HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 14, 2010, 12:46 PM
Making wood fly since 2007
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,294 Posts
Flying announcement

I just wanted to let everyone here know that I will be flying this Saturday, June 19th weather permitting, and would like to invite any interested glider pilots to join me. I will decide where I am flying later this week as the different fields I fly from are wind direction dependent. Right now the extended weather forecast is calling for calm but overcast.

If you have a glider come out and join me, if you are interested in gliders come on out and ask me all of the questions you have been dying to ask about silent flight. I will post the flying location here later this week.

Wayne
Windependence is offline Find More Posts by Windependence
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 14, 2010, 01:14 PM
low'n'slow is the way to go
United States, MN
Joined Sep 2008
734 Posts
wont be able to make it, hope there is video tho!
DeepEastKilla is offline Find More Posts by DeepEastKilla
Old Jun 14, 2010, 08:30 PM
Low altitude flyboy
Minneapolis
Joined May 2010
325 Posts
I've been watching this thread for a while now. I think I'll subscribe. I live in Minneapolis so I'm just a bit outside of your area, but i would like to see whats happening down the road.
MajorMal is offline Find More Posts by MajorMal
Old Jun 14, 2010, 08:31 PM
United States, MN
Joined Sep 2008
734 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorMal View Post
I've been watching this thread for a while now. I think I'll subscribe. I live in Minneapolis so I'm just a bit outside of your area, but i would like to see whats happening down the road.
lol im the same way. any time i see something like this within a 100 mile radius i want to see it even tho i cant go.
Old Jun 14, 2010, 08:52 PM
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,294 Posts
Why thank you MajorMal. I am planning to attend the woodie event on the 26th that is being put on by the MRCSS. Hopefully I will see you there and we can meet. I am going to be flying a yellow winged Sig Riser 2M. I am hoping to bring a few other people with me.

Wayne
Old Jun 14, 2010, 09:02 PM
Low altitude flyboy
Minneapolis
Joined May 2010
325 Posts
The more the merrier I say! I'll look for you. I have the event on my calender. I'll have the big black Cumic plus and a red spirit 100

Do you have any good slopes in your area? There is a big shortage around here. I also decided to retire my old sloper. Its been crashed so many times the the glue outweighs the balsa. I plan to build one after the SkyBird project.
Old Jun 15, 2010, 02:43 PM
SE Minnesota
Joined May 2009
248 Posts
Will there be any way for electric sailplanes to compete?

Fine if there's not, I'm planning to be there anyway!
JOHNNYDXYZ is offline Find More Posts by JOHNNYDXYZ
Old Jun 15, 2010, 02:54 PM
Low altitude flyboy
Minneapolis
Joined May 2010
325 Posts
I'm not sure about that. Its been many years since I've been in the MRCSS. Back 10 or 12 years, the contests were sailplane only. But they did hold a Radian contest a couple weeks back. I missed that. So I say wait and see. Bring it anyway.
Old Jun 15, 2010, 09:45 PM
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,294 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNNYDXYZ View Post
Will there be any way for electric sailplanes to compete?

Fine if there's not, I'm planning to be there anyway!
Yes, these events will be including electric launch sailplanes. Rochester Soaring is not a club, it is a loose affiliation of pilots who are interested in soaring. I do not care how you get your plane into the air, winch it, throw it, hi-start it or electric motor it up to height. Once up in the air the motor goes off and it is silent flight. I have a plan to even the field between electrics and traditional launched planes for launching purposes. Please remember this event is primarily to have fun, build skills, learn from other pilots and to have fun. (yea I know fun is in there twice)

If you put two pilots in the air at the same place, a little friendly competition will always result. Bring a timer to record your flight times, I will have a landing area and a landing tape for those of us wanting the challenge. If you are working on LSF or SSP tasks remember to bring your sheets. I am willing to witness for anyone. I need two more spot landings myself for level one. The electric postal contest is also running this same day so electric flights can also count for this if you are participating. Here is a link to Robert Burson's electric postal contest.

Wayne
Old Jun 15, 2010, 09:46 PM
United States, MN
Joined Sep 2008
734 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windependence View Post
Yes, these events will be including electric launch sailplanes. Rochester Soaring is not a club, it is a loose affiliation of pilots who are interested in soaring. I do not care how you get your plane into the air, winch it, throw it, hi-start it or electric motor it up to height. Once up in the air the motor goes off and it is silent flight. I have a plan to even the field between electrics and traditional launched planes for launching purposes. Please remember this event is primarily to have fun, build skills, learn from other pilots and to have fun. (yea I know fun is in there twice)

If you put two pilots in the air at the same place, a little friendly competition will always result. Bring a timer to record your flight times, I will have a landing area and a landing tape for those of us wanting the challenge. If you are working on LSF or SSP tasks remember to bring your sheets. I am willing to witness for anyone. I need two more spot landings myself for level one. The electric postal contest is also running this same day so electric flights can also count for this if you are participating.

Wayne
sounds like fun!
Old Jun 16, 2010, 09:56 AM
SE Minnesota
Joined May 2009
248 Posts
Looks good for practicing tonite....http://www.usairnet.com/cgi-bin/laun...=KFKA&state=MN

For Saturday, near as I can tell, sunny and South at 11 mph.
Old Jun 16, 2010, 11:38 AM
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,294 Posts
I agree with you about tonight. I am planning to get a little practice in also. I want to get the Riser all trimmed out for Saturday. I have not flown it since repairing the broken tail from the Rusty Thumbs event. It will be in top condition for Saturday.

Wayne
Old Jun 16, 2010, 11:54 AM
Low altitude flyboy
Minneapolis
Joined May 2010
325 Posts
It seems good flying days have been rare in this neck of the woods as of late.
Old Jun 16, 2010, 12:08 PM
SE Minnesota
Joined May 2009
248 Posts
I have two complete ready-to-fly (although much repaired) Radians that need final trimming and balancing in the relatively calm air tonite. I'll bring both on Saturday..hope it's not too windy!
Old Jun 17, 2010, 11:32 AM
SE Minnesota
Joined May 2009
248 Posts
http://www.usairnet.com/cgi-bin/laun...A&state=MN...I don't know how accurate this is this far out, but it is usually dead-on 12 - 24 hours.