HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 06, 2010, 08:10 AM
flying junkie
Sarajevo
Joined Jun 2007
68 Posts
Help!
How to remove 5-min epoxy

Hi guys. I need some help. I glued firewall on moulded fuselage with 5-min epoxy, but I made mistake with holes for motor on firewall, and when I put motor, I can see that it's little off center. What's the best way to remove epoxy and to take off firewall? Thank you...
Amko is offline Find More Posts by Amko
to remove ads between posts
Old May 06, 2010, 10:04 AM
New Jersey, USA
Joined May 2003
2,009 Posts
First consideration is to save the fuselage.
Is the molded fuselage epoxy/glass, plastic, or some sort of foam?

In the case of epoxy filleting around the firewall, I'd try to carve off as much epoxy as possible and then flex the firewall in hopes of breaking the joint.
Most 5-min epoxies are rubbery and can be pealed away.
David A Ramsey is offline Find More Posts by David A Ramsey
Old May 06, 2010, 11:18 AM
flying junkie
Sarajevo
Joined Jun 2007
68 Posts
It's plastic one. I hoped it would be some way of heating epoxy or with some chemical. When I put spinner, I can see it's maybe 1 mm to the right, but I think thrust angle is ok.
Old May 06, 2010, 12:47 PM
Grayslake, Illinois, United States
Joined Mar 2001
352 Posts
Can you glue another ply firewall to the backside of the current one? If so you can fill the existing holes and redrill for the motor mount.
lenrev is offline Find More Posts by lenrev
Old May 06, 2010, 02:35 PM
New Jersey, USA
Joined May 2003
2,009 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amko View Post
It's plastic one. I hoped it would be some way of heating epoxy or with some chemical. When I put spinner, I can see it's maybe 1 mm to the right, but I think thrust angle is ok.
I would have tried heat if the fuse was wood. The 1mm difference would annoy me too. May be possible to shim the motor mount a tad.
Old May 06, 2010, 03:33 PM
flying junkie
Sarajevo
Joined Jun 2007
68 Posts
Ha, I did it! Luckly, I didn't put any epoxy behind firewall, so I knock it back in fuselage. No damage, just a little epoxy left, I can sand it.
After Lenrev's post I cursed myself, because I already glued another firewall with correct fabric drilled holes, but that one was behind, not glued to fuselage. It was really tight in nose for my 38mm hacker motor (Nike 2 hotliner), so I put second firewall to place motor little behind where fuselage is wider. Now I will use that one to the front. Anyway, thank you guys for your help, I'll take more care with epoxy, now when I know there is no debonder for it
P.S. I ordered 30-min epoxy...
Old May 06, 2010, 04:00 PM
New Jersey, USA
Joined May 2003
2,009 Posts
Ahhhh, life is good!
Old May 06, 2010, 04:50 PM
flying junkie
Sarajevo
Joined Jun 2007
68 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Ramsey View Post
Ahhhh, life is good!
I was thinking about this problem for three days, my hangar is in my weekend house, an hour of driving away ...
Old May 10, 2010, 03:41 PM
San Diego, California
Joined May 2010
32 Posts
what i would do is dremel the epoxy away and then cut in pieces the firewall mount :P or just use the dremel to destroy it and leave the fuselage intact
Ptacnik is offline Find More Posts by Ptacnik