HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Sandancer, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old May 05, 2010, 06:46 PM
"Auntie Samantha"
USA, MO, Clever
Joined Dec 2009
4,734 Posts
Build Log
P-51D: My Big P-51 Transporter / "Auntie Samantha" / & Decals!

My Big P-51 Transporter! / "Auntie Samantha"! / & Decals!

This is my "BIG P-51" transporter! I don't have far to drive to get to the fairway, errrr...runway of my choice. Actually, I build these custom Club Cars as a side line.

This is my 35mph "Cruiser"!

UP-DATE 5/26/2010:
My NEW P-51D Nose art..."Auntie Samantha"

UP-DATE 8/05/2010: Decals, DECALS & MORE DECALS! Here are some proof sheets I have put together for "Miss Samantha"!

UP-DATE 8/10/2010: Here are some of the decal placements I have made to "Miss Samantha".

I make my decals with a combination of resources. Most of the lettering I set up using the Stencil std. font on my Mac. Some I acquired off the "Post scale decal" thread. That's where I found the link to those P-51 proof sheets. Some I put together using Photoshop.

I then make my own proofs and print them off on my Canon MX870 printer. Depending on what I am trying to print, I'll use either transparent decal paper or white background decal paper. On the silver background I have found that the white background paper works best. Depending on the decal, you might have to do some trimming around the edges to eliminate the white background. The ink on the transparent paper tends to be a bit translucent.

Because these are water slide decals I spray the proof sheets with 2 coats of Krylon Crystal Clear gloss #51301 to seal the ink. Once they are dry, I just cut what I need, dip them in warm water, remove the backing and apply.

UP-DATE 3/15/2012 I have since changed my preference of paper to the vinyl variety. I have found that vinyl sheds a better color contrast then decal paper, plus it's much more durable.

I get all my decal paper from ONLINE Labels.

Sandancer is offline Find More Posts by Sandancer
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Sandancer; Dec 11, 2012 at 09:58 AM. Reason: Attachments
to remove ads between posts