 11:59 PM
Nowhere
Joined Aug 2003
6,178 Posts
Good Lord Mike!!!! Not only a clean perfect build.....your photography is impressive also!!! Wow!! I am so very impressed!

Yep....you are for sure..... "walk'n the walk" son!!!!
imsofaman is offline Find More Posts by imsofaman
Old May 11, 2010, 12:04 AM
Joined Sep 2004
4,067 Posts
Totally agree on the lightening holes Mike. Looks good!

On the tail build on the rudder, please post lots of pics because I had to modify my rudder. I love how yours is turning out.

Keep up the great work Mike.....it's looking SOOOOOOOOOOOO good!

It's more fun to watch someone else build. I'll stay clean, dust free, and CA free for a while and watch you build!
Old May 11, 2010, 12:11 AM
Nowhere
Joined Aug 2003
6,178 Posts
I live vicariously through you guys in the build process!

Dave
imsofaman is offline Find More Posts by imsofaman
Old May 11, 2010, 12:21 AM
RC Group therapist
DeRidder LA.
Joined Nov 2008
1,961 Posts
I'll have more to post Wednesday. I have a 24 hour shift tomorrow, but off Wed.

Thanks for the compliments guys.
Closed Thread