to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 27, 2010, 06:31 AM
NDw
Ireland, Limerick, Kilmallock
Joined Aug 2010
2,123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gree View Post
Snap! Great minds Kev. Mine shipped today. Did you get yours yet? I too want to mount a go pro. I was also thinking of using a 5000mAh battery, not sure if it'll be too heavy with all of that gear.

Can you post pics of your layout when you build?

I am using this motor, should scream... 3400KV, 350W
To be honest I don't think that's a very good motor for fpving it, because it needs such a small prop(unless you have a bungee laucher). I had a motor that needed a 4.1 x 4.1 prop on it and even with just a 2200 mah 3s and no fpv gear it was tricky to launch unless there was a good breeze.
NDw is offline Find More Posts by NDw
Old Oct 27, 2010, 10:33 AM
Flying FPV from the lab.
Canada, AB, Lethbridge
Joined Jun 2008
2,100 Posts
I want to weigh my skyfun. There is an optimum weight for good flight characteristics. I've flown this plane too light (bounces around a lot), too heavy (needs lots of power to stay airborne, and lands like a sack of bricks). But when you get the weight just right, this plane is easy to launch, flies smooth as a baby's bottom, goes where it's told to and still is able to fly a jogging speed if needed.

Check out this RAW flight. Uncut and unedited.
Smooth & Fun RAW flight (8 min 22 sec)

Currently, I would consider the plane a good weight. I am carrying:
1 - 3000mah 35c 7.4v main flight batt
1 - 1050mah 30c 11.1v video batt
1 - Qsee 480tvl board cam
1 - RV 900mhz 200mW video TX
1 - Lost plane finder alarm
1 - Corona RP8D1
1 - 2826-6 2200KV motor w/8x6 APC prop
1 - custom aluminum motor mount
2 - depron winglets on the tips of the wings (reduces wag)

Some tips:
-The skyartec servos are OK for a few flights/landings. Plastic gears strip - especially with the linkages being on the bottom of a belly-landing plane. Replace with metal gear servos ASAP.

-The tape that is used on the ailerons will dry up and let go. Recommend re-doing with high quality fibre tape for the tightest response.

-Oh yeah, never try to rely on the canopy clips They suck. Recommend tape or elastic band. Nothing worse than losing plane parts mid-flight.

-Definately use 50-70% expo on the elevons. Smooths out the flight considerably.

Coulee Cruising (3 min 1 sec)

Damn, I love this plane. How could a chunk of foam bring so much happiness???
aaron_gx is offline Find More Posts by aaron_gx
Last edited by aaron_gx; Oct 27, 2010 at 11:26 AM.
Old Dec 11, 2010, 07:53 PM
Fly Like A Thing Posessed!
USA, FL, Fort Myers
Joined Nov 2010
1,777 Posts
Arise, thread, and join my thread zombie army!

So many things to say... First, I loved following along as you designed and improved your FPV Skyfun. I'm working on one of my own... Did the first test of the video link in the air last week and it worked great. I didn't fly it by FPV, I'm waiting for a better motor and some refinements before I attempt that as it will be my very first FPV experience and I want to do it carefully.

You're a great pilot! I could feel the excitment right along with you as you snaked the plane down into those little canyons and between trees, very nice flying. I was wondering... Do the bursts of static make you flinch while you're flying? I put the video (the unedited one) up full screen to watch it and flinched a couple of times when the static bursts hit. I was wondering if this was ever an issue that you had to overcome.

Another thing... I was wondering if you ever resolved your issue of too much wind noise with the mic. I've done lots of work with microphones of my own design (been an electronics hobbyist since I was a kid), and when I read that from you, I immediately had some ideas. I think the best one, if you haven't tried this already, is to actually embed the mic board or at least the mic element into the plane's fuselage foam, and then entomb it with glue to make sure it's all sealed in. This has a a double effect - one, it seals off air, which is what your main problem is, and two, it connects the mic to the body, using it as a solid conduit for sound. Think of it as like the old trick of checking for a train by leaning one's ear to the rail. Train is on the tracks, transmitting it's vibrations down the metal rail by direct contact, and then to your ear which is also in contact with the track. It forms a much more efficient sound path for anything that is connected to the mass that the mic is buried in, like the motor and the servos. You'll get some wind rumble as well, but it won't be nearly as overwhelming as having the mic in the air inside the canopy, which even if you glued the canopy down, the foam and clear plastic would still flex enough to cause the air inside the canopy to compress and decompress from the air impacting it on the outside.

Wow... you use a big prop!

I see you're using the Corona RP8D1 receiver... Do you have to do anything in order to make it work for elevon planes like the Skyfun or is it just as simple as hooking it up and doing some kind of transmitter learning thing? Did you stay with your stock Skyartec transmitter or are you using something else? Does the Corona really improve the range of control like they suggest it does?

So many questions, so little time... Thanks for putting up! :-)

Rick NR417
NightRunner417 is offline Find More Posts by NightRunner417
Old Dec 12, 2010, 11:38 AM
Flying FPV from the lab.
Canada, AB, Lethbridge
Joined Jun 2008
2,100 Posts
Hi!

Thanks for checking it out! I love my skyfun, and still fly it every chance I get. Its been my favorite plane to date bar-none. I ordered the ARF version without reciever or transmitter. I use a futaba 7CAP, which has built in elevon function, so I can use any reciever. The range of the RP8D1 is the best 72mhz PPM I have had yet. I have taken my skyfun out to about 2km, but not much further. I dont have the need to venture that far.

I use a big prop now because I am using a lower voltage battery. With a 7.4v and 8x6 prop I have just as much jam as using 11.1v and 6x5 prop. I can hold vertical for about 5-6 seconds before the nose starts to drop.

Static bugs me, but I am used to blips and small dropouts. The big dropouts bother me when Im not expecting it (in the coulee cruising vid, I totally lost video behind a hill and that was scarry, I couldnt hear the plane anymore either!).

Here's a video from a while ago. This was fun:
Downhill Practice (3 min 1 sec)

I included some pics of my latest setup, this is the third setup I've done, and this is the best yet. I cant believe how tough this chunk of foam is.

Sky-Fun-Damentals (3 min 6 sec)

Here's what the skyfun looks like too heavy (not nose heavy). It just flies like a brick.

Aaron
Old Feb 11, 2011, 01:16 PM
Plane Destroyer / Life Enjoyer
Miami, FL
Joined May 2009
3,500 Posts
@nightrunner - if this is your first actual FPV experience you are going to have problems. I am a seasoned pilot, I would like to think that I could fly any plane that you put in front of me and my first time up in the air FPV was way different then anything I have ever experienced. You may have heard this before but I would keep this plane in the Hangar for now and build a glider like the Sky Surfer or the EZ.

I am about to build one of these for FPV but that is after 20-30 flights on my Sky Surfer.

Just my 2 cents.

As far as putting on a mic to avoid getting all the busy wind noise just put the mic on backwards and have a bit of threaded fiber tape overlapping it. This will cancel out all of the wind noise.

@aaron - why are you using such a large battery for your video gear? I use a 400 mah 3s to power my camera and (500mw) VTX and it is more then enough. Would save you some weight.
airbagit13 is offline Find More Posts by airbagit13
Old Feb 11, 2011, 07:32 PM
Flying FPV from the lab.
Canada, AB, Lethbridge
Joined Jun 2008
2,100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by airbagit13 View Post
@nightrunner - if this is your first actual FPV experience you are going to have problems. I am a seasoned pilot, I would like to think that I could fly any plane that you put in front of me and my first time up in the air FPV was way different then anything I have ever experienced. You may have heard this before but I would keep this plane in the Hangar for now and build a glider like the Sky Surfer or the EZ.

I am about to build one of these for FPV but that is after 20-30 flights on my Sky Surfer.

Just my 2 cents.

As far as putting on a mic to avoid getting all the busy wind noise just put the mic on backwards and have a bit of threaded fiber tape overlapping it. This will cancel out all of the wind noise.

@aaron - why are you using such a large battery for your video gear? I use a 400 mah 3s to power my camera and (500mw) VTX and it is more then enough. Would save you some weight.
After some initail grief with his skyfun, as a first plane, Nightrunner bought himself an easystar. Since, he's had numerous FPV flights, search and locate plane rescue, and GPS locating a lost piece of equipment using only the footage from the ground recorder as reference Hes doing great! He'll be FPVing the skyfun soon I'm sure.

I had a mic for a while on my skyfun, but found it unnessesary for myself. Just another peice of equipment cluttering stuff up.

The only reason to run the 1050mah 3s was availability. It was all I had. This season I've blown some of my limited RC budget on various size small 3s batteries for just this reason. I got a few 3s 460mah's, a 3s 850mah all for video. Got a buncha extra flight packs, and this baby:

Cant wait to get out there and tear it up, learn its characteristics, and add FPV gear. Might have to upgrade the EDF fan to accomodate extra weight...
Old Feb 16, 2011, 09:44 PM
Fly Like A Thing Posessed!
USA, FL, Fort Myers
Joined Nov 2010
1,777 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron_gx View Post
After some initail grief with his skyfun, as a first plane, Nightrunner bought himself an easystar. Since, he's had numerous FPV flights, search and locate plane rescue, and GPS locating a lost piece of equipment using only the footage from the ground recorder as reference Hes doing great! He'll be FPVing the skyfun soon I'm sure.
My reputation preceeds me, lol. Actually, until two days ago I hadn't flown actual FPV with goggles. I had been just recording the feed to my laptop whilst flying LOS. Well... on Tuesday morning I finally worked up the guts to do the real thing... And wow... Talk about a different kind of experience. It was scary and thrilling all at once. I even lost the plane in the sun for a few seconds (which felt like a few minutes) and had to calm myself down and turn her around completely blind and hope for the best. Thank God it's an EasyStar... they're awfully forgiving where I doubt if I'd have been able to pull it off with the Skyfun. Then too... I've become a better pilot since I hangared the Skyfun, so who knows.

And about that plane... I'm starting to miss her. The EZ is a hell of a plane, very forgiving as I said, and aerobatic enough with the right mods and upgrades and all that... but she will never be an elevon delta. The "fun" in Skyfun is the way that plane can zing all around and do all kinds of crazy things, many of which the EZ just was not made for. So... I'm missing that. And, if you're gonna rebuild a plane, of course it would be a sin not to FPV it as well, so there ya go, haha. Besides, I'm pretty sure I could do a lot better at it now. :-)

Thanks for the compliments, Aaron. I'm tryin'! :-)

Rick NR417
NightRunner417 is offline Find More Posts by NightRunner417
Old Feb 16, 2011, 10:14 PM
USA: LakeGeorge, New York
USA
Joined May 2010
4,526 Posts
what is your runtime without throttle management?

also, what mah 3s Lipo's are you guys using for maximum
runtime?

I know if I buy one of these, I'll have to upgrade to a new motor/prop.
(any suggestions for maximum effeciency power setup for long duration flights?)..... thanks

p.s.

I had a Stock Parkzone Stryker for FPV and I used
3s 2200mah flight pack,.... I could only manage 9 minutes tops
of flying
before my Lipo alarm was screaming. I couldn't go out too far
b/c runtime was soo poor :-(

plus handLaunching was scary as heck,
full throttle with the prop in the back spinning.....
eeeeek

that is why I sold my ParkZone Stryker FPV, I disliked the runtimes.....
rclab1 is offline Find More Posts by rclab1
Last edited by rclab1; Feb 16, 2011 at 10:20 PM.
Old Feb 16, 2011, 10:21 PM
USA
Joined May 2010
4,526 Posts
.... are you guys also using 2s Lipo for flight pack?
Old Feb 16, 2011, 10:36 PM
Flying FPV from the lab.
Canada, AB, Lethbridge
Joined Jun 2008
2,100 Posts
Im using a 2s 3000mah 35c lipo for the flight pack. I do this so I can use a huge prop 8x6 on a 2826/6 2200kv motor. I get just as much thrust and more efficient than when I used a 3s 2200 with a 6x6 prop.

I can get up to 12 minute flights, and wide open the whole flight (very addictive at 5 ft off the deck) I get only 6-7min. Im reducing the size of my video battery this year, so I might go with a larger 2s pack...

My skyfun isnt a long distance machine. I find an open space, and rape it.
Old Feb 16, 2011, 11:09 PM
Post # 20 million
Joined Aug 2009
2,636 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron_gx View Post
I find an open space, and rape it.
hahahha that's a keeper!.

Been watching your videos aaron while i'm waiting for my motor/esc to arrive.

I'm looking forward to fpv'n this bad boy.

Cheers, Kev.
Kev.au is offline Find More Posts by Kev.au
Old Feb 17, 2011, 06:48 AM
USA
Joined May 2010
4,526 Posts
Thanks Aaron
for the info.....

with the motor/prop set up you have,
is the 2s 3000mah flight Lipo conservative?
or is that largest mah capacity you can put on
until it gets too heavy?

thanks
Old Feb 17, 2011, 12:27 PM
Flying FPV from the lab.
Canada, AB, Lethbridge
Joined Jun 2008
2,100 Posts
I found that the weight I have right now (not sure of AUW) is perfect for this plane, and what I like to do with it. I draw 43A WOT on 2s, and its got enough thrust to go vertical for 8-10 seconds before the nose starts to drop.

If I put more weight in it, it would fly funny. I have a video (its called skyfundamentals) where I had too much weight for the plane. It was too fast, and landed like a ton of bricks. Had to maintain 3/4 throttle to stay in the air.

With my smalled video batt, I think I'll up my 3000mah 2s to a 4000mah 2s. I will see how it works out.

Kev.au, that skyfun looks killer. Make sure you beef up your motor mount sufficiently. The plastic/pot metal bracket will fail quickly.