2,510 Posts
nice flying, and really nice landing

j3tman,
j3tman is offline Find More Posts by j3tman
to remove ads between posts
Old May 09, 2010, 05:48 PM
Joined Dec 2009
73 Posts
I'm seriously considering getting this newest version of the F-22 model. It looks great and version 3 has peaked my interest for sure. In Bananaís demo/review video of it... he states that you can opt to use elevon mixing on this bird.
I consider myself no longer a beginner in the RC flying hobby, but in no way an expert. I like to take advantage of features if I can as long as they donít complicate things to much and get me into trouble. My radio is a Futaba 10c -- so I can separate the aileron and elevator channels if I choose and enable the "Elivon" feature. Iím assuming by ĎElivonsí they are referring to running separate tail control surface channels to get mixed and run in conjunction with the Ailerons and also still act as elevators?
Does having elivons enables mostly help very low speed maneuvering, like slow high alpha and such?
MachLid is offline Find More Posts by MachLid
Old May 09, 2010, 06:50 PM
Were..is..my..Super..Suit ..
United States, NE, Papillion
Joined Sep 2009
2,510 Posts
yes elivons does give you more maneuverablity at low speeds becuase you have more control surface movement. and i do agree this thing looks really scale and reall cool

j3tman,
j3tman is offline Find More Posts by j3tman
Old May 09, 2010, 06:57 PM
Joined Feb 2007
858 Posts
MachLid,
Mixing your ailerons into the elevator and vice versa creates a phenomenal roll rate! With up elevator your ailerons become spoilerons and enhance aigh alpha flight. If you look into RCSUPERPOWERS.COM check for the video clip that they demonstrate this concept. They used a Starmax F-18 and almost had it stand on its tail.

I actually think it helps with flairing out and bleeding speed off while landing.
toughitaliankid is offline Find More Posts by toughitaliankid
Old May 09, 2010, 09:45 PM
Checking CG is for NERDS!
Joined Jun 2005
5,347 Posts
How is the scale appearance of this plane in person? I keep scratching my head on this one... in some pictures, it looks very acurate, in others it looks like somebody just copied the shape of an F-22 free-hand.
Smokescreen38 is offline Find More Posts by Smokescreen38
Old May 10, 2010, 07:48 AM
Joined Dec 2009
73 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by toughitaliankid View Post
MachLid,
Mixing your ailerons into the elevator and vice versa creates a phenomenal roll rate! With up elevator your ailerons become spoilerons and enhance aigh alpha flight. If you look into RCSUPERPOWERS.COM check for the video clip that they demonstrate this concept. They used a Starmax F-18 and almost had it stand on its tail.

I actually think it helps with flairing out and bleeding speed off while landing.
I'm only slightly familiar with RCpower and have seen a few of his VIDs before, but not the one with the F-18 doing the high alpha thing (which i did watch, thank you). If I get this new version of the F-22 (which I see happening soon) I think I may treat it like I have some of my other planes where I buy them just cause they look so damn good and use them as eye candy when flying with my buddies and other on-lookers. By this I mean I'll for sure fly the plane, and not only display it, but not pursue ultimate performance. Just make sure that it does fly right and have fun with it. I'm certainly not going to install "Fronterons" on it, LOL. I'll probably for sure try some elevon mixing though and maybe even Ailerons to elevator mixing too maybe just for some slow flight stuff.
MachLid is offline Find More Posts by MachLid
Old May 10, 2010, 10:41 AM
ID
Joined Apr 2005
444 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokescreen38 View Post
How is the scale appearance of this plane in person? I keep scratching my head on this one... in some pictures, it looks very acurate, in others it looks like somebody just copied the shape of an F-22 free-hand.
It looks pretty much like a real F22. I suggest going PnP and using your own receiver tho, both my jets are grounded due to electronics problems. Both are receiver issues it seems.
Sky HawK is offline Find More Posts by Sky HawK
Old May 10, 2010, 11:26 AM
skunkworks
United States, CA, Clovis
Joined Apr 2008
1,536 Posts
Well if banana releases a kit I would get one. I liked the look of the v1 without the retracts. V3 with retracts ,that's cool! RTF from banana no thanks.
Dark Angel is offline Find More Posts by Dark Angel
Old May 10, 2010, 01:25 PM
ID
Joined Apr 2005
444 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Angel View Post
Well if banana releases a kit I would get one. I liked the look of the v1 without the retracts. V3 with retracts ,that's cool! RTF from banana no thanks.
Ya can choose to get the jet without the RX/TX. It probably still comes with the servos, ESC and motor. I'll be changing out my ESC to a Typhoon Tsunami 54Amp. The servos seem fine.
Old May 10, 2010, 03:15 PM
skunkworks
United States, CA, Clovis
Joined Apr 2008
1,536 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky HawK View Post
Ya can choose to get the jet without the RX/TX. It probably still comes with the servos, ESC and motor. I'll be changing out my ESC to a Typhoon Tsunami 54Amp. The servos seem fine.

Yeah that is my problem when you buy a RTF or PnP you should not have to go out and buy a HET esc for it!
Dark Angel is offline Find More Posts by Dark Angel
Old May 10, 2010, 07:48 PM
Joined Feb 2007
858 Posts
Smoke,
The nose and intakes are not scale. The nose and canopy look more like the YF-22 in shape. The inlets are not as sharp in the scale diamond shape. Beyond that it looks good. Especially for $79.00 from BP Hobbies

DA
I got my kit at BPHobbies for the above price, dropped a Sapac MB-1 and fan in it for $60, Pentium 80esc from Value Hobby $60, and 4 9g tower pro sevos at $4 a piece from Value Hobby. I also got a $25 4s 25c 2200 lipo from Value as well.

For around the Banana price, I pieced mine together and it will eat the stock v1 alive in user friendliness and reliability.
toughitaliankid is offline Find More Posts by toughitaliankid
Old May 11, 2010, 10:52 AM
ID
Joined Apr 2005
444 Posts
Well my new DX6i , two AR6000 receivers and 4 servos are on the way! Looks like I might get to fly the F22, with rudders, this weekend!
Old May 12, 2010, 10:22 AM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2008
5,007 Posts
LX Lanxiang Models F 22 Raptor EDF Jet Fighter RTF Stunts, high alpha, handlaunch and catch landing (3 min 32 sec)

Even though that's a video of the V1, it's still incredible. The slow flight part made my jaw drop. I can't wait to build and fly mine.
T-CAT is offline Find More Posts by T-CAT
Old May 12, 2010, 10:27 AM
AEROBOT
Socal
Joined Jan 2009
318 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-CAT View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VLv8UCsY1o

Even though that's a video of the V1, it's still incredible. The slow flight part made my jaw drop. I can't wait to build and fly mine.
That was funny...
muzik59 is offline Find More Posts by muzik59
Old May 12, 2010, 11:26 AM
ID
Joined Apr 2005
444 Posts
That was sick. I can't wait to fly mine, hope the radio gear gets here soon!