HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 02, 2010, 04:48 PM
Making wood fly since 2007
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,403 Posts
New Soaring location

Just a quick update before the long weekend arrives. I have located a new soaring site in town. It is just off of 19th Street NW, near the Hathaway brush dump. I found this site a while back and checked it out with the city and discovered it was part of the city park system. I also contacted the city and confirmed that soaring in the parks is not against any city ordinances. So here is a little map with a rough outline of the park area. Ray and I scoped this out a few weeks ago and both agree that it is a very good location for flying any wind direction except east winds. North/South wind is best and long enough for a winch or hi-start. West wind is ok but you would need an electric for launching as the field is a bit narrow that direction. Everything within the black line is fair game for flying. Legally you could fly over the houses but lets not do that. Happy homeowners are nice homeowners and people can get annoyed with planes over their homes and that would only make for a bad situation. There is plenty of room to not need to go over the houses. The basic additional rule for this specific field will be: Don't launch towards the houses or fly over them. Obviously all normal safe flying rules apply.

Here is a picture of the site and if any of you decide to go out soaring this weekend and you want company please post here. It is my hope that this thread will become the message board for outings and achievements for all of us. Enjoy your long weekend everyone.

Wayne
Windependence is offline Find More Posts by Windependence
Last edited by Windependence; Jul 02, 2010 at 04:56 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 02, 2010, 04:51 PM
low'n'slow is the way to go
United States, MN
Joined Sep 2008
734 Posts
COOL! how do you go about contacting the city about this type of thing?
DeepEastKilla is offline Find More Posts by DeepEastKilla
Old Jul 02, 2010, 05:00 PM
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,403 Posts
I simply walked over to my City Hall, found the parks Dept and asked for all of the ordinances relating to parks. I also asked them directly if flying non gas powered remote controlled planes was allowed or not. They stated that there is no ordinance stopping us from flying there. So as long as we fly responsibly and respectfully we should be able to continue flying there.

Wayne
Old Jul 02, 2010, 05:01 PM
low'n'slow is the way to go
United States, MN
Joined Sep 2008
734 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windependence View Post
I simply walked over to my City Hall, found the parks Dept and asked for all of the ordinances relating to parks. I also asked them directly if flying non gas powered remote controlled planes was allowed or not. They stated that there is no ordinance stopping us from flying there. So as long as we fly responsibly and respectfully we should be able to continue flying there.

Wayne
i see
DeepEastKilla is offline Find More Posts by DeepEastKilla
Old Jul 29, 2010, 08:43 AM
SE Minnesota
Joined May 2009
250 Posts
Woo-whooooo

http://www.usairnet.com/cgi-bin/laun...=KRST&state=MN
JOHNNYDXYZ is offline Find More Posts by JOHNNYDXYZ
Old Oct 13, 2010, 10:39 PM
Dr. Wylam
Rochester, MN
Joined Jan 2005
23 Posts
Rochester Soaring

Wayne,

Found your site here and your building thread. As I mentioned to you (by phone when I was at the LHS) I am building an e-Oly III.

Looking forward to joining you at your next outing.

Mark
mew09 is offline Find More Posts by mew09
Old Oct 14, 2010, 10:43 AM
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,403 Posts
Mark,

I am very glad you were able to find me here. I misplaced your email address so have been unable to contact you. Send it to me in PM so that I can get you on the distribution list.

Wayne
Old Oct 14, 2010, 09:03 PM
Dr. Wylam
Rochester, MN
Joined Jan 2005
23 Posts
19th Street NW, near the Hathaway brush dump.

Checked out site today at 5 pm.

Wind was 20kts out of n.w.

Lift off west rim of soccer field would have been decent.
Old Dec 07, 2010, 03:15 PM
Dr. Wylam
Rochester, MN
Joined Jan 2005
23 Posts
Electric Oly III Build status

Enclosed are pics from the ongoing build. Kit is modified from SkyBench.com. Motor is Neu 1110/1Y geared 6.7:1.
Old Dec 07, 2010, 04:54 PM
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,403 Posts
Very nice looking plane. I don't know if your build instructions included it or not. In one of the Oly threads Ray chimed in and suggested reinforcing the wing joiner tube in the fuselage. It is a simple enough mod, just a couple pieces of 3/8" wide spruce spar stock glued to the underside of the joiner tube inside the fuselage.

Do you have a warm enough place to continue working on it? I know my garage is getting a little on the cool side. I am going to organize a ALES contest this coming spring/summer. That looks like a fine candidate for it. It will be fun to see how the Oly III and Raven compare to each other.

Wayne
Old Dec 07, 2010, 07:52 PM
Dr. Wylam
Rochester, MN
Joined Jan 2005
23 Posts
Wayne

Thanks for the comments. I did read somewhere in Ray's notes about the need to stregthen below the wing joiner brass tube. I think he describes this as an "anti-crush box". This would keep the fuselage side from flexing inward at the leading edge of the wing if a wingtip contact were to contact the ground with sufficient force.

I am debating on a redesign of tail feathers. I do not need to do this for weight/cg. However, many suggest that a stabilator is superior to a fixed stab. In this way the stabilator trim essentially allows an infinite opportunity to optimize the decalage. What do you think? What will you do on the Raven?

Garage is insulated and heated. I keep it about 50-55 F and bump it to 63-65when I am out there. The downside is I keep the fleet outside as the ecology goes to heck tracking in the snow and sand!

Mark
Old Dec 08, 2010, 02:09 AM
who has rabbit ears down
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jan 2007
3,509 Posts
Mark!
I would put my vote in for the stabilator! definately infinite! What the most fun I had with my BOT, was the first time I dialed in to "on the step"- that perfect groove:
she was at about 20 feet,about 1/3 of football field location, heading for the "far away" goal post- she maintained level flight, and a slight increase in speed. it was a large radius circle before landing then I then marked that spot with a majic marker as a "zero" point.
Captain Canardly is online now Find More Posts by Captain Canardly
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 10, 2010, 04:28 PM
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,403 Posts
Hi Mark,

I am going with stabilators on the Raven. It is what the plans call for and I like the idea of the full flying tail. This will be my first build using this style of tail but there must be something to is as you do tend to see it on many of the bigger sailplanes. If you decide to go that route you will need a bell crank. Check out the Raven thread for a picture of the one I got for mine. I am certain it would work on an Oly III. You can get them from Isthmus models.
Wayne
Old Feb 22, 2011, 05:43 PM
Joined Feb 2011
7 Posts
I live in Rochester and would like to join the group. I am building a Square Soar 72. The kit has sat on the shelf for many years.
Don Brace
trainsntoys2000 is offline Find More Posts by trainsntoys2000
Old Feb 22, 2011, 10:38 PM
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,403 Posts
Hi Don,

It's nice of you to login and say hi. If you send me a PM with your email address I will get you on our email notification list for upcoming events. I am getting really excited about spring. This past week I had enough free time to get my primary glider repaired and flight ready for this upcoming season. I really hope you can join us this summer, I would love to see your Square Soar 72 at the field. If you need any assistance getting it set up or have any building questions please feel free to ask. There are a couple of us builders in the area who can help you but more importantly there is the entire RCGroups community right here, many of whom have forgotten more building knowledge than I currently have, ready and able to help out. Post a picture of your plane when you can.

Wayne