HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 06, 2010, 04:26 PM
Boomer1
United States, CA, Temecula
Joined Sep 2009
3,537 Posts
Discussion
Winches for sailboats - actual miniatures of Harken winches and more

I feel like I have found the "Holy Grail" of sorts. Another forum member told me about this place, and I wanted to pass the information forward as these products are too cool not to share.

I don't know about you guys, but I have been struggling with trying to make scale winches that look real for a long time. Those days are gone! I can hardly believe somebody is actually manufacturing these things for the model boaters of the world.

If you are interested in finishing off your sailboats with absolute accuracy, I suggest you visit: http://www.scalemodelco.com
Direct line to Dean @ The Scale Model Co. = (989) 980-9423 and his e-mail address is: miniatureharken@yahoo.com

I confirmed with the Harken Company directly and they confirmed this company is authorized to make these miniatures of their products for the modeling world.

To get to the hardware sections, go to the web site, once at the home page
select "Products", then find and select the bullet point "Models in Process", next locate and select "page 9" once there, use the letters and numbers at the bottom of the page to cruise around to find the items you are interested in
Try 2,D, F, T,, H, J and P for starters. They make many things related to model sailing. Hope you find this site as interesting as I do.

Boomer1
Boomer1 is online now Find More Posts by Boomer1
Last edited by Boomer1; May 07, 2010 at 11:44 AM. Reason: typo
to remove ads between posts
Old May 07, 2010, 12:20 PM
United States, MA, Bristol
Joined Sep 2009
1,561 Posts
I tried contacting that guy with no luck. This is the guy who has the full lineup of Harken miniatures. http://microyachts.com/
seefest is offline Find More Posts by seefest
Old May 07, 2010, 01:06 PM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,537 Posts
Follow up on Harken

Seefeast,
While chatting with Dean, he shared with me that the best way to reach him at this time is via e-mail. I called him and left him a message, and he returned my call, so hang in there. I suggest sending him your questions or request for prices via e-mail.

He is the manufacturer of these products, so if you can get what you need from Mircoyachts.com that is good thing. As I understand it, Micro Yachts is a distributor or representative for Scale Model Co. at the present.

Dean told me that he has been traveling on business all this week and will be back to work next week. Having been in manufacturing for most of my life, I understand the issues associated with setting up marketing and distribution.

Once he has his distribution/sales network fully in place, I suspect the processing of business will be more normal. Again, I have had no problems in talking to this fellow, and each time I have left him a message he has called me back in a reasonable time frame.

I will be ordering some winches from him for my Yamaha Round the World next in the next week or two. I have to measure the diameters of the 4 different winches currently on my boat. Then I have to figure out how to remove the original plastic winches without hurting the deck. That may be the hard part of this.

Timing is everything, I guess, and had I been aware of this fellow's very cool products when I first got my boat, I would not have put the factory furnished winches on my boat. DER!

Since getting into this hobby, I find myself doing business more and more via the inter net. Some of the companies are pretty good sized, and others are one or two man deals out of their homes. So far, I have had good success in those transactions.

Most of the time, good things take some time. This is probably the case here.
Be Well
Boomer1
Last edited by Boomer1; May 07, 2010 at 01:07 PM. Reason: typo
Old May 07, 2010, 02:42 PM
Minnesota, USA
Joined Aug 2002
2,324 Posts
Dean has had some challenges in the past. He was trying to do everything by himself and eventually found out he was taking backwards steps.

He is a great guy, quick to help with suggestions, and always interested in helping with something new. Had a semi-finished TP52 and I had kept badgering him to get it done and on the water. He is now living only a few miles from my former home, so summer visit will include a trip to meet him face-to-face.

My F-48 multihull has yet to be finished, but he has offered to fabricate a curved traveller so it will be a working one - car and windward sheeting included. I just wanted to add that those "worried" about trying him (or his current distributor) should know he isn't a gypsy in a covered wagon.
Dick L. is online now Find More Posts by Dick L.
Old May 07, 2010, 03:56 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,151 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer1 View Post
Try 2,D, F, T,, H, J and P for starters.
Looks like he has very nice products... but a really terrible webpage designer-

The interface makes no sense at all.

http://www.scalemodelco.com/products...r=a&cat=addons

Come on! "Please select another letter."?
Aerominded is online now Find More Posts by Aerominded
Old May 08, 2010, 12:33 AM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,537 Posts
contact suggestion for Harken winches

Aeromined,
His web sites are old and have not been properly set up, but they do provide a good idea of what he has to sell. As I mentioned in a previous entry, the best way to contact Dean is via his e-mail.

He is in the midst of getting his marketing and distribution set up. He told me he will be up dating or doing a new web site moving forward. It all takes time.
My view is that I am so happy to find these products, that if it takes a little patients on my part to get them, so be it.

The good thing is he has a good inventory and one way or another I am confident he will get you the items you or others may be looking for.

Be well
Boomer1
Old May 08, 2010, 01:35 AM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,151 Posts
I hope I didn't seem critical of the owner of scale model co... I get the impression that he did not create the site himself fumbling through the site, it is clear that he is an excellent craftman and we seem to share many of the same ideas about model boats... I like his stuff... only finding it on the website seems too 'accidental'.

thanks for bringing this company to our attention though!
Old May 08, 2010, 09:50 PM
Joined Aug 2009
134 Posts
Hello Again,

The old school is the wrong school(at least these days)

Inventory is mobile and ready........had previous plans for someone to do a world class web site since Dec. of 2009. Now back to square one. Using 15 year old web site for salvage and will be starting slow but I expect to see this as it was planned.

Thank you all for the "poke" or kick.....my marriage was saved after all this. Expect the best as I was back in 1989 when I started this. Dean Derusha Model Marine,LLC
Derusha is online now Find More Posts by Derusha
Old May 08, 2010, 11:22 PM
Chicago , Illinois
Joined Jul 2008
928 Posts
Hey Dean

apart from the trouble navigating around that old website - I can't figure
if these Harken miniatures are for static models ONLY or if some of them
actually function as the real deal - specifically the tracks with cars and
blocks on them.....or the turning blocks or single/double blocks w/shackles?

Allan
thorsail is offline Find More Posts by thorsail
Old May 09, 2010, 12:18 AM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,151 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derusha View Post
Thank you all for the "poke" or kick.....
Looking forward to seeing more of your products! Again, looks like you have a great line and do very nice work!
Old May 09, 2010, 03:16 AM
Sacramento
Joined Mar 2007
946 Posts
Winches for sailboats - actual miniatures

This is a great supplier of the unusual.
Click your mouse on the British flag.The American flag for language translation was not converting.
Scale vertical winches : http://www.cap-maquettes.com/modelis...-uk/d1094.html

http://www.cap-maquettes.com/?gclid=...FQNbbQody0YrAw

I'm using the Cap-Maquettes wind indicator on my sailboat mast and love it!

Regards,
John
jaguar75 is offline Find More Posts by jaguar75
Old May 09, 2010, 05:23 AM
Joined Aug 2009
134 Posts
Two markets:static and functional

The web page will direct those to enter the use intended.

Models are lined up now for such examples......

I do not plan on using this or other forums to "get free advertising" but will follow rules and market appropriately.

see youtube(Derusha sails)

Thank you,

Dean Derusha
Derusha is online now Find More Posts by Derusha
Old May 14, 2010, 11:59 AM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,537 Posts
Miniature Winches -

thorsail (Allan)
Dean told me he offers two basic lines of winches. He said he makes winches for RC Models that will be on the water and a different line for model builders who make display models (will never get wet) He said it is important to specify which type you need.

Since I am an RC type I will be using the units constructed for functional in the water boats.

I sent an e-mail to Cap Maquettes to find out if their winches are for display or for use on RC models or both. Boy, they have a nice line up of products. Wish could I read French. I also asked how to determine shipping costs to the US.

Be well
Boomer1
Old May 14, 2010, 12:04 PM
Sacramento
Joined Mar 2007
946 Posts
French Tongue

Click on the British flag for an English translation.
Regards,
John
jaguar75 is offline Find More Posts by jaguar75
Old May 15, 2010, 01:39 AM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,537 Posts
French vs English

Thank you. I had figured that one out. I down loaded their impressive catalog, which at least the one I was able to download is in French. Pictures work for me, so I will manage. They speak English so I am good to go.
Appreciate your tip!
Boomer