HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Clintstone, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jul 21, 2010, 06:35 PM
Gainesville, FL
Joined Dec 2005
365 Posts
Thanks Steve. I checked the "hover throttle" setting on the radio and it is centered. Throttle trim is centered as well.

I have tried 16% and 16.5% and it behaves the same way as it does when it is set to 17%.
Al Austria is offline Find More Posts by Al Austria
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 21, 2010, 07:02 PM
Clyde N.C.
Joined Oct 2003
519 Posts
Humm Scratching my head again!

I'm going to try some things on my end to see if I can duplicate what your getting & let you know when I come up with something???

Steve
RS Rogers is offline Find More Posts by RS Rogers
Old Jul 23, 2010, 07:11 AM
Bush Pilots Bounce Higher
USA, IL, Champaign
Joined Dec 2006
4,309 Posts
I had fun also..
I would suggest trying it at the 17.5 setting and see what it does. If you go to the 17.0 I think it may be causing your problem..
Hope it works.
Spidious is offline Find More Posts by Spidious
Old Jul 23, 2010, 08:47 AM
Castle Support
USA, GA, Statesboro
Joined Oct 2007
949 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Austria View Post
Thanks Steve. I checked the "hover throttle" setting on the radio and it is centered. Throttle trim is centered as well.

I have tried 16% and 16.5% and it behaves the same way as it does when it is set to 17%.
Al I just watched your video and I have something that I think will rectify the problem I sent you a PM.
Clintstone is offline Find More Posts by Clintstone
Old Jul 27, 2010, 07:26 PM
RC Addict
Western NY
Joined Jun 2002
1,667 Posts
Can I use the autorotation mode without using Gov?
Raydee is offline Find More Posts by Raydee
Old Jul 27, 2010, 08:15 PM
Bush Pilots Bounce Higher
USA, IL, Champaign
Joined Dec 2006
4,309 Posts
Probably not ? here is what it says or different settings

Simple Governor Mode
Simple governor mode is designed to be the easiest to use out of the box. You simply throttle up as if you were in ‘Heli-Fixed’ mode. The throttle stick is directly controlling the power to the motor, and NOT specifying rpm. Once you get to your desired rpm, leave the stick at that position for 1.5 seconds and the ESC will ‘lock’ onto that RPM. If you move the throttle, the head-speed will change accordingly. The only drawback to this mode is you do not know your exact head-speed.

Governor Low
Governor low translates the throttle input to a pre defined head-speed. This mode will allow the motor to be governed at ELECTRICAL RPMs from 10,000 to 64,000. Note that electrical rpm is the RPM seen by the controller before taking into account gearing and motor type. You can determine what throttle value you will need for a desired head-speed by using the ‘Desired Head Speed’ inputs below. If governor low does not provide the speed you desire, switch to governor high and work your way up through the throttle until you achieve the desired speed.

Governor High
Governor high translates the throttle input to a pre defined head-speed. This mode will allow the motor to be governed at ELECTRICAL RPMs from 50,000 to 210,000. Note, that electrical rpm is the RPM seen by the controller -- before taking into account gearing and motor type. You can determine what throttle value you will need for a desired head-speed by using the ‘Desired Head Speed’ inputs below. If governor high does not provide the speed you desire, switch to governor low and work your way up through the throttle until you achieve the desired speed.

Set RPM Governor Mode
Fixed RPM will allow you to set 3 distinct head speeds that you would like to use. Simply enter the head speed and some vehicle setup information and Castle-Link will do all of the work to set up the controller for you. The first head speed is used for throttle inputs between 1.1ms and 1.5ms (up to 50% throttle). The middle head speed is used for throttle inputs between 1.5ms and 2.0ms (between 50% and 99% throttle). The last head speed is used for throttle inputs greater than 2.0ms (greater than 99% throttle).

But if you select fixed end point you can ?
Spidious is offline Find More Posts by Spidious
Old Jul 27, 2010, 08:24 PM
RC Addict
Western NY
Joined Jun 2002
1,667 Posts
Fixed end point is what I run, I simply found it simple to use compared to SET RPM mode. I am not really a 3D guy so if I can set up Fixed end point mode to work with autorotaion mode that would work fine for me.
Raydee is offline Find More Posts by Raydee
Old Jul 27, 2010, 09:29 PM
Castle Support
USA, GA, Statesboro
Joined Oct 2007
949 Posts
Fixed Throttle autorotation...

***Make sure to remove the pinion from the main gear so you can safely adjust throttle***

You can setup in fixed endpoint mode... I would simply start the motor from -0- by increasing the value in hold until the motor starts you want to do this slowly. After the motor starts then you want to reduce the values toward -0- slowly until exactly where the motor stops. I would also recommend for setup that you set 75-75-75 in idle 1 so when you soft start it will go to this value and when you calibrate idle 1 it will also return to this throttle position. Make sure to set the Head Speed Change rate high enough to get a faster than soft start return.

You may also try setting up in set rpm and then use the same value when you switch back to fixed endpoint mode. I will verify this for you when I get home from traveling this weekend.
Old Aug 12, 2010, 04:23 PM
Long Island, NY
Joined Apr 2008
44 Posts
Hey Clint,

I'm trying to reset my log on my ICE 75 the way you do it in the video clip and it does not give me the chirps, like yours does.

I do not run auto-rotation mode on mine, would that make a difference?

It looks like you go to Idle Up 2, do you have T/H on or off? In order for my ESC to arm I have to be in T/H without Auto-Rotation enabled.

Is there another way to reset the log on the field?

Thanks,

Panos
ualdrivr is offline Find More Posts by ualdrivr
Last edited by ualdrivr; Aug 12, 2010 at 05:57 PM.
Old Aug 12, 2010, 07:56 PM
Castle Support
USA, GA, Statesboro
Joined Oct 2007
949 Posts
The key is calibrated 100% Throttle before initialization and waiting 6 seconds, should give you the tone and also clears the.data logged.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ualdrivr View Post
Hey Clint,

I'm trying to reset my log on my ICE 75 the way you do it in the video clip and it does not give me the chirps, like yours does.

I do not run auto-rotation mode on mine, would that make a difference?

It looks like you go to Idle Up 2, do you have T/H on or off? In order for my ESC to arm I have to be in T/H without Auto-Rotation enabled.

Is there another way to reset the log on the field?

Thanks,

Panos
Old Oct 18, 2010, 06:54 AM
Joined May 2010
7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by burton8012 View Post
ok i got mine to work but if you use the auto rotation mode that means you no longer have a normal mode that you can fly in right? cause it has to be 0% flat in normal to be able to use auto-rotation mode?
This is a good question. I was wondering the same thing. Don't know about you guys but I like landing in normal mode and if you want to use the auto rotation function then you can't have a normal throttle curve. I'd also be afraid of forgetting and flipping into normal mode and not having any throttle.
hookedonheli's is offline Find More Posts by hookedonheli's
Old Oct 18, 2010, 07:04 AM
Joined May 2010
7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidious View Post
Probably not ? here is what it says or different settings

Set RPM Governor Mode
Fixed RPM will allow you to set 3 distinct head speeds that you would like to use. Simply enter the head speed and some vehicle setup information and Castle-Link will do all of the work to set up the controller for you. The first head speed is used for throttle inputs between 1.1ms and 1.5ms (up to 50% throttle). The middle head speed is used for throttle inputs between 1.5ms and 2.0ms (between 50% and 99% throttle). The last head speed is used for throttle inputs greater than 2.0ms (greater than 99% throttle).

But if you select fixed end point you can ?
Sorry but I don't get the 1.1ms??? ms = milliseconds correct. How do you rate throttle stick position in milliseconds? Also, I’ve been wondering about the 3 settings in “set RPM” mode. So you’re saying that the 3 settings has to do with stick position? I thought the ESC watched the motor RPM’s and if and when it dropped the ESC adds voltage to attempt to keep the RPM’s the same.
Old Oct 19, 2010, 08:25 AM
Clyde N.C.
Joined Oct 2003
519 Posts
In gov mode stick position means nothing for throttle. It's not a throttle stick anymore but mearly a collective stick. The millisecond signature from the value in the throttle cure dictates the speed. For example a straight line curve of say 50 in the throttle curve of your Tx equals a 1.5 millisecond output to the rx then to the esc. So if the Desired Head Speed box in Set Rpm mode says to enter a curve between 0-50 ( I wouldn't use 0 as were stradeling the fence here) that means that any number in your throttle curve between 0 & 50 is only going to run that speed. We recommend setting a straight curve of 30 so were kinda in the middle. 0 throttle equates to right around 1 millisecond so for that speed the controller is looking for an input from the Tx between around 1 & 1.5 milliseconds. If it sees anything in that range it knows to run that speed. The next box instructs for inputs between 50 & 99 which will be something like 1.5 - 1.9 milliseconds & anything over 1.9 ms or 100% curve dictates the third box.
One thing that might give a good understanding of how this works is set up the Set Rpm mode on the Castle Link then go up & change the Set Rpm Mode option to Gov Hi or Low then go back & look at the instructions beside the Desired Head Speed boxes. It will give you a % for the Tx & a millisecond output. Change the speeds in the boxes slightly & see the difference in the instructed amounts.
Now with that said if you set a linear curve in the Tx in gov mode the stick position will dictate the speed of the motor but the motor will not work linear like it will in Fixed Endpoint mode. It will try to govern at every move of the Tx stick & the speed will bounce around all over the place.

Hope this helps.
Steve
Old Oct 20, 2010, 07:05 AM
Joined May 2010
7 Posts
Yep! that helps alot. Thanks! Here's my next question..

Setup...
Trex-500
CC Vertigo Motor - 1760 kv - 8 pole
CC ICE-100
13 tooth Pinon
162 Main Gear
6 Cell Lipo
Set RPM Mode - 2600 - 2700 - 2800
Rx setting - Normal Mode 30=flat, Idle-1=75 flat, Idle-2=100 flat

With this setup the CC software says I should achieve 2800 RPM in idle-2 and I'm not getting even close to that. In idle 2 I'm at 2275! Way down from what the CC software says it should be doing. So what am I doing wrong here?
Old Oct 20, 2010, 08:55 AM
Clyde N.C.
Joined Oct 2003
519 Posts
Is that what the graph viewer is telling you the speed is? If so under the edit tab check everything under the motor / gearing option to make sure the info it's using to relay the speed is correct.