HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 07, 2010, 05:52 PM
Castle Support
USA, GA, Statesboro
Joined Oct 2007
961 Posts
Mini-HowTo
Castle Quick Tip: Throttle Calibration Part 1 of 2

Video to help with Throttle Calibration on a Heli.
This is a tutorial video that I made to help make throttle calibration on Castle Creations ESCs easier. This video is made using a Heli but it can also be applied to an airplane.

You can also find more info at : http://www.castlecreations.com/

Castle Quick Tip- Throttle Calibration.wmv (3 min 23 sec)
Clintstone is offline Find More Posts by Clintstone
Last edited by Clintstone; Jun 08, 2010 at 04:00 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 11, 2010, 09:58 AM
USA, LA, Sulphur
Joined Apr 2006
1,201 Posts
Good video
dfrazier is offline Find More Posts by dfrazier
Old Jun 11, 2010, 03:19 AM
Joined Jun 2010
20 Posts
i cant see your TX parameters selection! And voice also small. Any more better quality video?
monkey1 is offline Find More Posts by monkey1
Old Jun 14, 2010, 03:39 PM
Castle Support
USA, GA, Statesboro
Joined Oct 2007
961 Posts
I will be making a higher quality video soon. Thanks for your patience.
Old Jun 16, 2010, 12:18 PM
Stress Be Gone
Snohomish, WA
Joined May 2000
3,410 Posts
Are the videos available for download on the Castle site? If so where as I've not been able to find them.
GBR2 is offline Find More Posts by GBR2
Old Jun 20, 2010, 11:09 AM
Castle Support
USA, GA, Statesboro
Joined Oct 2007
961 Posts
http://www.castlecreations.com/suppo...al_videos.html
Old Jun 23, 2010, 04:15 PM
Stress Be Gone
Snohomish, WA
Joined May 2000
3,410 Posts
Yes, but all that does is link to the YouTube videos. I'd like to have the videos downloadable so that you don't need an internet connection to watch them.
GBR2 is offline Find More Posts by GBR2
Old Jun 24, 2010, 03:31 AM
Castle Support
USA, GA, Statesboro
Joined Oct 2007
961 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBR2 View Post
Yes, but all that does is link to the YouTube videos. I'd like to have the videos downloadable so that you don't need an internet connection to watch them.
there are several open source programs that let you download you tube videos I believe. I am hoping to re-make the videos next week with higher quality video and sound. The original videos were posted on you tube so we could get them up quickly.
Old Feb 04, 2011, 07:31 PM
Joined Feb 2011
12 Posts
I have an old, non-computerized 3 channel transmitter. I have an outunner motor that is a little too powerful for my 2 meter sailplane. I want to be able to program the ESC to only allow about 75% power to the motor when the radio puts out full throttle.

Is this possible with a Castle Creations ESC using Castle Link? I have not purchased the ESC yet.

Thanks.
zigaspire is offline Find More Posts by zigaspire
Old Feb 05, 2011, 08:31 AM
Son, Norway
Joined Sep 2004
3,356 Posts
I have a CC Phx10 on v3.20.
Tx is Robbe/Futaba FC-18.
To get the confirmation beep on high setting I need to set ATV to 110% (max) and then put the trim above centre. For the low setting it initializes when ATV is set to 62% with trim in the normal low position, and 80% when trim i centred.
What is the values in ms for the fixed endpoints? Obviously far from what my Tx operates on, but any servo plugged in to ch 3 behaved quite normal.
Calibrating the Tx against fixed values in the ESC seems somehow backwards to me. What is wrong with the "full stick, power on ESC, pull stick" method used by others for throttle calibration?

Edit: Got it working now with full up trim. ATV's ended then at 96% (High) and 104% (Low). A bit unusual I guess, and a pain since my Assan module (2.4GHz) refuses to initialize unless throttle is at it's lowest (+ trim).

Fred
flarssen is online now Find More Posts by flarssen
Last edited by flarssen; Feb 05, 2011 at 10:10 AM.
Old Mar 16, 2011, 03:27 PM
Castle Support
USA, GA, Statesboro
Joined Oct 2007
961 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flarssen View Post
I have a CC Phx10 on v3.20.
Tx is Robbe/Futaba FC-18.
To get the confirmation beep on high setting I need to set ATV to 110% (max) and then put the trim above centre. For the low setting it initializes when ATV is set to 62% with trim in the normal low position, and 80% when trim i centred.
What is the values in ms for the fixed endpoints? Obviously far from what my Tx operates on, but any servo plugged in to ch 3 behaved quite normal.
Calibrating the Tx against fixed values in the ESC seems somehow backwards to me. What is wrong with the "full stick, power on ESC, pull stick" method used by others for throttle calibration?

Edit: Got it working now with full up trim. ATV's ended then at 96% (High) and 104% (Low). A bit unusual I guess, and a pain since my Assan module (2.4GHz) refuses to initialize unless throttle is at it's lowest (+ trim).

Fred
You should be able to pull the trim down to satisfy... then calibrate the throttle with the trim down... as long as you leave the trim down then it should not change...
Old Mar 16, 2011, 04:19 PM
To many projects
USA, AZ, Litchfield Park
Joined Aug 2004
1,055 Posts
On my phx45 using a 9303 I can find the high but not the low.

Just to test I set it for functionality I did a simple, 'airplane' mode and 'auto endpoints' and all it does is enter program mode on travel extremes.

btw the esc hasn't spun a motor yet
66tbird is offline Find More Posts by 66tbird
Last edited by 66tbird; Mar 25, 2011 at 11:40 AM. Reason: Problem solved, just had to understand the the way it works. Thanks for the help
Old Mar 16, 2011, 05:14 PM
Castle Support
USA, GA, Statesboro
Joined Oct 2007
961 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66tbird View Post
On my phx45 using a 9303 I can find the high but not the low.

Just to test I set it for functionality I did a simple, 'airplane' mode and 'auto endpoints' and all it does is enter program mode on travel extremes.

btw the esc hasn't spun a motor yet

Set your throttle type to fixed endpoints and try it again... it should work after set it to fixed endpoints...
Old Mar 17, 2011, 06:05 AM
Son, Norway
Joined Sep 2004
3,356 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clintstone View Post
You should be able to pull the trim down to satisfy... then calibrate the throttle with the trim down... as long as you leave the trim down then it should not change...
If I understand this correct, the ESC has fixed settings for min and max throttle in governor mode and the idea is to adjust the Tx travel according to those.
As I said, with trim down, reaching the upper level is impossible with my Tx.

Why not make these settings changeable through the link app?
Old Mar 24, 2011, 01:54 AM
Son, Norway
Joined Sep 2004
3,356 Posts
Problem solved

The problem I had with reaching the high spot was due to the fact that the function throttle ATL (trim have no effect when stick is above neutral), was deactivated by default in heli mode. After setting THR ATL to active, I was able to reach both upper and lower spot.

Fred