Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old May 06, 2010, 09:54 AM
Joined Feb 2006
2,374 Posts
Discussion
I am about to pull the trigger on the PROEDF F-22

First for me it is slight expensive. IT is going to be about $350 dollars just for the kit, then I have to buy the motors, it comes with the stock fans not sure if they are any good, but lets say they are not, so two het 6904fans with either the arc motor or the het 2w20, I am thinking about putting two 4s battery in there. One battery for each motor, along with two speed controllers both of which are 80amp. That f-22 looks sweet, depending on the battery space, what set up you guys think is better than what I am thinking? Thanks in advance
sherlockshah is offline Find More Posts by sherlockshah
to remove ads between posts
Old May 11, 2010, 05:20 PM
skunkworks
United States, CA, Clovis
Joined Apr 2008
1,536 Posts
Hard to beat a arc or HET, yes it does look sweet. I really their Drakken as well.
Dark Angel is offline Find More Posts by Dark Angel
Old May 11, 2010, 06:09 PM
Matrix 90 & 100mm sport jet
Merritt Island Fl
Joined Aug 2008
1,046 Posts
For that kind of money you can get in to a real nice 90mm sport jet that will have less problems. And hall the mail at that. just a thought.
Getmore Rc is offline Find More Posts by Getmore Rc
Old May 11, 2010, 09:06 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
I'de take a look at the Fly Fly before I'de buy ProEDF. or any other brand for that matter. proEDF seem to do things very cheaply. I agree with Getmore............i would look into a single 90mm before a 70mm twin. it will be cheaper in the long run and potentially more powerful. think of it like this.................

70mm on 4S will be pretty tame. 5S or 6S is good..........although I'm basing that on performance stats from the WM400 MKII and not really sure what those numbers are or the HET fans. I'm guessing they are less though as it's generally accepted that the WM's are among the best 70mm on the market.

now if you took those 4S batteries and Y them in series, you've got 8S, which is very good with a 90mm fan. my reasoning is that 5S packs can get very expensive, but 4S remains very simple and cheap to get. one 90mm fan is about the same price as two 70mm, but the 90mm is cheaper to operate, using the above method of powering it.

I would look at your options before buying the twin. 90mm is always better than a twin 70mm as there are more power options available and generally more power to be made from a 90mm. just something for you to think about.

Rich
LuvEvolution7 is offline Find More Posts by LuvEvolution7
Old May 12, 2010, 07:33 AM
Lincolnshire, UK
Joined Oct 2009
522 Posts
I can't speak for the kit but I've just got one of the PRO EDF "HKS Madness" 70mm fans and motor. The motor is a 4000KV and rated at 80A on 4s. The fan is a tough-looking, wide-chord 3-bladed affair. I've yet to fly this new powerplant but on the bench run I did last night it seemed pretty impressive. The sound was great too! For $50 for fan and motor I reckon they're pretty good value if they perform as advertised.
Si Goodchild is offline Find More Posts by Si Goodchild
Old May 12, 2010, 12:26 PM
San Diego
Joined Jul 2009
2,236 Posts
I have the F-18 (single 90mm) Sherlock based on your track record I would hold off on this. The ProEDF planes are very cool, I went with them over HET based on the fact they have proper duct work, and have full flying stabilizers. I don’t know where LuvEvolution7 is coming up with ProEDF being cheap built planes cause they are not! My F-18 is very nicely built and just needed a little TLC to get it up to my standards! That jet will need a serious runway to get it off the ground which I don’t think you have access to that! I think if you had been mastering all the other jets you have purchased it would be feasible but you are probably setting yourself up for failure! That is not a cheap project by the way, you need high end servos to handle the speeds for that heavy of a plane, plus it’s a twin so 2 motors, 2 esc’s etc…
bri6672 is online now Find More Posts by bri6672
Old May 12, 2010, 01:38 PM
USA, CA, El Dorado Hills
Joined Apr 2008
1,007 Posts
I would agree. If this is your first serious EDF, be kind to yourself and get a single fan setup.

If you want an F-22 with two fans, look at the Sapac F-22. Flys pretty good, not too expensive, easy to land and doesn't take as much runway.

Sure it's foam, but it is a great place to start.

Another good EDF to training is the Habu. I use it all the time as a warm-up plane before flying the big stuff. Highly recommend it.
sbritton is offline Find More Posts by sbritton
Old May 12, 2010, 02:30 PM
It wasn't me...
Trabuco Canyon, CA
Joined Nov 2000
4,547 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvEvolution7 View Post
I'de take a look at the Fly Fly before I'de buy ProEDF. or any other brand for that matter. proEDF seem to do things very cheaply. I agree with Getmore............i would look into a single 90mm before a 70mm twin. it will be cheaper in the long run and potentially more powerful. think of it like this.................
The FlyFly F-22? A bigger piece of junk F-22 does not exist than the stock FlyFly F-22. Meander over to the foamy forum and find the FlyFly F-22 thread, then read about all the heartaches caused by this model.

This model turned me off to all FlyFly products forever. Any company that releases an undeveloped design and lets their customers be the test pilots is a company that will never get my money.
DanSavage is offline Find More Posts by DanSavage
Old May 12, 2010, 03:00 PM
Oshkosh, WI
Joined Nov 2002
2,340 Posts
Glad you're still at it, Sherlock. Don't want to pour cold water on your enthusiasm. But basing on the way you hand launch your planes & failures, I'd get something proven easy to fly & get some buddybox time from an expeienced flyer first. Good luck!

Phil
PhilLin is online now Find More Posts by PhilLin
Old May 12, 2010, 06:09 PM
skunkworks
United States, CA, Clovis
Joined Apr 2008
1,536 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbritton View Post
I would agree. If this is your first serious EDF, be kind to yourself and get a single fan setup.

If you want an F-22 with two fans, look at the Sapac F-22. Flys pretty good, not too expensive, easy to land and doesn't take as much runway.

Sure it's foam, but it is a great place to start.

Another good EDF to training is the Habu. I use it all the time as a warm-up plane before flying the big stuff. Highly recommend it.

It is kinda funny last month I killed off my flanker flew to LVC then tried to get it back to the runway, ended up smashing into an islandSo then I tried to find a sapac F22 but could not find one for less than 149.00 for an arf. So I ended up repacing the SU with a Su34 airframe. LHS manager gave a deal I could not pass up.
Dark Angel is offline Find More Posts by Dark Angel
Old May 12, 2010, 08:48 PM
Joined Feb 2006
2,374 Posts
I am flying a f-15 on 6s 1400 watts :)

IT IS AWESOME< I will try to get a video this weekend. IT hand launches too, wot and give it a toss and goes straight up.

BY the way I decided not to buy the f-22 I did the math, it would be major money. THE Kit itself jack wants like $350 shipped, I do not expect a deal even though I asked for one because he already hooked me up by accident. I ened up buying the PROEDF F-16 fuse and canopy which I wanted it from the start from the guy in ITaly.

I paid $70bucks for shipping and handling! OH WELL, I have the other parts to make it fly and yes I know no handlaunching that one
sherlockshah is offline Find More Posts by sherlockshah
Old May 13, 2010, 12:54 AM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
bri6672

when I call ProEDF cheap, I am not refering to build or construction quality at all. I'll take your word for it that it is spot on for the money you pay. I've followed several of their threads and I wouldn't doubt that at all.

when I call them cheap, I am refering to the "extra mile" that they could take to make an ok model, into a really good model. in that respect, there's nothing "pro" about ProEDF. their SU-27 is an amzing looking plane, but the scale sizes of various parts of their airframe don't add up. their Draken is also nice looking, but they blew it on the inlet design...............it doesn't even look anywhere close to how the real one looks, that this model represents. when told about this, they shook it off as though it meant nothing. if they want to please everyone, they need to listen to what's being said and accomodate all, or they will lose business by not accomodating all. a scale guy will most likely not buy a sport jet, which is what the Draken and SU-27 are. if they would have changed certain things, they would have accomodated all, instead of only one market. and it wouldn't have cost them any more or any less to do that and that is why I said they are cheap. they cheaped out and took what they thought was the easiest path. it's been proven on other similar models, that they could have stuck to scale and sold more models. I could go on and on, but what's the use...............there's enough material in the main body, to accuse them of being cheap, or cheaping out.

Rich
Old May 13, 2010, 01:30 AM
San Diego
Joined Jul 2009
2,236 Posts
So who is accomodating all in this composite 90mm class? If you say HET the take a look at their F-18 compared to ProEDF and its not even close! I am definitly not saying they are perfect but its definitly not a bad product and well offer alot of people a good package!
bri6672 is online now Find More Posts by bri6672
Old May 13, 2010, 03:16 AM
My project: FAIREY DELTA 1
Uden Volkel, Netherlands
Joined Dec 2003
4,974 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvEvolution7 View Post
I agree with Getmore............i would look into a single 90mm before a 70mm twin. it will be cheaper in the long run and potentially more powerful. think of it like this.................
Please define more powerfull. Have you experience with twins?
Erik v. Schaik is offline Find More Posts by Erik v. Schaik
Old May 13, 2010, 03:30 AM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
in other words. as technology advances, more power gains from 90mm are more likely than in the 70mm class. better rotors, batteries, etc, etc. not saying their won't be power gains in 70mm, but are far more likely in the 90mm.

also, twins are heavier than a single 90mm and provide roughly the same thrust output. but efflux velocity on a 90mm is higher than a 70mm. so it makes sense that, size for size and pound for pound, 90mm will outperform a twin 70 in the same plane. this makes sense to me at least.

of course, I haven't said anything about the cool and wow factors of a twin.

Rich