HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 08, 2010, 10:48 PM
I love FPV!
Eastern side of Australia
Joined Jan 2007
4,650 Posts
Discussion
Futaba 9C - Lipo?

I am looking at this transmitter pack to replace my NiCd pack.

I am using a Futaba 9C. The default pack is a NiCd 9.6V. But the Lipo is 12.6V. I'm not an electronics boff, but that sounds like it would be overloading something? It's sold as a Futaba Tx battery so I would guess it would be OK.. but do I need to mod it or anything to make it not melt something?
Cralis is offline Find More Posts by Cralis
to remove ads between posts
Old May 09, 2010, 01:42 AM
most exalted one
Canada, BC, Blind Bay
Joined Aug 2002
3,607 Posts
I read that people have used LIPOS. I have been using the following this year and charging outside the TX. Seem to work fine.

http://okhobby.com/product.php?id_product=874
4*60 is offline Find More Posts by 4*60
Old May 12, 2010, 06:53 PM
Medford, Massachusetts USA
Joined Feb 2008
361 Posts
I have been using lipos in both my Futaba transmitters without any problem. It is nice to have enough battery power so that you don't have to worry about ever running out. I do charge mine outside of the transmitter. I charge the transmitter pack at 1C and once fully charged it last a very long time. I've yet to actually drain the battery 'in the field'. I'll top it off about once a month.

When you do order you transmitter pack have them put a balancing plug on it.
Stevedots is offline Find More Posts by Stevedots
Old May 12, 2010, 08:31 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2008
125 Posts
It's your own problem if you wanna burn your radio, it's not the first time a Lipo makes BOOOMM! http://rc.runryder.com/helicopter/t586477p1/
Andika is offline Find More Posts by Andika
Old May 13, 2010, 12:47 AM
most exalted one
Canada, BC, Blind Bay
Joined Aug 2002
3,607 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andika View Post
It's your own problem if you wanna burn your radio, it's not the first time a Lipo makes BOOOMM! http://rc.runryder.com/helicopter/t586477p1/
You are right. It's our own problem. Not like the 9C is an absurd $2000 TX or anything.
Somehow in that thread he says he charged outside the TX and then he says the radio was attached to the battery so the flames vented and burned the TX. Seems very questionable to me. But charging any cells can cause fires/excess heat.
4*60 is offline Find More Posts by 4*60
Old May 16, 2010, 08:29 AM
I love the smell of elapor....
Setauket, New York
Joined Oct 2009
309 Posts
i just started using a 2650 3c 11.1v Rhino tranmitter pack from Hobby King in my 9C.....started a few weekends ago.....love it...I maintain a constant voltage of 12.0v (+/- 0.2V) ....Since i use my 9C 72mhz for FPV, I feel assured I am getting max range and that my range isnt dropping with the tx voltage dropping. I used to have rechargable NiCad and would have 12.1 V at full charge and by the time I was done at the field i was at around 10.6.....maybe I am a freak, but I always worried that I'd get a voltage drop of 0.5 or something like that at the worst possible moment (ie when i am out 1 mile+ fpv or something).....anyway, I am no electronics genius either, but I do know that the mW and broadcast capacity of a tx is porportional to the volatage applied.......agree with with man above in that you ALWAYS charge the LiPo OUTSIDE the Tx with a BALANCE charge and NEVER use a standard trickly charger or whatever is used for ....talk about "boom"......i think if you treat your tx lipo like a flight lipo and take all the same precautions, this could be a good altenative for those concerned with max and constant voltage (like me)
MaximumBob is offline Find More Posts by MaximumBob
Old Sep 21, 2010, 10:27 PM
MO, USA
Joined Jun 2010
686 Posts
I've been running a 2600mah (iirc) lipo in my 9CAPS this week. It seems to work great, and voltage seems to hold well. After quite a bit of flying, I'm "finally" down to 11.4v. My old NiCd pack was getting weak, and it would go from full charge to "alarm" in a single session at the field.

I'm curious, though, if there's a way to recalibrate the low voltage alarm for the LiPo, vs the NiCd packs. That would be quite useful.
motoguy1 is offline Find More Posts by motoguy1
Old Sep 22, 2010, 06:38 AM
Aka: Tom Jenkins
United States, FL, West Palm Beach
Joined Aug 2008
4,508 Posts
Fwiw, I've used an e-flight 800ma lipo for the past three years in mine, all I do is plug the std radio lead into my lipo charger and it charges. wee!
ApexAero is offline Find More Posts by ApexAero
RCG Plus Member