HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 06, 2010, 08:44 AM
Begin with end in mind...
Eagle Lake, Minnesota
Joined Apr 2003
5,580 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango Juliet View Post
Looks good Mike. Not a lot of difference from the SS, but I do like the camera angle better. I'm trying to decide how to raise the camera angle on the SS without doing damage.
Thanks

There are more differences than it may appear from the Solution, here are a few..

1. The tail feathers are "captured" by the fuse. This has always been a concern of mine with the Solution. The application has held but this new placement is better.

2. Component location...There are numerous cubbies to install packs and components. These locations make C.G. adjustment much easier.

3. The tail section is more robust thicker overall. Add to this the 1/32 ply spine and the tail is by far more durable than the Solution.

4. The servo install has been simplified to use pushrods of the same length they are installed bottom to bottom on each side of the fuse.

5. Lower parts count = easier build.

6. Camera mount angle and camera mount has been simplified/improved.

7. Main wing spars have been extended and they are wider. The wing ply center sections have been simplified.

8. Stab/fin area has been increased to be proportional to the wing area.

9. Depron side sheeting has been omitted for ease of build and weight reduction.

10. Tail wheel assembly has been simplified to an EPP tail skid to simplify the build. This is very durable as well as simple.

The overall "look" is similar to the Solution, the details are where the differences are. While they don't jump out at you, there are improvements/changes that will ease our mission I wanted to simplify while increasing reliability/strength. At the same time I want to remain at the same AUW. I have reached that goal, and if it flys as well as the Solution I will be pleased. The Solution is a great flying AP ship. I expect this to be an improvement.

At this stage of the game, improvements/changes come in small increments. My brain is melting more and more with each design

Mike
power is offline Find More Posts by power
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 06, 2010, 09:46 AM
Fly or Shoot? Both!
Mobile, AL
Joined Aug 2006
1,206 Posts
I can hardly wait to see it fly. I had a winding go bad on my Axi motor a few wekks ago, and a new one went back order, so I picked up a Power 25 from E-Flite. I think it will run about the same, but I haven't installed it yet.
Tango Juliet is offline Find More Posts by Tango Juliet
Old Jun 06, 2010, 10:11 AM
Joined Jan 2007
4,440 Posts
Like your other planes, I bet it flies great. I really like the addition (or re-addition) of the holes due to the fact that it gives you the ability to move your weight (aka...battery) around to get your CG just right with different cameras. Good luck with the maiden flight.

- Jeff
Canadian Geek is offline Find More Posts by Canadian Geek
Old Jun 07, 2010, 12:27 AM
Official Boat Bum
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Mar 2000
6,808 Posts
Mike, thanks for sharing this build with us. Looks great!! I appreciate your simple yet appropriate and effective building techniques. Looking forward to seeing some pictures
Eddie P is online now Find More Posts by Eddie P
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 07, 2010, 07:56 PM
Eagle Lake, Minnesota
Joined Apr 2003
5,580 Posts
Here we go!!

My wife and I went out this morning early and did up the test flight. She is a wonderful camera man...er...woman

All the footage in the clip is with the Nikon D40X mounted on board. The onboard stills are from the flight as well. I tried to display the turning ability of the plane in tight areas. The little bit of wind we had was quite swirly so I did not go too crazy down low. The plane seems rock solid, I do think I want to add a touch more downthrust but for the most part I am pleased. Some will recognize the music as I used it for the original Solution maiden. I like it for this type of clip.

Anson...There is a special part in the clip just for you at about the 1:05 mark

VIDEO!!

http://www.whispershots.com/Aerial-i...4_DdPfH/Medium

Mike
Old Jun 07, 2010, 09:21 PM
Moses Lake, Wa.
Joined Apr 2008
478 Posts
WOW, very nice !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Like the loops, not sure if I would do it with my DSLR on board I don't have that kind of guts LOL.
As normal another great flyer.

Jeff
MWCores
MWCores is offline Find More Posts by MWCores
Old Jun 08, 2010, 04:48 AM
Crash land!
Geelong Vic, Australia
Joined Sep 2009
615 Posts
Very cool Mike, looks like she flies beautifully.

Must be a satisfying feeling coming up with these creations, and seeing other people building/flying them successfully around the world.

Not to mention the fact that I think your designs have the most recognisable silhouette of any rc model I've seen Who could mistake this?

Joffa_Dan is offline Find More Posts by Joffa_Dan
Old Jun 08, 2010, 10:21 AM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Aug 2007
207 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by power View Post
...The little bit of wind we had was quite swirly so I did not go too crazy down low. The plane seems rock solid,...Mike
Mike, with the AUW, this plane can handle a bit of wind, correct? the plane looks Sweeeet!!! those loops were crazy! ... can you balance the GoPro on here for footage or do you have to use something heavier? it is the same wing you have been using for your GoPro vids, correct? just on the Passive frame?

thanks,
Chad
beeker_12 is offline Find More Posts by beeker_12
Old Jun 08, 2010, 10:45 AM
NY Freedom Fighter
Joined Feb 2007
1,503 Posts
Quote:
Here we go!!

My wife and I went out this morning early and did up the test flight. She is a wonderful camera man...er...woman

VIDEO!!

Mike
Beautiful job! You have an excellent videographer and camera...person. The plane flies beautifully. Do you think moving the wing back an inch would get the CG on for a GoPro with Video TX, and adding a separate smaller battery for the VidTX? That would make it extremely versatile.
BatterysIncluded is offline Find More Posts by BatterysIncluded
Old Jun 08, 2010, 12:21 PM
Eagle Lake, Minnesota
Joined Apr 2003
5,580 Posts
Thanks guys,

beeker_12,

The plane loaded with the DSLR will always handle wind better just becasue of the higher wing loading. The wing is 80" X 15" I have been using a 90" x 15" for my personal vids. The fuse is similar to the Passive, this fuse has all 1/32 ply, is a lot shorter in "Height" and is 2" thick. The passive is 1.5" thick.

BatterysIncluded,

Well...my A-640 tips the sales at around 9oz without the 2s pack. The GoPro HD hero is around 6.5oz with the case. If your Vid TX and separate pack come in at around 3oz you should be good to go Honestly, I don't see a problem getting it to balance, the design allows the wing to slide back more than an inch if need be.

Mike
Old Jun 12, 2010, 01:46 PM
The Netherlands, NB
Joined Dec 2007
100 Posts
I am orientating myself for a MPV/AP platform. This looks like a perfect choice.
But can you tell me something about the flight time with this setup?
Maybee it's even possible to use thermals to extend flight time ???
merlin64 is offline Find More Posts by merlin64
Old Jun 12, 2010, 02:10 PM
Eagle Lake, Minnesota
Joined Apr 2003
5,580 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin64 View Post
I am orientating myself for a MPV/AP platform. This looks like a perfect choice.
But can you tell me something about the flight time with this setup?
Maybee it's even possible to use thermals to extend flight time ???
The flight times depend on wind and pack size. I usually can get easy 10 min with light winds on a 3s 2100 pack. I have a process when I am on site, when I see 7 to 8 min on my TX timer I start thinking landing. This allows a go around if thigs get goofy I like to keep things light but there is no reason you couldn't put larger packs onboard. On your thermal topic, I have had a buddy tell me he has in fact experienced throttle off lift at higher altitude so you would have to try it.

I have the plans just about finished...anyone still interested???

Mike
Old Jun 12, 2010, 02:45 PM
The Netherlands, NB
Joined Dec 2007
100 Posts
If you have the plans i am really interested, but how to print these PDF files. I saw they are on real scale on your former disigns, so i will need a large printer wich can handle large sheets ofpaper .
merlin64 is offline Find More Posts by merlin64
Last edited by merlin64; Jun 13, 2010 at 02:33 AM.
Old Jun 15, 2010, 03:25 PM
Nakelp
United States, NJ, Union
Joined Sep 2004
6,701 Posts
Quote:
the flight times depend on wind and pack size. I usually can get easy 10 min with light winds on a 3s 2100 pack. I have a process when i am on site, when i see 7 to 8 min on my tx timer i start thinking landing. This allows a go around if thigs get goofy i like to keep things light but there is no reason you couldn't put larger packs onboard. On your thermal topic, i have had a buddy tell me he has in fact experienced throttle off lift at higher altitude so you would have to try it.

I have the plans just about finished...anyone still interested???

Mike
yes, yes,yes:d
nakelp86 is offline Find More Posts by nakelp86
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Disco gimbal
Old Jun 15, 2010, 04:53 PM
Moses Lake, Wa.
Joined Apr 2008
478 Posts
Yes, Bring it on.

Jeff
MWCores is offline Find More Posts by MWCores