HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 08, 2010, 10:58 AM
Joensuu, Finland
Joined Mar 2002
1,505 Posts
Question
Is it possible to cheat on blood pressure test?

Sorry for a non-political post, but my full-size medical is at stake and I could use some help..

The problem is my blood pressure which seems to hover at about 170/85. With concious psyching I can get it down to 165/80 but the limit is 160/95. Stupid of me to leave it unchecked until the last minute, but it never has given any symptoms and it never occured to me that it could be an issue. I know how to properly deal with it, but have only two weeks and need to do it without traces in my medical records.

So, any suggestions for a quick and dirty, possibly short-time fix? Is there any non-prescription medication? Heavy exercice until a day or two before test? Anything..?
jkettu is offline Find More Posts by jkettu
Old May 08, 2010, 11:01 AM
All under control, Grommit!
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,648 Posts
Log off from LTUP for a couple of weeks?

J/k
leccyflyer is offline Find More Posts by leccyflyer
Old May 08, 2010, 11:13 AM
Out of Time
United States, TX
Joined Jul 2003
1,092 Posts
I can't say for sure about Finland, but being on a high-blood pressure medication in America is no problem at all.
What's important is that you get it to allowable values, and it shouldn't matter if you take medications to do that or not.

On the other hand, if you hang around LTUP too long, you will undoubtedly have to start taking some kind of prescription psychotropic drug to calm you down, and being on a mind altering drug for any reason raises all sorts of red flags during your medical.

Seriously, you need to work with your general practitioner to get your blood pressure down. Once you do that with prescription drugs, I doubt if you'll have any issues for your aviation medical.
Highflight is offline Find More Posts by Highflight
Old May 08, 2010, 11:18 AM
LcJ
Forever TMWT Pilot #11
United States, LA, Monroe
Joined Mar 2003
5,935 Posts
Drink a six pack of beer before the physical and it might help. Of course then you would get written up for being an alcoholic.

Blowing one's kidneys, heart, and/or brains is not a good idea. Neither are stokes.

Get it fixed.
LcJ is online now Find More Posts by LcJ
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RC Logger's Eye One Xtreme Quad
Old May 08, 2010, 11:26 AM
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined May 2004
96 Posts
Try a couple of regular aspirin.
Marvinwc is offline Find More Posts by Marvinwc
Old May 08, 2010, 12:05 PM
United States, NC, Surf City
Joined Oct 2003
389 Posts
Try doing some yoga breathing one minute before and during the test. Take deep breaths (count to four, six or eight if you can), taking equally as long for inhalation and exhalation, while trying not to think of anything except maybe the sound of wind or waves (or visualizing your red or orange sailplane or Old Timer against a blue sky with puffy clouds).
Bob HSG is online now Find More Posts by Bob HSG
Old May 08, 2010, 12:13 PM
Trons and Fumes
Fallon, NV
Joined Mar 2007
5,038 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkettu View Post
Sorry for a non-political post, but my full-size medical is at stake and I could use some help..

The problem is my blood pressure which seems to hover at about 170/85. With concious psyching I can get it down to 165/80 but the limit is 160/95. Stupid of me to leave it unchecked until the last minute, but it never has given any symptoms and it never occured to me that it could be an issue. I know how to properly deal with it, but have only two weeks and need to do it without traces in my medical records.

So, any suggestions for a quick and dirty, possibly short-time fix? Is there any non-prescription medication? Heavy exercice until a day or two before test? Anything..?
My suggestion is the one you do not desire.

Get medical attention for your medical problem. Hiding it for other purposes is a very short-term goal; one that could shorten your lifespan.

Other than that, relaxation techniques may provide some short-term benefits. "Happy Place," deep breathing....
wrightme is offline Find More Posts by wrightme
Old May 08, 2010, 12:46 PM
Build/Fly/Crash/Repeat
United States, HI, Kapalua
Joined Jan 2002
1,200 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightme View Post
My suggestion is the one you do not desire.

Get medical attention for your medical problem. Hiding it for other purposes is a very short-term goal; one that could shorten your lifespan.

Other than that, relaxation techniques may provide some short-term benefits. "Happy Place," deep breathing....
This is correct advice. You need to do whatever is necessary to reduce it, which at those numbers indicate meds, at least in the short term. Taking BP meds is not that big a deal. Diet, weight loss and exercise may help in the long term.

Those are dangerous numbers and need to be reduced immediately. They don't call high blood pressure the silent killer for nothing.

If you don't take long term action you are placing yourself at a higher risk for a heart attack or a stroke. Ask me how I know.
CoastalFlyer is offline Find More Posts by CoastalFlyer
Old May 08, 2010, 01:03 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2008
2,937 Posts
And I would think the last place you would ever want to have that heart attack or stroke would be in the left seat of a cockpit
init4fun is offline Find More Posts by init4fun
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old May 08, 2010, 01:05 PM
Don't look at me like that....
United States, AR, McDougal
Joined Aug 2005
2,801 Posts
I have plenty of Gomers' come to ER and try to make theirs go up. I can always tell.

There's no way to "cheat" on a physical.

Though aspirin may help in the long run ( helps thin blood among other things ) it's not a short term fix. Hypertention can be reversed by proper eating, exercise and lowering your cholesterol and medications if needed. But do not take it lightly. It is a killer.

As far as trying to get it down in two weeks without medication, rest, relax, mild exercise, drink plenty of water, eat right, no smoking or etoh, don't worry and mostly only check it about every three days. Believe me, the more you check it (during a single setting), the higher it will go. Also, follow up with your PCP. 160/80 is not that bad, but youy would rather have it around 120 to 140. The diastolic (top number) is more important than the systolic (bottom).
62pilot is offline Find More Posts by 62pilot
Old May 08, 2010, 01:11 PM
United States, PA, Union
Joined Sep 2007
202 Posts
I left my high BP go for too long. Had a Heart attack at age 50. Was not obese, did not have high cholesteral, just the high BP. Don't ignore it! Get it treated.
curly56 is offline Find More Posts by curly56
Old May 08, 2010, 01:35 PM
Joensuu, Finland
Joined Mar 2002
1,505 Posts
LoL! As a completely non-political and non-religious person I find ltup the most entertaining forum on rcg.

The problem, according to JAR FCL3, is:
"Treatment for the control of blood
pressure shall be compatible with the safe exercise
of the privileges of the applicable licence(s) and be
[ ][compliant] with paragraph 4 Appendix 1 to
Subpart C. The initiation of [ ][medication] shall
require a period of temporary suspension of the
medical certificate to establish the absence of
significant side effects.
" (Bold mine)

I'm not sure exactly what is involved with the temporary suspension, but knowing local bureaucrats, starting proper treatment now might blow the whole season. As said, I have never had any symptoms.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.
jkettu is offline Find More Posts by jkettu
Old May 08, 2010, 01:54 PM
Build/Fly/Crash/Repeat
United States, HI, Kapalua
Joined Jan 2002
1,200 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkettu View Post
LoL! As a completely non-political and non-religious person I find ltup the most entertaining forum on rcg.

The problem, according to JAR FCL3, is:
"Treatment for the control of blood
pressure shall be compatible with the safe exercise
of the privileges of the applicable licence(s) and be
[ ][compliant] with paragraph 4 Appendix 1 to
Subpart C. The initiation of [ ][medication] shall
require a period of temporary suspension of the
medical certificate to establish the absence of
significant side effects. " (Bold mine)

I'm not sure exactly what is involved with the temporary suspension, but knowing local bureaucrats, starting proper treatment now might blow the whole season. As said, I have never had any symptoms.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.
I didn't have any "symptoms" either. Cholesterol was 109 (very low) - right up until my heart attack - at 47!
I'm now 61, low BP (124/71 last week), Cholesterol at 114. Diet, exercise, meds, weight loss, eat smart.

Silent killer - there is frequently no warning.

I understand you don't want your flying curtailed, but if you don't fix this you'll fail the physical anyhow. If you have a heart attack or stroke, they'll likely pull your license. Permanently.

62pilot gave you some good advice. He's a health care professional and knows what he's talking about.

Take care of yourself and good luck.

BTW, reduce your sodium intake significantly. It will increase your BP.
CoastalFlyer is offline Find More Posts by CoastalFlyer
Old May 08, 2010, 02:02 PM
WAA-08 Survivor
Joined May 2004
2,644 Posts
My BP is normal, but I dropped it 10 points during the course of a doctors visit once.

When it was first taken at the beginning, I was in a foul mood for having to wait an hour for my appointment on a busy day. At the end of the appointment it had gone down significantly.

So, being relaxed and happy helps!

-Steve
Griffin is online now Find More Posts by Griffin
Old May 08, 2010, 03:23 PM
AustinTatious
Hurst, Texas, United States
Joined Jul 2003
1,952 Posts
Mu suggestions,

Run for 20 minutes every day... In 2 weeks you will see results.
take an aspirin every day.
Practice relaxing... Get a heart rate monitor and learn to slow your rate and relax. Get yourself nice and calm before you go into the medical office and do what you have practiced during the exam.

I don't know if you fly 91 , 121 or 135 but if your situation allows and you may have a week where you don't need/have to fly, get an extra week of running/cardio in!
AustinTatious is offline Find More Posts by AustinTatious