SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 09, 2010, 10:59 PM
A Global Force For Good
USA, OH, Cincinnati
Joined Jun 2009
730 Posts
Mini-Review
Airfield's "F5 Tactical Fighter" from NitroPlanes.com

After seeing Tony's video reviews (both “what's in the box & flight review) and hearing his high praise for this particular model, I felt I needed to give this particular ARF a look. I ordered on a Friday and the plane arrived to me in Ohio on Wednesday where it sat for a couple of days until I was ready to do the build.

The WIB review included an assembly segment so I was well aware of the simplicity of what was ahead if I chose to go with the standard setup. For those that do (I didn't but I'll get to that) the assembly should take only about 30 minutes for those experienced with typical ARF assembly.
Airfield has prepared you to succeed very quickly having pre-installed all your servo's and power plant electronics. All you'll need to do is glue on the tail feathers and attach their respective linkages (I recommend setting the elevators to dead level zero as this bird has plenty of power and very little input will be needed to keep it airborne), glue on your wings whose linkages are already pre-installed and zeroed, assemble and snap in your landing gear (just a few hex nut wheel collars) ; here again your steerable nose wheel servo and it's linkage are pre-installed and drop in your RX & lipo battery. I used a Rhino 25c 2250 3s and achieved perfect balance with it positioned all the way to the back of the slot. Here I need to say that I chose to eliminate the gear completely and catapult launch my model. This modification eliminated 110 grams of weight as well as the associated drag related to fixed gear models.

I chose to maiden on a windy day and set the catapult up facing the 10-15 mph gusts. The initial launch was perfect with the stock motor ( I'm guessing it to be in the 4300kv range ) providing no doubt power once the bungee was cleared. A quick climb to 150 feet, a couple of clicks of up and right trim and she was all done. Now for the real treat. I'm use to upgrading ARFs usually immediately following their maiden flights. I like power, and although I rarely use more than 60% throttle after takeoff I do on occasion get the urge to scream by the pits. I had no radar gun or Doppler device to give me an accurate reading, but my guess is that this plane in the stock setup with the battery I described was reaching 80-90 mph during a number of cross wind full power passes. During these passes, as was the case with all of the six flights I enjoyed, this plane look like it was on a rail, and although gusting x-winds made landing a bit challenging, she preformed beautifully as slow speed.

My only criticism would be the lack of a rudder and the complete lack of any ESC programing information which would be helpful since the ESC is set to soft-start which can be less than desirable when attempting to land in gusty conditions or when doing high-alpha maneuvers. Both of these are small things that are mostly personal preferences but I do feel the plane would benefit from their inclusion.

All in all I think I've got a new favorite EDF. Only time will tell, but the Airfield F-5 is an absolute winner regardless.

jmpdgs is offline Find More Posts by jmpdgs
Last edited by jmpdgs; May 09, 2010 at 11:52 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 09, 2010, 11:59 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
cool looking plane and a well thought out and written review. thanks for sharing that.

Rich
LuvEvolution7 is offline Find More Posts by LuvEvolution7
Old May 21, 2010, 06:24 AM
Millington, TN
Joined Sep 2002
158 Posts
Hand Launched?

I like the review both you and Tony of Nitroplanes did on the F5 that I bought one. In your opinion do you think this Airfield F5 be hand launched How long are your flights with the larger 2200mah Lipo?
jstanton is offline Find More Posts by jstanton
Old May 21, 2010, 08:39 AM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
I would say you can hand launch it "with care". there's not a lot of wing area there and you could get into trouble with it, fast. bungee or a jetapult style gizmo is probably the least painful method of launch, or a dolly. the thing about hand launch is, that if you screw it up, it's generally not flying fast enough to get up on step and you stall into the ground. if it were me and I had no choice but to hand launch, I wouldn't be getting crazy on the angles you launch it at. if you've got trees around, I generally be aiming at the top of them, or slightly just above when I launch the plane at full power. that way you don't stall the plane out when it's trying to build speed.

as far as the batts go, with 2200's in my Euro, I get about 3.5-4 minutes of mixed flying, so expect about the same here. if you can fit bigger mAh packs, I would do so. if you can fit 4S packs later on and drop the Kv of the motor a bit, that'll make this thing a rocket ship.

Rich
Old May 21, 2010, 09:11 AM
Millington, TN
Joined Sep 2002
158 Posts
Rich,

Thanks for the feed back. I just my look into a bungee system of some sort
Old May 21, 2010, 01:42 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
read the bungee thread on this forum. there's a lot of good info in there on how to set these things up. the jetapult system is very good, but a simple stake in the ground and 20 feet or so of hospital tubing is also just as good. just stretch it to about 5 times the weight of the plane and it'll be good enough to launch safely. use a fishing scale to determine this proper stretch, mark the ground at the spot you are standing, then allow the bungee to go back to its rest position. then simply count the paces it requires to get back to the point you marked. then you can repeat this over and over again for launch without having to use a scale all the time.

Rich
Old May 21, 2010, 01:47 PM
Millington, TN
Joined Sep 2002
158 Posts
Rich,

Where can I get this Hospital tubing you are talking about? Can I get this at auto zone or some place like that?
Old May 21, 2010, 02:07 PM
Speed Demon
Antioch,CA,USA
Joined Dec 1999
12,335 Posts
http://www.nextag.com/surgical-tubing/products-html

I've used the silicon tobing before as a high start for launching gliders. The 3/8" is pretty hefty and stores a lot of energy. The guys that I fly with kiddingly called it "The Gorilla Launch". One glider actually folded its wings upon release. After that only the brave that knew they had a good spar used it.

The Tygon tubing I have no experiance with. Perhaps someone that has used that can comment.
GregG is offline Find More Posts by GregG
Last edited by GregG; May 21, 2010 at 02:13 PM.
Old May 21, 2010, 02:14 PM
Millington, TN
Joined Sep 2002
158 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregG View Post
Thanks great. I look at this site now how much do I order. I saw some where they said 50'. I thought that was a lot just to fling a small 12oz edf jet into the air.
Old May 21, 2010, 02:28 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
if you've got a health/medical supply store in your area, they carry stuff like this. we've got one locally that sell wheelchairs, scooters, crutches and other medical supplies. that's where I get hospital tubing here, so there's got to be somewhere like that in your area. hope that helps you out.

Rich
Old May 21, 2010, 02:29 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
if the wings folded, it's because they used too much stretch in the bungee. 5 times the airplane weight is a pretty safe stretch. also, your hook needs to be more forward than a high start for a glider. I'll post a pic in the next reply, so you can see where to put it.

Rich
Old May 21, 2010, 02:33 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
tow hook position

here's a good position for bungee launched jets. you can go a bit more forward if you like but 60-66% will give you a flatter launch trajectory, which is what you want for a jet launch. enjoy.

Rich
Old May 21, 2010, 03:18 PM
Millington, TN
Joined Sep 2002
158 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvEvolution7 View Post
here's a good position for bungee launched jets. you can go a bit more forward if you like but 60-66% will give you a flatter launch trajectory, which is what you want for a jet launch. enjoy.

Rich
Thanks for all your help. I'll go by a medical supply store here in the Memphis area and see if they have any 3/8" tubing. I'll also see about making some sort of launching system for the bungee. 25' should be enough don't you think?
Old May 21, 2010, 04:34 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
absolutely, 25 feet will be more than enough. if they don't carry it, they will be able to direct you to somewhere that does. but I'm sure they will carry it. we used to go there when we were kids to buy it for our slingshots. LOL.

don't forget to epoxy the hook to the plane in a good way. it'll rip off quicker than you can say it, if it isn't a good bond. one good way to do it, is to make skids and the hook can be a part of the skid. if you look at Harrier or BAE Hawk pics, there are gun pods on the bottom of the fuselage. maybe you could make a skid that looks like a gun pod, laser pod, or center line fuel tank, which would keep it more in the line of the looks of a fighter jet. just a thought.

Rich
Old May 21, 2010, 04:37 PM
Effumall
Joined Nov 2005
3,619 Posts
Wouldn't the guys in the foamy EDF forum find this interesting?

And BTW, is it EPO?
kelberts is offline Find More Posts by kelberts