HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 08, 2003, 02:16 PM
jk
Huntington Beach, CA
Joined Apr 2001
1,281 Posts
Wattage Super Decathalon first impression...............

i finished assembling it this morning. i decided to go with the same gearing that i'm using on my Angelis 280 (RZ-300 5.375:1 GB &GWS 9x4.7 prop, 3s Etec-1200's).
i installed a little larger wheels (from a wattage 330L) to help it take off and land on grass and to allow alittle more prop clearance (1 gram weight penalty, but IMO worth it). AUW without trying to lighten anything is 375 grams (13.2oz). i think i can lose another 8-10 grams by installing smaller wires on the esc and drilling some lightening holes in the aluminum landing gear bracket which will bring it down to 12.9 oz. no stickers (graphics) or side windows in it yet as i'll just iron on some clear monokote instead.

took it to the local schoolyard to test fly it before taking to the flying field. all i can say it WOW! it flies great, as if it's on rails. it's not squirrely at all-super stable. i didn't put the recommended 1/8" of washout on the wing's TE either. the Razor power system is awesome in this plane and it slows down nicely for landings.

all in all, i'm very pleased with this plane. i'll post more pics and info later tonight.

regards,
john
jk is offline Find More Posts by jk
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 08, 2003, 02:26 PM
Canada, BC, Nanaimo
Joined Jul 2002
336 Posts
Thats great that your AUW is down and is more in the range that most people would like to fly it at. I may want this plane (again) and give your combo a try. Thanks for the R&D.

Jason
Blazin_Jason is offline Find More Posts by Blazin_Jason
Old Jun 11, 2003, 02:53 PM
jk
Huntington Beach, CA
Joined Apr 2001
1,281 Posts
since my Deacthalon is flying so well, i thought that i'd post a few pics of my complete setup. AUW is currently 13.2oz.

i'm using a GWS R4P rx mounted to the "dashboard" area with velcro along with an Azar antenna mounted internally. i didn't use the two supplied plywood plates/crossbraces (battery and rx supports) since i just velcro the pack into the floor just above the landing gear. it's CG balances perfectly this way. two HS-50 servos control the rudder/elevator with aluminum dubro micro EZ connectors for quick adjustments:

larger wheels from a wattage 330L allow for more prop clearance and takeoffs and landings from grass:

an incredible power to weight ratio comes from a Razor RZ-300 geared 5.375:1 with an alum Astroflight gearbox. (i made the aluminum motor mount to fit the firewall). also using a Phoenix 10 esc and 3 Etec-1200 lipos.

finally, i used a cirrus 5.4 submicro (5.4grams) servo for the ailerons. it has more torque than an HS-50 or a CS-10BB but is also smaller so it didn't fit the servo mounting as it's mounting screws would fall inside of the hole. i just broke out the original ply plate and made a new one from the rx ply plate that i didn't use. i also lowered the mount by 3/16" to allow a straighter shot to the aileron control horns. the 5.4 doesn't come with a large enough servo horn to yield enough throw, so i modified the "X" horn by bolting a larger one with two tiny 0-80 screws on top of it:

note: i think that the instruction's recommended aileron throws are too little so i not only used a large servo horn, but i also screwed the aileron horns further down their posts to shorten them allowing more throw.

regards,
john
jk is offline Find More Posts by jk
Last edited by jk; Jun 11, 2003 at 03:11 PM.