HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 30, 2010, 04:45 PM
On Hiatus.
Mobile, AL
Joined Aug 2006
1,213 Posts
You're absolutely right. Your wing/spar design is solid. I know on mine, I have about 4-6" of spar that spans into the wingtip, both top and bottom, that's why I asked. My next investment will be for a video downlink system to help compose shots. I'm just not sure I fully understand what I need yet.
Tango Juliet is offline Find More Posts by Tango Juliet
to remove ads between posts
Old May 30, 2010, 05:29 PM
Begin with end in mind...
Eagle Lake, Minnesota
Joined Apr 2003
5,613 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango Juliet View Post
You're absolutely right. Your wing/spar design is solid. I know on mine, I have about 4-6" of spar that spans into the wingtip, both top and bottom, that's why I asked. My next investment will be for a video downlink system to help compose shots. I'm just not sure I fully understand what I need yet.

The downlink IMO is a must if you want perfection in framing. I can do ok by "flying blind" but the percentage of usable shots goes way down. The confirmation is important to me.

Since the main spars are running full length on the center wing section, the 24 inch tip spars will run 12" up the tip and 12" into the center section. Top and Bottom. There is a weight increase with the added main spar config but on this bird it won't matter. I am still lighter on the fuse than the original Solution so I may end up matching the weight.

Mike
power is offline Find More Posts by power
Old Jun 01, 2010, 11:59 PM
Need more time....
Stuttgart, Germany
Joined May 2003
245 Posts
Mike,

I've been out of the loop for a while, but I like this new design. Question: Where did you get those great weights you use to hold things down while gluing? Are they milling blocks? I need to find some.

I still haven't built the Super Solution I bought over a year ago! I really need to get back on track!

Mark
MarkFitzgerald is offline Find More Posts by MarkFitzgerald
Old Jun 02, 2010, 10:05 AM
Fly Big, Low and Slow....
USA, VA, Wicomico
Joined Aug 2008
1,358 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by power View Post
There has been only one wing failure I know of and the plane had 150 flights on it. It also failed coming out of a loop. I myself don't see any reason at all to loop an AP plane especially with a DSLR onboard.

Mike
Who would do a dumb thing like that?

B.T.W. Mike my HEPTAD is still flying great.

-Anson
Alpina540 is offline Find More Posts by Alpina540
Old Jun 02, 2010, 12:11 PM
Eagle Lake, Minnesota
Joined Apr 2003
5,613 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpina540 View Post
Who would do a dumb thing like that?

B.T.W. Mike my HEPTAD is still flying great.

-Anson
LOL... didn't want to mention names Not really a dumb thing, just some added risk Glad to hear the Heptad is still flying,

Mike
Old Jun 02, 2010, 05:05 PM
Eagle Lake, Minnesota
Joined Apr 2003
5,613 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkFitzgerald View Post
Mike,

I've been out of the loop for a while, but I like this new design. Question: Where did you get those great weights you use to hold things down while gluing? Are they milling blocks? I need to find some.

I still haven't built the Super Solution I bought over a year ago! I really need to get back on track!

Mark

Hi Mark,

The weights with the 6 holes are my old 1 2 3 blocks, they are used in machining setups. The other weights are non conforming parts from where I work. I use them a lot and they work well. Not sure where you could find something that compares. The blocks are kind of spendy if you had to buy them for just weight

Mike
Old Jun 02, 2010, 08:25 PM
United States, OR
Joined Jan 2010
150 Posts
You can find Stainless Steel or regular steel end cuts from round stock at a metal supplier or a scrap yard, they come in different diameters, and run about a buck a lb. any size you want. I just picked some up a couple of months ago, there great for working with plane kits.
Flightbox is offline Find More Posts by Flightbox
Old Jun 02, 2010, 11:28 PM
Need more time....
Stuttgart, Germany
Joined May 2003
245 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by power View Post
Hi Mark,

The weights with the 6 holes are my old 1 2 3 blocks, they are used in machining setups. The other weights are non conforming parts from where I work. I use them a lot and they work well. Not sure where you could find something that compares. The blocks are kind of spendy if you had to buy them for just weight

Mike
Thanks, Mike. I have a friend that works in a machine shop and I'm sure they have some stuff like that laying around. It doesn't hurt to ask.

Mark
MarkFitzgerald is offline Find More Posts by MarkFitzgerald
Old Jun 03, 2010, 04:32 AM
Crash land!
Geelong Vic, Australia
Joined Sep 2009
635 Posts
I just use weights from dumbbells.
Joffa_Dan is offline Find More Posts by Joffa_Dan
Old Jun 03, 2010, 08:43 AM
Joined Mar 2005
30 Posts
Power: Are you still selling kits for your designs?
j_eich18 is offline Find More Posts by j_eich18
Old Jun 03, 2010, 09:28 AM
Eagle Lake, Minnesota
Joined Apr 2003
5,613 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_eich18 View Post
Power: Are you still selling kits for your designs?
Jeff at MWcores sells them, I just design and build...

I see his site is down for maintenance now, check back with him. He has several different designs.....

www.mwcores.com

Mike
Old Jun 03, 2010, 11:27 AM
Moses Lake, Wa.
Joined Apr 2008
480 Posts
Hi All,

Our web site is up and running, www.mwcores.com.
We handle all of Mike's AP designs.

Jeff
MWCores
MWCores is online now Find More Posts by MWCores
Old Jun 05, 2010, 11:11 AM
Eagle Lake, Minnesota
Joined Apr 2003
5,613 Posts
I have the wing complete, here are a few build pics...a lot actually . I need to finish up the component install and I will have some final pics before the test flight. I had been waiting on my AXI mount so I called Hobby Lobby and they told me june 27th. Waiting this long for a mount was not an option so I made my own.

Test flight should be soon...

Mike
Old Jun 06, 2010, 06:38 AM
Eagle Lake, Minnesota
Joined Apr 2003
5,613 Posts
It's finished and ready to go I will put it in the air as soon as I can, I have a busy day today so maybe early this week. Here are some component picks and locations. I did not install my downlink and board cam yet I will shoot blind for a couple flights .

A note on C.G. with lighter cameras, I was surprised to find that the model balanced spot on with a 28 oz D40X mounted up and the pack in the fuse hole. I was equally surprised in that if you slide the wing back 1 inch the canon A-640 (without batteries) will also balance. You do need to put the 3s 2100 pack in back of the A-640 but there is plenty of room. With that this plane looks like it will be a lot more "camera flexible" than I thought.

Mike
Old Jun 06, 2010, 08:16 AM
On Hiatus.
Mobile, AL
Joined Aug 2006
1,213 Posts
Looks good Mike. Not a lot of difference from the SS, but I do like the camera angle better. I'm trying to decide how to raise the camera angle on the SS without doing damage.
Tango Juliet is offline Find More Posts by Tango Juliet