HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 26, 2010, 01:47 AM
Official Boat Bum
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Mar 2000
6,805 Posts
I don't want to hijack this great thread with gyro talk, but I have a small thread on this forum about an Easy Glider and 3 axis gyro correction in order to get some aerial video with an HD Go Pro camera. I'll add more information as I get the components in the mail, hopefully in a week or two. The gyro control will essentially reduce (I hope) large and choppy attitude deviations, and that may greatly improve video raw footage.

In the meantime, I look forward to more high quality DSLR footage! Well done.
Eddie P is online now Find More Posts by Eddie P
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old May 26, 2010, 08:29 AM
NY Freedom Fighter
Joined Feb 2007
1,503 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nocontrol1 View Post
True, but a gyro might be able to help hold the plane in a desired directioin against a crosswind. I have one of the original Ultra Beasts and a Super Solution. Both are awesome AP planes, but they don't like a crosswind. Just a thought. Oh yeah, my neck of the woods is ALWAYS windy. Your results may vary!

Rob D.
I know where you are coming from about it always being windy. Real calm is a rarity here too. I would think that an FMA Copilot would be the way to go if you want to point the plane in one direction and have it continue that path until you steer it in another. I do have to tell you though that these larger AP planes, in combination with a Clark Y wing, just about do it on their own once you get them trimmed properly, even in some wind.
BatterysIncluded is offline Find More Posts by BatterysIncluded
Old May 26, 2010, 08:05 PM
Official Boat Bum
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Mar 2000
6,805 Posts
My previous experience with a Clark Y airfoil is that it can sometimes be prone to balooning with a gust or pitch changes as it aggressively shows it's positive dynamic stability in speed and trim behaviors. Since you find that it's a pretty good, stable video mount even with the Clark Y, then I might be mistaken. I'll have to do some experimentation myself on this, I assumed a semi-symmetrical airfoil like a DG or Eppler would have more attitude stability at the sake of relaxed neutral speed stability stability, especially combined with a slightly higher wing loading.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 27, 2010, 02:21 PM
Fly or Shoot? Both!
Mobile, AL
Joined Aug 2006
1,206 Posts
I currently fly Mike's Super Solution design with a Canon XTi (350D) on it and it is very stable. The only ballooning to worry about is from full power on climbs to altitude and then powering off to get into the glide. It will almost climb straight up and when the power is cut, the nose will drop off quickly. I try to remedy this by easing off the power instead of cutting it all at once. With just a slight breeze on the nose, it will hover into the wind. I flew mine at Joe Nall two weeks ago with excellent results. I may add the "Exposure" to my fleet in the future, but for now, the SS does the job just fine. I haven't yet added the video downlink though so I end up trashing more images than I keep.
Tango Juliet is offline Find More Posts by Tango Juliet
Old May 27, 2010, 10:38 PM
Joined Mar 2007
533 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BatterysIncluded View Post
I know where you are coming from about it always being windy. Real calm is a rarity here too. I would think that an FMA Copilot would be the way to go if you want to point the plane in one direction and have it continue that path until you steer it in another. I do have to tell you though that these larger AP planes, in combination with a Clark Y wing, just about do it on their own once you get them trimmed properly, even in some wind.
I have used a copilot on the Super Solution, it does help out a lot in dampening unwanted movements. My ratio of "keeper" to junk photos went way up with it on. This design is great for what is was conceived for. Just be careful in gusty, windy conditions.

Rob D
nocontrol1 is offline Find More Posts by nocontrol1
Old May 28, 2010, 01:09 AM
Official Boat Bum
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Mar 2000
6,805 Posts
It certainly seems like a great platform! Can't argue with success.

Speaking of downlinks - What is the favored video downlink system these days? I imagine it would be a lot easier to frame the shots in real time with the downlink.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 28, 2010, 07:53 AM
NY Freedom Fighter
Joined Feb 2007
1,503 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie P View Post
It certainly seems like a great platform! Can't argue with success.

Speaking of downlinks - What is the favored video downlink system these days? I imagine it would be a lot easier to frame the shots in real time with the downlink.
I think everyone has their favorite video TX system depending on what radio and other requirements you have. I am using the BOB FOX 700 system and am happy with it. I documented my setup in my blog. I think a screen is better suited to AP than goggles if that is your goal.
Old May 28, 2010, 12:30 PM
Fly or Shoot? Both!
Mobile, AL
Joined Aug 2006
1,206 Posts
Quote:
I am using the BOB FOX 700 system and am happy with it. I documented my setup in my blog.
That looks as though you have a live out from the camera, correct? Which won't work with some/most DSLR's. You'll need a system with a seperate CCD camera pointed in the same general location as the DSLR. I still don't have one, but I'm looking at Range Video with goggles.
Old May 28, 2010, 02:09 PM
NY Freedom Fighter
Joined Feb 2007
1,503 Posts
Yes, that is true. If you are shooting video then you will not be able to do video out and capture the video on-board at the same time with most cameras (GoPro HD is one that wil). For stills most cameras will black the screen for a second or so as it saves the photo to the card. It's not long enough to loose orientation and I always have the plane in sight anyway. I just ordered a GoPro so I will most likely use that for video out and on-board video capture while I use a separate camera to shoot stills.
Old May 28, 2010, 03:25 PM
No thrust...It'll bust...
Troy, NH
Joined Sep 2006
4,312 Posts
I just did a still shoot with the HD Hero at 2 second intervals using a downlink without an issue. I wouldn't call it relaxing flying that way but it can be done without losing orientation. Video FPV with the HD Hero is bullet proof. BTW Gary, I finished wiring up the BOBFOX 700 today and love it! What a bargain.

-Tim
troynh is offline Find More Posts by troynh
Old May 28, 2010, 05:35 PM
NY Freedom Fighter
Joined Feb 2007
1,503 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by troynh View Post
Video FPV with the HD Hero is bullet proof. BTW Gary, I finished wiring up the BOBFOX 700 today and love it! What a bargain.

-Tim
Tim,
Good to hear both of those bits of news. I still can't believe what I got for the price I paid. Hope you post those stills.

Mike,
Don't get too consumed by your tricopter build. We are all waiting to see the results from this build.
Old May 29, 2010, 09:02 PM
Begin with end in mind...
Eagle Lake, Minnesota
Joined Apr 2003
5,580 Posts
Quote:
Mike,
Don't get too consumed by your tricopter build. We are all waiting to see the results from this build.
I decided to step back just a bit from the Tri and take your advise. You must know how I operate "consumed" is a very good description.

I cut a few cores and started the wing construction.The wing is 15" X 80" the same as the Super Solution. The center section is 40" with two 20" tips. There are a few changes but nothing big so this should go fast. I should have this thing flying soon. I am still waiting on the AXI mount from Hobby Lobby Anyway to get back on building, here are a few wing progress pics. I will have more very soon.

Mike
power is offline Find More Posts by power
Old May 29, 2010, 11:05 PM
NY Freedom Fighter
Joined Feb 2007
1,503 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by power View Post
I decided to step back just a bit from the Tri and take your advise. You must know how I operate "consumed" is a very good description.

Mike
I know because I have been there. I have my tri running stable but it is time consuming and took me a long time to get it running the way I want it, not to mention all of the tweaking with the radio and the learning curve. I still don't have the confidence to put a good camera on it. It will consume you once you get it flying. Anyway, it's good to see this build progressing. Do you plan to build in any flexibility with the wing position to be able to shift CG for a lighter camera?
Old May 30, 2010, 04:59 AM
Fly or Shoot? Both!
Mobile, AL
Joined Aug 2006
1,206 Posts
Mike, are you not using any spar overlap on the wing tips any more? Are you doing something different with the center section/wing tip joint to make sure it's not a week point?

Something to consider when weighting down the spar: I laid down a sheet of wax paper over it and then laid stacks of magazines on top. They conform to the profile of the wing and distribute the weight evenly across it's entire length .
Old May 30, 2010, 07:01 AM
Begin with end in mind...
Eagle Lake, Minnesota
Joined Apr 2003
5,580 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango Juliet View Post
Mike, are you not using any spar overlap on the wing tips any more? Are you doing something different with the center section/wing tip joint to make sure it's not a week point?

Something to consider when weighting down the spar: I laid down a sheet of wax paper over it and then laid stacks of magazines on top. They conform to the profile of the wing and distribute the weight evenly across it's entire length .
LOL... what weak point??? I have been flying mine for several yrs and it is still in one piece. The spar layout will be the same as original only the main spar is running the entire length and it is a bit wider. So yes, it will be stronger but only because the main spar runs to the tip or the center section. There has been only one wing failure I know of and the plane had 150 flights on it. It also failed coming out of a loop. I myself don't see any reason at all to loop an AP plane especially with a DSLR onboard.

That said...I did build this same wing for an individual a month ago that had an unreal amount of payload. He had a mission, he had a D40 , GoPro hero for FPV, 4 3s 2100 packs, auto pilot, GPS tracking system, downlink with pack, AND the thing was painted!!! He reported back to me that the plane did fly well and that at one time he lost bearing on the plane and just pulled back and throttled up. He said it did a giant loop with ease and the wing did just fine.

So here is what I know...The "original" wing is absolutely sound for hauling a DSLR around, this new wing will haul an unreal amount of weight as this has been proven to me. If it is built right and used as it should be there will be no issues.

Laying mags down will work, I myself like to babysit my joints and actually work them down. The GG can be hydraulic and push things up even when weighted. This is just my personal preference.

BatterysIncluded,

There will be about an inch of movement on the wing seat. This will allow some C.G. shift for various payload. Another front wing dowel may have to be added. The shifting of battery packs will also aid in C.G. shift, this is very easy with this fuse as there are plenty of cutout locations for alternate pack mounts. I think you could use an A-640 weight range camera if things were worked correctly. This said, my intent for this plane is for higher payload so it is hard to get a one size fits all while trying to keep things simple

Mike
power is offline Find More Posts by power