SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 18, 2010, 12:39 AM
Kaiapoi , New Zealand
Joined Jun 2007
579 Posts
Bob..hope all is well with your family trip......I like the tractor but not as much as the pusher. The Pusher more like the full size.
When did you have time to put that together.
This build with the trike has to be the slowest for me as seem to be waiting on bits to build.Not to worry it will get done in the end.

The pilot is cut out and waiting for paint and fitting
Your post says you called Goodwinds ,am I assuming that another email might get some action?
cheers Graeme
mintie is offline Find More Posts by mintie
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 25, 2010, 01:22 AM
Kaiapoi , New Zealand
Joined Jun 2007
579 Posts
no update guys on the trike..I had an email from Goodwinds on June 19 informing me that the material I ordered had just come in and they would inform of the freight cost ....well surprise today there is a hugh bill on my credit card. yes the material is $12 and the freight is $38.....what a rip off ..If they had informed as stated I would of cancelled my order as it is just not worth it...So to any body out there who is thinking of using Goodwinds I would seriously reconsider before buying.
I will never be ordering anything from them again and will be letting my mates know as well.
Over the years have bought a lot of bits from dealers in the USA and have had good service. This is just a rip off,and very poor communications.
cheers Mintie
Old Jun 25, 2010, 07:33 PM
Joined Oct 2009
48 Posts
Mintie,
I apoligize for Goodwinds service (or lack of). I did a little research and came up with the following.
intothewind.com (has ripstop)
awindofchange.com (has edge connectors)
funwithwind.com (has both)
I personally have done business with the first two with good results. I haven't tried fun with wind yet.

I have used tubing purchased at aquarium supply stores to make edge connectors and this method works also. Simply wrap tubing with thread and saturate thread with ca. This information I will include in a revision to instructions.
robros is offline Find More Posts by robros
Old Jun 26, 2010, 12:07 AM
Kaiapoi , New Zealand
Joined Jun 2007
579 Posts
Received an email this morning appologizing for their stuff up and they will refund my freight,so suppose that is something.
Will wait now for the goods so as to continue with the build.
I put a stop to the building untill this problem was sorted as wasnt sure if the trike would continue to go ahead.
Old Jun 28, 2010, 04:10 AM
Kaiapoi , New Zealand
Joined Jun 2007
579 Posts
Hi Rob....Is the cg marked on the plan .....been through but seemed to of missed it.
I am doing it a little different with the electronics lay out, so my esc is as far from my RX. as possible and running a bigger battery. cheers Graeme
Old Jun 28, 2010, 08:51 PM
Joined Oct 2009
48 Posts
Center of Gravity

Graeme,
CG is where the spar crosses the keel on the kite. To balance the plane, hold it up by touching the spar only, and check to make sure that the fuselage ia level. I think I have built to many rogallos and didn't think to enter the most important aspect of a plane. Of course this wil be entered in the addendum files.

You can do a neat glide test on your kite. Put a small spring clamp where the spar crosses keel and gently release it. adjust the spring clamp for perfect glide and mark for the true center of gravity. Should be very close.

Next, does it glide left or right, If so, move keel along the spar and make a mark again. You can use a small zip tie to hold the spar and keel together for this test.

I think it would be good to use a 100mah or so more on the lipo I suggested. This would make up a good balance because you are using a foam pilot rather than coroplast.

Please remind me to show you how I balance the plane after construction by holding the plane vertical on the prop adapter and adjusting the battery for height.
Bob Moore
Old Jul 03, 2010, 02:41 AM
Kaiapoi , New Zealand
Joined Jun 2007
579 Posts
Finally back into building the trike..All my bits are now here. I have taken a few liberties in the design and doing some changes to suit myself.
In the pylon you can see a servo which I intend to use as a weight shift for the frame against the wing.
I dont fly 3 channel so need to use the fourth.This will be an experiment to see if this shift works or not.
The tail fin has a carbon insert to stiffen it up ,as also the tail plane does. cheers Graeme
Old Jul 06, 2010, 04:26 AM
Kaiapoi , New Zealand
Joined Jun 2007
579 Posts
A bit more of an update for anybody that is following this build.
Old Jul 06, 2010, 04:36 AM
Joined Oct 2009
48 Posts
Graeme,

Looks wonderful. Very nice and light-weight. Maybe with your build it will generate more interest. I just made a new fuselage (used kite from other plane) and flew it for my grandchildren. I improved the servo linkage and will try to get some pics of it up tomorrow. You will definitely love you new plane, almost completed.

Bob
Old Jul 06, 2010, 07:24 AM
When pigs fly rc
USA, NY, Chester
Joined Apr 2008
2,469 Posts
looks great , get a video when you test fly it....
rcrich is offline Find More Posts by rcrich
Old Jul 17, 2010, 09:22 PM
Kaiapoi , New Zealand
Joined Jun 2007
579 Posts
Here is the lastest up date for the thread followers. cheers
Old Jul 18, 2010, 12:23 PM
Enough Power? -NEVER ENOUGH!
North-Eastern Saskatchewan, Canada -Eh?!
Joined Apr 2008
1,386 Posts
i might have to try this sometime it looks very interesting
monboy10 is offline Find More Posts by monboy10
Old Jul 18, 2010, 11:10 PM
Joined Oct 2009
48 Posts
Graeme,
The first thing that came to mind was the "flamingo",legs and all.
Great attention to detail and making it so lightweight. I like the billows inflated as you have with the help of the zips. Rogallos look to droopy with sails hanging down. Amost ready to flyyyy.

Bob Moore
Old Jul 19, 2010, 02:48 AM
Kaiapoi , New Zealand
Joined Jun 2007
579 Posts
Thanks Bob....will be a week away from flying as we are off to a float flyin in the weekend.[3 days].So all things that use water will be there.[including boats] Perhaps I should try some reallllllight floats some time on this.
Painting pilot at present
good rego for the trike ZK- FLMingo
cheers Graeme