HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Evel Knievel, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old May 06, 2010, 11:16 AM
"Audentes Fortuna Juvat"
USA, GA, Macon
Joined Oct 2008
841 Posts
Discussion
Cool Stuff

I recently added cooling scoops to my 89" Slick. I am running a Hacker A60 18L with a 24x12 prop. After a fairly aggressive flight (ample 3D and hovering) it was right at 130F. While that is acceptable I would like it to be a bit cooler. The ambient temp that day was about 85F and around here there are plenty of 95-100F days during the summer. I have not flown it yet so I will have to see if it really works.
Evel Knievel is offline Find More Posts by Evel Knievel
to remove ads between posts
Old May 06, 2010, 01:54 PM
Fly it or Fix it
Greenville, NC USA
Joined Sep 2009
45 Posts
Interesting concept. Clarification - I see where the air goes in, but where does it go out? I think I'll try it on one of mine. Thanks!
gaffrig is offline Find More Posts by gaffrig
Old May 06, 2010, 05:40 PM
"Audentes Fortuna Juvat"
USA, GA, Macon
Joined Oct 2008
841 Posts
It will exit the top and bottom after passing over the motor. When you look at the third picture, the entire top (and bottom) of the mount is open for the air to exit.
Old May 13, 2010, 12:38 PM
3DHS 'native'
USA, TX, Spring
Joined Jan 2008
5,900 Posts
fluid dynamics would indicate that the exit for air flow needs to be larger than the inlet...just an FYI
going4speed is offline Find More Posts by going4speed
Old May 13, 2010, 12:51 PM
"Audentes Fortuna Juvat"
USA, GA, Macon
Joined Oct 2008
841 Posts
But... if the outlet is smaller than the inlet pressure goes up and velocity goes down. lower velocity allows for the transfer of more thermal energy to a point. Two different theoretical perspectives I think.
Old May 15, 2010, 08:24 AM
3DHS 'native'
USA, TX, Spring
Joined Jan 2008
5,900 Posts
True but surface turbulence could instead cause stalled air at the surface to heat up mitigating any cooling affect from larger quantity of inlet air. I think Theory...fun stuff...I would love to see a before and after temp run on this rig..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evel Knievel View Post
But... if the outlet is smaller than the inlet pressure goes up and velocity goes down. lower velocity allows for the transfer of more thermal energy to a point. Two different theoretical perspectives I think.
going4speed is offline Find More Posts by going4speed
Old May 16, 2010, 06:58 PM
"Audentes Fortuna Juvat"
USA, GA, Macon
Joined Oct 2008
841 Posts
Me too I was right at 130F on an 85F day so we will see... When the batteries get back from Thunder Power we will see