SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 08, 2003, 01:29 PM
the journey is the reward
Canada
Joined Apr 2002
1,549 Posts
The big picture: Has an 18 year old American Kid got it... hit the nail on the head?

An 18 year old American kid posted this recently on an internet discussion board and the post has been floating around the net. I came across this on an information site not related to the original forum. Certainly an interesting, compelling and succinct view point.

"In a country where the poor and old cannot afford health care, in a country where the economy is falling apart, in a country where 44 million people live on less than $12,000 dollars a year, in a nation where 5 million people are homeless, in a country where the entire media system is owned by only six media mega conglomerates, in a nation with the highest crime rate, in a country with the world's largest prison population, in a society where 60% of marriages end in divorce, in a country where 25% of kids under 12 live in poverty, in a country that cut 25 billion dollars out of veterans benefits to help pay for a new war, in a country where the gulf between the rich and poor is growing everyday, in a nation that supports dictatorships in Saudi, Egypt, and Turkey, in a country where the government is full of corruption, in a country with the world's highest teen suicide and stress rates, and you're telling me our biggest problems are TERRORISM and DRUGS?
BULL*&^%!"

Posted by Muscles, Age 18

HH
Hammer Head is offline Find More Posts by Hammer Head
Old Jun 08, 2003, 01:53 PM
Human Like You
Colorado
Joined Feb 2001
1,616 Posts
Yikes.

I'm not so much amazed by the problems anymore. I'm curious about the reasons, the pre-requisites and the steps that can be taken by individuals, government and other organizations. There are programs and ideas out there that work.

To some extent, the problems we face are advantages to some. Lot of money out there in corrections, family law, drugs, booze, oil, military spending, rent, lending, childcare and self-help.
NewbieX is offline Find More Posts by NewbieX
Old Jun 08, 2003, 03:00 PM
Joined Apr 2000
940 Posts
i think it makes sense. it's just way people think. they would feel alot safer in a car than a passenger airline even though traveling by plane is alot safer
petn7 is offline Find More Posts by petn7
Old Jun 08, 2003, 03:41 PM
Useful Idiot
Asturias, Spain
Joined Mar 2001
3,553 Posts
Someone ought to point out to that 18-year-old that Turkey is a parliamentary democracy. Otherwise suspiciously profound for an age when I, at least, had a lot of more pressing priorities
martin richards is offline Find More Posts by martin richards
Old Jun 08, 2003, 04:23 PM
Alarm Bells Continuing!
Arizona
Joined Oct 2001
276 Posts
I don't believe that an 18-year old wrote that. And if he did, I feel sorry for him seeing only half-truth negatives in American society rather than the hundreds of million success stories. After a 30 year working career all over the country,l I saw more prosperity, enterprise, success and happiness than the ills he lists, and my eyes were open.
Big Foot 48 is offline Find More Posts by Big Foot 48
Old Jun 08, 2003, 04:44 PM
CA
Joined Aug 2002
876 Posts
Can anyone back up the statistics? 25% of kids under 12 are in poverty? I doubt it... Unless these "facts" are backed up by a CREDIBLE source I'd say an 18 year old pull them out of his umm... posterior because they sound good.
Hankstone is online now Find More Posts by Hankstone
Old Jun 08, 2003, 04:56 PM
Alarm Bells Continuing!
Arizona
Joined Oct 2001
276 Posts
He probably found an article on www.commondreams.com, the source of a lot of fantasies.
Old Jun 08, 2003, 05:08 PM
Useful Idiot
Asturias, Spain
Joined Mar 2001
3,553 Posts
Statisticians have a habit of defining abstract concepts such as poverty as a %age of the average. But as Churchill said, "There are lies, damned lies and statistics".
martin richards is offline Find More Posts by martin richards
Old Jun 08, 2003, 05:18 PM
the journey is the reward
Canada
Joined Apr 2002
1,549 Posts
"my eyes were open" Foot

On what side of town?

Having lived in Scottsdale Arizona, thinks looked pretty darn good…until

I drive across Phoenix with my bro, just to check it out, and we see poverty, the likes of which we had never seen before.

Anyone have stats to refute the Kid?

Martin is right about stats.

Beyond stat particulars, the point is still well made, 18 year old or not.

Example:

Number of incarcerated. Now over 2 million, the US recently hit this number and now beats out the Russia for the “most in jail” award.

HH
Hammer Head is offline Find More Posts by Hammer Head
Old Jun 08, 2003, 06:01 PM
europe
Joined Dec 2002
204 Posts
Could be any 18 year old most countries

A lot of countries are going the same way and in some cases a whole lot faster and badder

Even the so called strict countries like saudi arabia as ecomy starts to falter and suffer unemployment are picking up all types of problems normally assiated with poor developing nations and down beat sections of large western cities

In spain france holland britian belgium germany ireland portugal you can see all form of extremes from drugs on the streets police brutality holigans attacking people for no reason car rage and a steady increase in gun related crime with sub machine guns

If you want to find bad things about any country you will but if you want to prove its sliding down thats not always soo clear

Historical accounts of rome in the time of nero make terifing reading

I for one dont know all the anseres but dont believe any goverment does eithier

If the articale is true would be interesting to see it again when he hits forty and has his two car 2.3 kids in suburbia at 40 years old

I try only to have as much impact on the areas of inflence that I encounter family friends work colligies etc as I sure cant change the world (it a mess)

I for one do not approve of crime violence racializm but will speak up against these policalical correctness jerks who seem to to be taking over the planet

Stephen in europe
heli frapper is offline Find More Posts by heli frapper
Old Jun 08, 2003, 07:41 PM
CA
Joined Aug 2002
876 Posts
Sorry HH, I don't think I need to "refute" him... When one makes such statements they need to back them up, you know, like when writing a paper... You state the source with page number etc... Otherwise I think most would agree they can be discounted out of hand.

Understand, I'm not saying they are wrong, just doubtful as to the degree. If you stretch the truth in order to make a point you weaken your case over all... Integrity is important, unless you are a pro-Clinton type...

Hank
Old Jun 08, 2003, 07:50 PM
Alarm Bells Continuing!
Arizona
Joined Oct 2001
276 Posts
So we set up some rules for our society called laws, all pretty reasonable like don't kill other people, don't steal their property, don't drive too fast. When someone breaks a law we go through a further process where we talk to them, we fine them or if all else fails we put them in jail.

So now it's at 2 million. SO WHAT! Are our rules wrong? CHANGE THEM! If not, let's not cry over the freedom we give people and the consequences when they abuse that freedom.

Two million? No big deal!
Old Jun 08, 2003, 08:50 PM
central AZ
Joined May 2002
1,350 Posts
I feel what's important here is that issues like those listed get taken care of. I, too, feel that many of them were exaggerated, but they all do exist to some extent or another. However, there must be priorities, and the ones that claim human life are usually the ones that will get the most attention.

What caught my attention was that there was only one period for that whole paragraph, and the use of explicit language will only get you so far. Other than that, I think he's on a good road.

Nick R.
KnifeEdge51 is online now Find More Posts by KnifeEdge51
Old Jun 08, 2003, 10:57 PM
Motors beat engines!
Milwaukee Wisconsin, United States
Joined Feb 2001
4,564 Posts
"So now it's at 2 million. SO WHAT! Are our rules wrong? CHANGE THEM! If not, let's not cry over the freedom we give people and the consequences when they abuse that freedom.

Two million? No big deal!"

I gotta agree here. Would the U.S. be a better place or a worse place if you released say 1 million of them?

Do you really have to think about it?

Dean in Milwaukee
DeaninMilwaukee is offline Find More Posts by DeaninMilwaukee
Old Jun 08, 2003, 11:01 PM
CA
Joined Aug 2002
876 Posts
But Dean, it's OUR fault they are there... We need to UNDERSTAND them, what caused them to go wrong..

Ok, I got that out without puking!!

Actually, we could reduce that statistic real quick, don't let 1 million go, let's execute em!!