HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 08, 2003, 09:31 AM
Foam Flyer
Michigan
Joined Sep 2001
266 Posts
Anyone detail a GWS warbird?

Hello,

I just looked over a GWS Me-109 at the local HS. The foam pieces have a decent shape, they are light, and there is a lot of wing area, but I was pondering the possibilities.

I was wondering if anyone has done any of the following to improve the scale effect of this model. Such as:

1. Filling/sanding the foam
2. Glassing for a smooth finish
3. Applying a scale paint scheme
4. Adapting a Mega brushless to offset extra weight with better performance.

Let me know if you have "scaled-out" your GWS warbird and what the results were.

Best Regards,

jc
rc4metoo is offline Find More Posts by rc4metoo
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 08, 2003, 02:10 PM
Mississauga, Ontario
Joined Mar 2003
696 Posts
Although I haven't tried detailing a GWS 109, I suppose a good starting point would be to look at what Flying Styro has done with their more scale bf109. The GWS needs a scale canopy, first of all, with the missing lower triangle at the front of the canopy. It also needs the cannons protruding from the wings.
The radiator(s) under the wing would be a nice touch. I'd make them out of scrap plastic or foam. The GWS is also missing the small vertical radio post (at least i guess thats what its for) that extends upwards from just behind the canopy - a wire extends from the top of this post to the top of the vertical stab. The left side air scoop on the engine cowl is also in the wrong place in the GWS, it should be centered exactly on the cowl paint line, as opposed to in front or behind. Another possible scale add-on would be a scale spinner, the GWS one looks a tad too long. A 3-bladed prop would be even better.

The landing gear is a no-brainer (if you want it on the plane) and GWS' gear is about as far from scale as they get.

The ONLY problem with GWS' Bf109E (for me anyway) is its lack of scale realism. I'd love to buy a Flying Styro instead (its super detailed) but the GWS has 4-channel flight, and is bigger and more durable. Good luck with adding realism to your GWS, heck, if you really improve it and it still flies superbly, il forget the FS and get me a GWS too!
The Max-Q is offline Find More Posts by The Max-Q
Old Jun 08, 2003, 08:36 PM
Foam Flyer
Michigan
Joined Sep 2001
266 Posts
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally posted by The Max-Q

The ONLY problem with GWS' Bf109E (for me anyway) is its lack of scale realism. I'd love to buy a Flying Styro instead (its super detailed) but the GWS has 4-channel flight, and is bigger and more durable. Good luck with adding realism to your GWS, heck, if you really improve it and it still flies superbly, il forget the FS and get me a GWS too!
Yes, the FS 109 is a beauty, but too small for me. I like size and wing area of the GWS, plus I can my mega motor in it. I hand launch so no problem with the gear. I guess that the only thing that bugs me about the GWS is the styro beads mottling the finish.

Thanks for your comments!

JC
Old Jun 09, 2003, 01:45 AM
planaholic
Zig Zag, OR
Joined Mar 2003
175 Posts
I received a GWS P51 that had been built, painted and flown a few times. I am in the process of sanding off the molding marks, filling in some of the same and will refinish it in a swiss airforce scheme. I am going to glass the bottom of the nose and air intake as well. I can post finished pictures if any body is interested. bob
bob the builder is offline Find More Posts by bob the builder
Old Jun 09, 2003, 12:58 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,176 Posts
Re: Anyone detail a GWS warbird?

Quote:
Originally posted by rc4metoo
... I was wondering if anyone has done any of the following to improve the scale effect of this model...
You can do some detailing, here's mine after about one hour of fooling around with the airbrush. But don't overdo it, it's just a $49 foam bird ...
Herb is offline Find More Posts by Herb
Old Jun 09, 2003, 01:02 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,176 Posts
I like my GWS P-51D too, Aveox 1005/3y DD I had lying around. Very sturdy, 50+ flights by now. Flies extremely well for a $49 kit ...
Last edited by Herb; Jun 09, 2003 at 01:06 PM.
Old Jun 10, 2003, 08:23 PM
Foam Flyer
Michigan
Joined Sep 2001
266 Posts
Re: Re: Anyone detail a GWS warbird?

Quote:
Originally posted by Herb
But don't overdo it, it's just a $49 foam bird ...
Herb,

I think that you have captured it all in that sentence. I'll just get a white one and spool up the 'old airbrush.

Oh, where are you guys getting these things for $49.00? The best I have seen is $59.99.

Thanks to all for your thoughts and pictures of your aircraft!

JC
Old Jun 11, 2003, 06:42 AM
British expatriot
Tecumseh, MI
Joined Jan 2003
26 Posts
JC,

So you're thinking of going all foamie, eh?

http://www2.mailordercentral.com/quantummodels/

These guys have the unpainted 109 for $49.99 - I bought my radios and a few kits from Quantum and I like them.

Best Regards...JG
JonathanG is offline Find More Posts by JonathanG
Old Jun 12, 2003, 04:06 PM
Lookin' Good. Real Good.
London, Canada
Joined Aug 2002
3,979 Posts
I put a pilot on my Mustang and gave it a Miss Detroit Racer scheme. Red and white. Looks good. I sanded down the little star makes as well.

Cam
larsy87 is offline Find More Posts by larsy87
Old Jun 12, 2003, 10:51 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,176 Posts
The gws A-10 does not look too bad either ...
Old Jun 13, 2003, 05:02 PM
A Few Sandwiches Shy
Orlando, FL
Joined Jun 2001
1,961 Posts
Here's my GWS Spit. Just basic paint now. I'll be detailing it with the Airbrush soon.
RMason is offline Find More Posts by RMason
Old Jun 13, 2003, 05:05 PM
A Few Sandwiches Shy
Orlando, FL
Joined Jun 2001
1,961 Posts
Here's a GWS 109 in Swiss military colors. The GWS 109 is actually pretty scale for the "T" version that was supposed to be used on the Graf Zepplin carrier. The "T" version had a longer wing.
RMason is offline Find More Posts by RMason
Old Jun 13, 2003, 09:17 PM
Austin
Joined Aug 2002
504 Posts
My 109 but my airbrush is down so I had to use spray paint!
Steve
centex pilot is offline Find More Posts by centex pilot
Old Jun 20, 2003, 03:52 PM
Foam Flyer
Michigan
Joined Sep 2001
266 Posts
Spinner?

Quote:
Originally posted by centex pilot
My 109 but my airbrush is down so I had to use spray paint!
Steve
Steve,

What did you use for a spinner? It looks good.

jc
Old Jun 20, 2003, 11:02 PM
Austin
Joined Aug 2002
504 Posts
Thanks jc:
The kit comes with a more scale foam spinner but since I belly land them all, the spinner only lasted 2 flights. That is the spinner out of my GWS P-51 kit. You can buy them as a GWS part. I roughed it up and used kilz primer. The markings are courtesy of a sharpie!

Steve
centex pilot is offline Find More Posts by centex pilot