SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 05, 2010, 08:14 PM
24 yrs. of Aircraft flying
United States, GA, Rockmart
Joined Oct 2004
5,818 Posts
Discussion
Who has good cheap VPP set ups?

looking at VPP setups I have no clue who sells them, who all have motors with hollow shafts for them and who sells the vpp setups? I am thinking about doing one on a small plane foamy. thanks for any and all input
epoweredrc is offline Find More Posts by epoweredrc
to remove ads between posts
Old May 05, 2010, 08:43 PM
Cleveland, Ohio
Joined Sep 2006
640 Posts
This is not the cheapest but the best IMHO !! A few of the Comp Pilots use it with great results, and you dont need a hollow shaft!!!
http://www.airlandseahobby.com/shop_...m?subcat_ID=46

John
xtremeRCpilot is offline Find More Posts by xtremeRCpilot
Old May 05, 2010, 09:27 PM
Joined Oct 2004
5,818 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtremeRCpilot View Post
This is not the cheapest but the best IMHO !! A few of the Comp Pilots use it with great results, and you dont need a hollow shaft!!!
http://www.airlandseahobby.com/shop_...m?subcat_ID=46

John
Thanks, Um well it seems most are higher priced. i guess that slided over the shaft somehow love to see a video of it going together or at least on a plane working. bet could google for that .. Again thanks guess i will google some more but not had much luck in past search's
Old May 05, 2010, 11:47 PM
United States, FL, Pompano Beach
Joined May 2006
231 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by epoweredrc View Post
Thanks, Um well it seems most are higher priced. i guess that slided over the shaft somehow love to see a video of it going together or at least on a plane working. bet could google for that .. Again thanks guess i will google some more but not had much luck in past search's
its super easy to assemble. i just got mine for my Fancy Foam MX-2 and love it. it took about 10min to assemble and is a very clever design. it doesn't come with the motor mount so add about 14.00 to the price of the unit. as for a video of it check these out:

http://flightpass.higherplaneproduct...udio-H264s.mov
wcc963 is offline Find More Posts by wcc963
Last edited by wcc963; May 05, 2010 at 11:57 PM.
Old May 06, 2010, 07:04 AM
Oly crap.. Deese ease not gud!
USA, NC, Kernersville
Joined Nov 2006
1,160 Posts
No such thing as a "good cheap" VPP. The Mamo unit is really the only available system worth messing with. Set it up right and it won't give you any headaches.

As for videos... go look at ETOC videos for anyone using a VPP, including myself. We ALL use the Mamo unit.

Good luck!

RJ
hpapilot is offline Find More Posts by hpapilot
Old May 06, 2010, 11:42 AM
Joined Oct 2004
5,818 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpapilot View Post
No such thing as a "good cheap" VPP. The Mamo unit is really the only available system worth messing with. Set it up right and it won't give you any headaches.

As for videos... go look at ETOC videos for anyone using a VPP, including myself. We ALL use the Mamo unit.

Good luck!

RJ
ok well any VPP ones at all. I know of.. the following.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...article_id=716

well Hobbylobby used to selel one i think but cant find it and thought horizen did but cant find it guess there are less around now.

RJ,
Are you RJ Gritter? you really put on a show with yours.

You guys using this one running 2 cells I guess.? what motors thanks
Old May 06, 2010, 11:53 AM
USA, NC, Kernersville
Joined Nov 2006
1,160 Posts
Honestly, a hollow-shaft setup isn't worth messing with. The setup becomes much more complicated, and VPP tends to be hard enough to handle anyway without the added annoyance of a sloppy setup or the system giving you problems. A good, tight setup is key to success with a VPP.

Yep that's me. I've always run 2S on my airplanes and just built them as light as possible. A few of the other guys have been running 3S 250's recently with pretty good success. I'm interested in trying that setup myself. The motor of choice is the Hacker A20-34S... bolts right on to the Mamo unit/mount and has all the power you could need.

RJ
Old May 06, 2010, 12:38 PM
Joined Oct 2004
5,818 Posts
Quote:
Honestly, a hollow-shaft setup isn't worth messing with. The setup becomes much more complicated, and VPP tends to be hard enough to handle anyway without the added annoyance of a sloppy setup or the system giving you problems. A good, tight setup is key to success with a VPP.

Yep that's me. I've always run 2S on my airplanes and just built them as light as possible. A few of the other guys have been running 3S 250's recently with pretty good success. I'm interested in trying that setup myself. The motor of choice is the Hacker A20-34S... bolts right on to the Mamo unit/mount and has all the power you could need.

RJ
Wow dude your good. i really enjoyed watching your flights ( by youtube,I only dreamed of being at the Etoc)
it takes lots to impress me but your flights did, I want to start the slow. low, easy flying and to music VPP has always interested me since I first seen it.

I am about to buy this plane from a club member http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXJTK3&P=0
just for a backyard flyer would it be a good model for VPP or should I look into others? Any of the Fancy foam ones good? I started flying 3D with his planes in 2004 the 36' and love em.

Thanks,
Chris
Old May 06, 2010, 12:42 PM
Cleveland, Ohio
Joined Sep 2006
640 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by epoweredrc View Post
Any of the Fancy foam ones good? I started flying 3D with his planes in 2004 the 36' and love em.

Thanks,
Chris
You cant go wrong with any of the Fancy Foam Models and the MX2 is a great choice for your VPP!

John
xtremeRCpilot is offline Find More Posts by xtremeRCpilot
Old May 06, 2010, 02:31 PM
USA, NC, Kernersville
Joined Nov 2006
1,160 Posts
Thanks, glad you enjoyed my flights!

I would definitely suggest staying away from the old Flatouts stuff, especially for VPP. The Fancy Foam stuff is great and is what the majority of us are flying in competition. I'm a little biased (since I designed it ) but I like the MX2, especially for VPP stuff. It has enough wing area to handle the extra weight of the VPP and seems to perform all the maneuvers well enough for me!

RJ
Old May 06, 2010, 02:42 PM
Joined Oct 2004
5,818 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtremeRCpilot View Post
You cant go wrong with any of the Fancy Foam Models and the MX2 is a great choice for your VPP!

John
Quote:
Thanks, glad you enjoyed my flights!

I would definitely suggest staying away from the old Flatouts stuff, especially for VPP. The Fancy Foam stuff is great and is what the majority of us are flying in competition. I'm a little biased (since I designed it ) but I like the MX2, especially for VPP stuff. It has enough wing area to handle the extra weight of the VPP and seems to perform all the maneuvers well enough for me!

RJ
Thanks for the info, well I guess I will just play with the flatout in the yard for now untill i have more funds for the right stuff to do VPP. I do not want to go cheap and have to redo later or issue's with it working right.

I will check out the MX2, I love Mike Hammel planes he is a aswsome guy never met him but used to be on a chat groups with him regular.
Old May 07, 2010, 12:58 PM
Horizon Hobby Employee
Champaign, IL
Joined Jan 2007
692 Posts
Quote:

Good luck!

RJ
Mamo Unit is the way to go. Like RJ said, EVERYONE who ran VPP at ETOC used the Mamo unit. RJ, Andrew, Jason, Ryan, Jamie, Matthew, Brandon, and myself all used the Mamo system (sorry if I missed someone's name).

Seth
3D-Seth is offline Find More Posts by 3D-Seth
Site Sponsor
Last edited by 3D-Seth; May 07, 2010 at 04:11 PM.
Old May 07, 2010, 02:27 PM
Fly lower!
West Texas
Joined Jan 2005
2,391 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3D-Seth View Post
Mamo Unit is the way to go. Like RJ said, EVERYONE who ran VPP at ETOC used the Mamo unit. RJ, Andrew, Jason, Ryan, Jamie, Matthew and myself all used the Mamo system (sorry if I missed someone's name).

Seth
Seth, don't forget that Brandon Chitty flew the new Fancy Foam Fenix with a VPP setup. Not sure which variety, but I think it is the Mamo also.

His video with the VPP flight can be seen here.

http://stores.homestead.com/fancyfoa...nix/Detail.bok

aerolite
aerolite is offline Find More Posts by aerolite
Old May 07, 2010, 02:52 PM
Joined Oct 2004
5,818 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3D-Seth View Post
Mamo Unit is the way to go. Like RJ said, EVERYONE who ran VPP at ETOC used the Mamo unit. RJ, Andrew, Jason, Ryan, Jamie, Matthew and myself all used the Mamo system (sorry if I missed someone's name).

Seth
Thanks Seth

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerolite
Seth, don't forget that Brandon Chitty flew the new Fancy Foam Fenix with a VPP setup. Not sure which variety, but I think it is the Mamo also.

aerolite
yeah i loved his take off, that was so cool. i would have to try something like that If i get one.
Old May 07, 2010, 04:11 PM
Horizon Hobby Employee
Champaign, IL
Joined Jan 2007
692 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerolite View Post

aerolite

Yep he's one I forgot. Doh!
3D-Seth is offline Find More Posts by 3D-Seth
Site Sponsor