HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 20, 2011, 06:53 AM
East Texas
Joined Aug 2007
991 Posts
I'm getting close to finished with the Yak project. Last night I turned a thicker thrust washer on the lathe as the prop shaft was too long for the prop nut to seat to the prop.

Used clear liquid nails to install the baffle into the cowl.

Needed yet is to install blind nuts for mounting cowl with nylon screws and installing reinforcing tape inside cowl. Again this model is showing a lot of thought to fit... as the hold down bosses for the cowl are recessed for adding the fiberglass tape.

This model has certainly gone against the grain of Nitro Models being poor in fit and finish. The next might be poor, but this was a pleasure to work with.
AA5BY is offline Find More Posts by AA5BY
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Red
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 20, 2011, 12:00 PM
East Texas
Joined Aug 2007
991 Posts
I hope I'm not the only one who can't count.

I used a Harbor Freight battery tool pack to make two 6v packs for a dual setup for the Yak. I left them assembled as a brick. Testing a few minutes ago revealed one pack of 4.8 and the other of 7.2.

Yep, I can't count and had a 4 cell and a 6 cell pack.

Servos are awfully fast at 7.2v. I hope they survived.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 20, 2011, 04:07 PM
texas
Joined Jul 2009
199 Posts
AA5by how about some picture of your yak I don't know about the other but i would like to see it.
Talked to Floyd and his covering a stick his been working on this plane for at list 6 months i guess {just guessing}
luker737 is offline Find More Posts by luker737
Old Jan 20, 2011, 07:59 PM
East Texas
Joined Aug 2007
991 Posts
72" Nitro Models Yak 54 with Aero 28cc gas engine

Yep... the weather is plumb nasty.

The Yak is finished except routing the antenna wire, range testing (checking for RFI) and cycling the batteries a few times to ensure they are ok.

RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 20, 2011, 08:27 PM
East Texas
Joined Aug 2007
991 Posts
Mike... for your entertainment

http://pages.suddenlink.net/arlyn/propbite.WMV

Note how Dwain doesn't even take notice of Floyd's mishap, which was bleeding enough that he had to put a bandage on it.

Also interesting, this is the last fuel powered (diesel IIRC) plane that I recall Dwain flying.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 20, 2011, 11:33 PM
Newt1078
USA, TX, Longview
Joined Dec 2007
11 Posts
Dwain and Floyd with his finger in the prop

Arlyn, that must be a really old video as I have never seen Dwain with anything other than electric.
Thanks for sharing that little "ouch" with us.
Newt
Newt1078 is offline Find More Posts by Newt1078
Old Jan 21, 2011, 06:08 AM
East Texas
Joined Aug 2007
991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newt1078 View Post
Arlyn, that must be a really old video as I have never seen Dwain with anything other than electric.
Thanks for sharing that little "ouch" with us.
Newt
Around '02-03
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 21, 2011, 06:21 AM
East Texas
Joined Aug 2007
991 Posts
Newt... another thought from a while back, we need a Fossil Flyer group photo.

It should be an effort to get everyone. How about March 10, at the field, 3 PM. That is about six weeks off and should give everyone time to mark their calenders and for warmer weather to arrive. The date of course can be adjusted if someone now has that date blocked out.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 21, 2011, 07:28 AM
texas
Joined Jul 2009
199 Posts
Arlyn that a great looking plane thanks for sharing .And that a great idea to make a group photo of the fossil flyers .
Old Jan 21, 2011, 12:24 PM
Newt1078
USA, TX, Longview
Joined Dec 2007
11 Posts
Fossil Flyers Group Photo

Arlyn,
I like your idea about the group photo, I have a brand new digital 15MP camera and can handle that task with east.
The group we have now is probably the cream of the crop from past to present and it would be nice for each of us to have pictures to help remember in the future.
I think we should seriously think about this and talk about it the next time weather permits gathering at the field.

Regards,
Newt
Newt1078 is offline Find More Posts by Newt1078
Old Jan 21, 2011, 04:32 PM
Joined Mar 2004
10 Posts
If Dwain had kept the airplane still the prop would not have bit my finger. That is my story and I am sticking to it.
texflyer is offline Find More Posts by texflyer
Old Jan 21, 2011, 04:37 PM
Longview, Texas
Joined Jan 2004
3 Posts
Arlyn
Nice looking YAK can't wait to see it fly.

Eddie
G202flyer is offline Find More Posts by G202flyer
Old Jan 21, 2011, 07:27 PM
East Texas
Joined Aug 2007
991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G202flyer View Post
Arlyn
Nice looking YAK can't wait to see it fly.

Eddie
Thanks Eddie... not sure when it will be ready. I'm currently verifying flight batteries. Also, I've not yet ranged tested while running to check for RFI.

Arlyn

edit note: I'm coming to the conclusion that my flight batteries may not be good. I'd bought two (similar) Harbor Freight tool batteries about a year ago and had made up some 4 cell packs from one and used some cells in glow igniters and found them to be roughly 80% of their rated 1,000 mah value.

Cycling these two packs made from the other tool pack, they aren't doing so well at only 185 mah. I just checked the printing on the cells to discover that they are not the same. Unless this is an issue with both my ACE super cyclers when cycling 6v cells, these batteries are not good.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by AA5BY; Jan 21, 2011 at 07:52 PM.
Old Jan 22, 2011, 09:28 AM
texas
Joined Jul 2009
199 Posts
video

Texflyer. did you ever thin that dwain was trying to get your finger out of his airplane:confuse I noticed dwain never looked up or at your hand just restarted the engine.And i'll bet Dwain will never admit to it.LOL
Old Jan 23, 2011, 09:19 AM
Longview, Texas
Joined Jan 2004
3 Posts
Arlyn
I wouldn't trust those batteries at all. FYI the Yaks like to be balanced just a liittle on the tail, easy to handle and they roll better. My 42%ers are about 1-inch back of normal. No bad tendencies at all. Just food for thought.

Eddie
G202flyer is offline Find More Posts by G202flyer