SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by Sandancer, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old May 08, 2010, 02:46 PM
"Auntie Samantha"
USA, MO, Clever
Joined Dec 2009
4,735 Posts
Build Log
P-51D: The Nerve System! Electronics!

The Nerve System! Electronics!

This is the Electronic set-up in my P-51.

ESC: Pentium 60A w/3A BEC
BEC: Castle Creations 10A
Reciever: Futaba 2.4Ghz R617FS
Landing Gear.............DSR2-46T Titan Electronic Retracts / Titan Tricycle Version
Quanum 2.4Ghz Telemetry System
Navigation Lights.......RC Lander / Hunter series
LG / BD sequencer.....MicroGear
14-Pin Wiring Harness...Futurlec Multiplex Header

Servos:
Elevator....................HiTech HS-82MG
Rudder/Tail Wheel......Hextronic MG 14
Ailerons....................HXT900 9g
Flaps........................HXT900 9g 1 servo reversed.
Bay Doors.................HXT900 9g

NOTE: I don't trust servo extension connectors as they can work loose, so I solder in my own lead extensions to whatever length I need. I also make my own Y-Cables, and in the case of this Mustang I made a 3 wire Y or X (what ever you want to call it) off the BEC lead into the RX. One for the DSR Controller, one for the MicroGear, and one for the Lander controller (See UP-DATES). I also installed a mini switch in the Lander lead so I can manually switch the lights on/off.
NOTE: Here is a diagram from Castle Creations showing the proper way to wire a BEC into your RX. This method applies to all BEC's, not just the CC's.
NOTE: Reverse Servos! Here is an excellent video on how to DIY reverse wire a servo. Unlike the Weller solder gun that NightFlyyer is using here, I prefer a pin tipped soldering iron for more intricate soldering, especially when working on those 9g servos!

How to REVERSE a Servo. (4 min 32 sec)

UP-DATE 5/15/2010:
I made a Mock-Up of how I have the Electronics wired into the 'Stang using the CC 10A BEC and multiple power leads, thus eliminating the need for auxiliary batteries.

UP-DATE 6/27/2010: Posted are some various battery monitors to help keep track of those LiPOs.

The Battery Monitor 2-6S and the Cell Spy+ both plug into the balancer leads on 2-6 cell Lipos.
The Hextronic Voltage Display plugs into any available RX terminal. Or you can remove the servo terminal and splice the 2 leads into your battery lead. Mount the display anywhere you like on the fuse, and those bright LEDS will tell you the state of the battery as you do a slow fly-by!
The Cell-Log Cell Voltage Monitor is an on-board monitor which can be connected to a PC via USB.
Of course there is always the Quanum 2.4Ghz Telemetry System. It gives real-time and accurate voltage, current, mAh and temperature display plus low voltage warnings. You can see how I made an adapter to fit the receiver on my Futaba 7C TX in the "My Big P-51 Transporter! & Un-Related/Related Mods!" section of this Blog.

UP-DATE 7/20/2010: Because of my Bay Door mod, I haven't figured a way to do the 1-piece wing mod as illustrated by Tom Hunt & ChrisF's outstanding modifications. So I came up with a solution to the recurring task of unplugging multiple connectors every time I had to remove the wings! Because of the addition of the Nav lights I was needing a multiplex connector with at least 11 pins, small in size, and lightweight. My solution came in the form of these 14-Pin Header Connectors from Futurlec. These headers utilize the same pins as used in a standard servo connector, but in a larger capacity, so they make removing the wings a less tedious operation.

P 51 Electronics (1 min 34 sec)
Sandancer is online now Find More Posts by Sandancer
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Sandancer; Aug 24, 2012 at 11:54 AM. Reason: Attachments
to remove ads between posts
Old May 08, 2010, 05:42 PM
Joined Jun 2009
179 Posts
Hey how much was that?
JoeKagan is offline Find More Posts by JoeKagan
Old May 08, 2010, 05:59 PM
The Revegetator
Melbourne Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,060 Posts
Great blog Gaz, now we can easily find all your fantastic mods for this great model.
Chris F is online now Find More Posts by Chris F
Old May 10, 2010, 09:31 AM
"Auntie Samantha"
USA, MO, Clever
Joined Dec 2009
4,735 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKagan View Post
Hey how much was that?
Joe, I'm not sure I know what your question is directed to?
RCG Plus Member
Old May 10, 2010, 09:34 AM
"Auntie Samantha"
USA, MO, Clever
Joined Dec 2009
4,735 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris F View Post
Great blog Gaz, now we can easily find all your fantastic mods for this great model.
Thanks Chris, I appreciate it! After 4 days working of getting this thing up and running, I am suffering from severe "Blogarhea" this morning!

Gary
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 07, 2011, 05:09 PM
Crazy, not stupid
Zwolle, The Netherlands
Joined May 2007
951 Posts
*Kick worthy thread*

Could I please ask about the following?

"This particular adapter powers off the 4s LiPo's balance connector. You can get them for 3s-6s LiPo's."

Where can I find those (I tried searching but I really have no idea what to call them - something like a needle and a haystack) and what are they called?

Looks like voltage of two cells is used to power something else? (I bought a seperate BEC for my FMS Mustang but it turns out to only be powered by 2S lipo - and of course I don't want another battery in there!)

thanks a lot! I saved this blog in my favorites and one day I'll remove the mess of wires and do your mod
sadkingbilly is offline Find More Posts by sadkingbilly