HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 09, 2003, 10:52 AM
No fuse too fat
USA, CA, Redondo Beach
Joined Apr 2002
3,906 Posts
Video Editing Tips and Tricks

I was going to post this in Vince's thread, but I didn't want that thread to get hijacked.

I have some footage that I'd love to post, but my video camera is analog. I am not very knowledgeable when it comes to video editing and such. Maybe some of you guys can post some tips and tricks related to the subject. I've heard you can convert analog video into .mpeg's with the right kind of video card. Anyone know which one(s) are the best? And which video editing software do you like?

Russ.
slopeiron is offline Find More Posts by slopeiron
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 09, 2003, 12:27 PM
Feeling FrSky
United States, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Feb 2003
20,091 Posts
I'm using an external capture card that I borrowed from Michael Richter. The capture card is marketed by Pinnacle Systems, and the card comes with the Pinnacle Studio 8 LE editing software.

The capture card accepts analog video and audio inputs, as well as S-Video. It then plugs into your computer via a USB port. Quite simple to setup and use, in my opinion.

The software it comes with is fine, too, and quite serviceable for our purposes (i.e. "homebrew" video). It's an "LE" (Lame Edition) version of the software, however, so you've got to upgrade it (about $40 I think) in order to the full range of capability (i.e. slow motion, some color controls, etc). I haven't done that yet, but am considering it.

This software also comes with something called "SmartSound", which will auto-generate incredibly cheezy background music to suite your film. It actually works out suprisingly well, if you can stomache the inherent pure cheeze factor. At least you won't get sued for copyright infringement, and you just click a button and the music is inserted. What could be simpler?

Anyways, that setup works for me. Many of the homebrew videos I see appear to have been made using it. At least, I recognize the uber-cheeze background track, "Power Drive", in many of them. Arrrgh. You can upgrade to more music options, as well, or you can insert music from a CD (although no mp3 option that I'm aware of...guess they didn't want to make it too easy to pirate and infringe simultaneously LOL)

Hope that helps, and good luck! It's a lot of fun to make these little videos, especially because most guys never get to see themselves flying.
surfimp is offline Find More Posts by surfimp
Old Jun 09, 2003, 01:14 PM
San Dimas, 40 km east of Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2002
1,346 Posts
If you have PC with around 1 Ghz processor and an open PCI slot, then for $50 you can get the Aver DVD EZmaker. It relies on your processor to convert to either mpeg1 for VCD or mpeg2 for DVD. Comes with a DVD burning and authoring S/W ( Mediostream ). Avalable at CompUSA and Fry's electronics.

http://aver.com/products/dvm.shtml
ktoey is offline Find More Posts by ktoey
Old Jun 09, 2003, 01:35 PM
Free as a bird now.
United States, FL, Punta Gorda
Joined May 2002
6,682 Posts
I bought a Pinnacle Systems Studio 8 card at Circuit City last time I was in California. I bought the one that is intended for analog cameras. It was $99 bucks. This is an internal card, so you need to be sure you have a slot available inside your PC. If you don't have an extra slot, you can buy an external card that connects to the USB port, but the external cards are probably more expensive.

The Pinacle card comes with a 250 page manual that details all the different capture and editing features of the card. It's nice to have a clear, well detailed reference available. So far I've only just scratched the surface as far as what the card can do.

The main reason I bought the card was so I can post movie clips online. For that job it works great. I was able to compress my 3 minute Spitfire movie down to 10 megs at reasonable resolution.
My digital still cam (set in movie mode) uses up 4 megs every 15 seconds, so a 3 minute movie would need a 48 meg file.

You can also capture your movies in very high resolution for transfer to cd's or dvd's. playback of your movies. The files of course are HUGE, not suitable for internet uploads. If you really want to have digital, full quality copies of your tapes, you should probably buy a DVD burner.

Anyway, for about $100 you can get what you need to start turning your analog tapes into digital movies. I've been having fun with my setup so far.
Brian Courtice is online now Find More Posts by Brian Courtice
Last edited by Brian Courtice; Jun 09, 2003 at 01:38 PM.
Old Jun 09, 2003, 07:41 PM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,499 Posts
I'm going to move this over to Aerial Photography where it can some extra exposure (pun not intended).

mw
Mark Wood is offline Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old Jun 11, 2003, 10:48 AM
No fuse too fat
USA, CA, Redondo Beach
Joined Apr 2002
3,906 Posts
Thanks guys. I just talked with one of the guys I work with. He says that I would have to rip the analog video down to my harddrive in .avi format first (@ 1Gig a minute) before I could even start editing. But with digital video, you can mark the video that you want to edit and work with that bit only, and the mpeg file size is much smaller. I think rather than spending money on a bunch of stuff to try to make my anolog camera work, I'll just invest in a DV camera.

Thanks.
Russ.
slopeiron is offline Find More Posts by slopeiron
Old Jun 11, 2003, 12:52 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
25,231 Posts
I encode my analog video from the camera in MPEG using the same ATI card he mentions above.

There is NO NEED to rip it at 1 Gig/minute - that's way overkill. I set my card to VCD format (Video CD, like a DVD but lower quality and burns on regular CDs). I start the record shortly before the portion I want to capture (sometimes it's the whole thing) and stop it when done.

Then I use MyFlix to edit it to exactly what I want, and from there burn it with NTI Pro.

Quick, easy, reliable, and it's just fine for watching home movies on the 21" TV set in the living room.

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor