HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 07, 2010, 10:13 PM
I added lift to my stable!
Knoxville, TN
Joined Feb 2007
647 Posts
Discussion
New Guy looking for some Foamie, Spektrum and power advice . . .

Hi Guys,

Been lurking here for a while now and couldnt resist any longer

I am interested in putting together a particular plane setup and really could use some patience and a few solid answers. So far, you guys seem to be a really helpful bunch. Ive been trying to do alot of reading and that may have been my mistake, because I seem to have gotten myself lost in all of the "details." Anyway here goes . . .

The Plane: Performance Model Model Aviation EV (Great Local Guy)
http://www.rcfoamy.com/page2.html

Specs:
  • Flying Weight 14-17 oz. with battery
  • 6mm Depron Constructed, CNC cut
  • Wing Span 36 Inches
  • Motor Setup AXI 2212/26, Dualsky XM 2830CA-12, or Himax HC 2812-0850
  • Uses 18-25 amp ESC
  • Uses fours HS-55 Servos
  • 3 cell lipo battery 850-1000 mah range

My Radio:
  • Spektrum Dx7 (aircraft)
  • AR7000
  • 4qty DS821 Servos

1. Based on all of the reading, re-reading and reading again
    I think, due to size and weight limitations with this model, I need to look for a smaller and lighter rx.
  2. People really like the Dx7 and Spektrum makes some good receivers.
  3. In order to help with the reliability and avoid low voltage issues with the rx, I need to see if I cant build the system to work at 6 volts rather than 4.8 or lower.
  4. I'd like to use the AXI 2212/26 for a motor, a CastleCreations ESC, HS 55 Servos and possibly AR6200rx.
  5. I'd like to do everything possible (even in this smaller light plane) to ensure that I never drop low enough to enter lockout/control loss that I have read about in various places.

Will someone please take the time to enlighten me and let me know what their thoughts are on all of this. I know that there are many lightweight options in the RX, but I have read alot of scary things about some of the 6100, 6110 and even the 6200. A trusted source also suggest that I might go with the AR6250. I would love some other great suggestions on an equivalent or better motor option etc.

I plan on flying the heck out of this plane and I'm more worried about the quality/dependability of the parts than the initial cost.

Thanks in advance . . . Tbird -Out-
tbird911 is offline Find More Posts by tbird911
to remove ads between posts
Old May 08, 2010, 09:15 AM
I'm going flying..........
Ramona,CA
Joined Feb 2008
620 Posts
You asked? My 2 cents.....

1. Yes a AR7000 is a little chunky on this size model. My choice would be a AR6110e. I personally have the older version AR6100 for this size foamy and would not part w/them. But if all I had laying around was a 7000 I'd throw it on and go fly-in.

2.? Not sure if this is a question or statement.

3. The BEC built into a basic ESC will power this size system just fine. Do not over complicate a simple foamy. A good quality ESC like CC (I'd recommend a ThunderBird 18amp)will do just fine.

4. All good choices, but top of the line gear, that comes at a higher $$$$ You can do a nice little foamy this size on a budget. Motor, ESC, 4xServos and a LiPo for less than $100 and you will have a great time. PM me if you want budget advise or direction.

5. Do not get all wrapped up in the hottest this or that "It's just a foamy". You will or should crash it at some time. It's all about having fun learning to fly.
rpmrpm is online now Find More Posts by rpmrpm
Last edited by rpmrpm; May 08, 2010 at 09:22 AM.
Old May 08, 2010, 09:26 AM
I added lift to my stable!
Knoxville, TN
Joined Feb 2007
647 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpmrpm View Post
You asked? My 2 cents.....

1. Yes a AR7000 is a little chunky on this size model. My choice would be a AR6110e. I personally have the older version AR6100 for this size foamy and would not part w/them. But if all I had laying around was a 7000 I'd throw it on and go fly-in.

2.? Not sure if this is a question or statement.

3. The BEC built into a basic ESC will power this size system just fine. Do not over complicate a simple foamy. A good quality ESC like CC (I'd recommend a ThunderBird 18amp)will do just fine.

4. All good choices, but top of the line gear, that comes at a higher $$$$ You can do a nice little foamy this size on a budget. Motor, ESC, 4xServos and a LiPo for less than $100 and you will have a great time. PM me if you want budget advise or direction.

5. Do not get all wrapped up in the hottest this or that "It's just a foamy". You will or should crash it at some time. It's all about having fun learning to fly.

All good points and appreciated . . .I'll def pm you.
tbird911 is offline Find More Posts by tbird911