HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 13, 2012, 01:31 PM
Joined Mar 2011
38 Posts
Purchased Alula Kit

I just purchased one of those Alula slope gliders from the business that has the Weasel. These gliders appear to fly well on small slopes.

Just before the snow came I tried slope soaring the Cox SkyCruiser off the Kalmar Dam. The wind was rather variable but I was able to fly with the motor off some of the time. I added a balsa extension to the rudder which helps. I think for slope flying you really need ailerons.

Sloping and dsing the Alula. (2 min 43 sec)

Bill Kuhl
ScienceGuyOrg is offline Find More Posts by ScienceGuyOrg
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 17, 2012, 04:45 PM
low'n'slow is the way to go
United States, MN
Joined Sep 2008
734 Posts
Very cool to see you on the forums Bill! That alula looks very similar to the Revert glider Daniel D. made a while back. As you may know, my hobbies flop mainly between firearms and all things rc and it seems now the RC bug has come back again for winter. Im not 100% sure what I want to get into (Been looking at FP helicopters yet again), but lurking around on RCG I always seem to gravitate towards the sailplanes... Who knows.

See ya around, Mike H.

*edit*

Looking back at the start of the thread and I cannot believe its already been two years. Time seems to be speeding up rather quickly. NOT GOOD!
DeepEastKilla is offline Find More Posts by DeepEastKilla
Last edited by DeepEastKilla; Dec 17, 2012 at 04:48 PM. Reason: WOW...
Old Dec 17, 2012, 06:55 PM
Joined Mar 2011
38 Posts
Alula kit just arrived. I bought one of those little Helimax quad copters also that I have been flying in the house. And I just bought myself for Xmas a GoPro camera which I see advertised on the bottom of this page but I purchased the cheapest one. Most likely will try to mount it on the Radian Pro.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 08:20 PM
Making wood fly since 2007
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,468 Posts
Hi Mike,

Its been a while, nice to see you again. It has been a fast three years for Rochester Soaring. Our first event was the Rusty Thumbs event May of 2010, just a few guys getting together to try our hands at slope soaring. There were only a few organized events that year but we got much more organized in 2011 and this past year was a huge success. Next year will be even better yet. We will have some more ALES events and we will most definitely have another My Fair Maiden event to showcase new planes. My Raven will be finished by then and Ray's Chrysalis should be in the air. Hopefully Mr. Kite will be able to show us his new Durex and Captain C might be able to bring down another backwards flying canard. Doc993 has some building planned for this winter, rumor has it he is building a Mirage and Bill has been getting new planes like nobodies business. Who knows maybe Mark will even have his Oly III finished by then. Hey JohnnyDXYZ, lets get that BoT repaired. If nothing else bring one of your Radians out to play.

I already have event ideas planned for more than half of next years flying season. Some of them are already of the Rochester Soaring website calendar of evens. I am contemplating having a Ray Hayes Woodcrafters type of event next summer and a F3F slope event. I learned a ton over the course of the past season on how to, and how not to, host a sailplane event. Things will go much smoother in 2013. Lets not forget that we now have a number of slope soaring locations to fly from so no event will need to be canceled due to high winds. If it is too windy to thermal we will simply slope. I am going to do some practice F3F style events this winter so we will be ready come spring. My Sig Ninja is repaired and ready to fly so be on the lookout for it at a slope near you.

My personal goal for next year is to fly at least once, every month of the year. I have no idea if I can accomplish that or not but it will be a fun challenge to undertake. Any one else interested in giving it a try? Slope or thermal, electric, string launch or hand launch, it doesn't matter.

Wayne
Windependence is offline Find More Posts by Windependence
Old Dec 18, 2012, 10:05 PM
low'n'slow is the way to go
United States, MN
Joined Sep 2008
734 Posts
Good stuff wayne. Glad to hear things are looking up. Over the past years Ive gotten into firearms quite a bit more and that has taken up the majority of my time and money, but every winter the tide seems to turn back towards RC and Im hoping I can get back in the swing of things.
DeepEastKilla is offline Find More Posts by DeepEastKilla
Old Dec 23, 2012, 05:34 AM
SE Minnesota
Joined May 2009
250 Posts
I think I've been bitten by the Chrysalis bug, so if things go well I may have one ready for June. I'll take up the monthly flight challenge. I think I accomplished that last year but didn't document.
JOHNNYDXYZ is offline Find More Posts by JOHNNYDXYZ
Old Dec 26, 2012, 05:16 PM
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,468 Posts
Hi everyone,

I just wanted to share a little something with all of you. As you might know I launched the Rochester Soaring website earlier this year. If you do either a Google or Bing search our website comes up number 1 on the search results. Not just on the first page but first on the list. So feel free to tell interested soaring pilots to just Google Rochester Soaring and they will find us.

Wayne
Old Dec 26, 2012, 07:27 PM
who has rabbit ears down
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jan 2007
3,591 Posts
Thanks Wayne! I give that a forward!
Captain Canardly is online now Find More Posts by Captain Canardly
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Doin' What come naturally!
Old Dec 28, 2012, 07:43 PM
Old beginner...
Brasil, RS, Porto Alegre
Joined May 2011
50 Posts
BoT and lousy maiden

Got a BoT and put a Radian Pro motor, one Radian servo for the elevator and a standard servo for the rudder.
COG in place, a bunch of lead inside and out of the fuse (will be melted in the form of the fuse, just behind motor), some 300g.
Early morning to avoid winds (I'm in a beach in southern Brazil), all set, no wind and an easy trow. Strait and stable flight. Gave it full power, slowly, but motor angle is wrong, not enough down. Went up, reduced power, climbed some and made a circle.

Rudder trow at manual's amplitude, little control. Elevator OK, but rudder feels lousy and wind appeared, so I decided to land. Headed into the wind and started to bleed speed. Plenty of room, plane at 3 ft off the ground, all right until a sudden sideway gust lifted left wing. Full rudder correction, no result at all. Right wing touches ground and plane cartweels.

Fuse broken just behing wing, possibly repairable, center wing section damaged.

Planning to fix it and install ailerons at the tips of the wing, flaps in center section. Intend to use the original trailling edge for both, after building a new one inside the wing, between ribs, to have a support for the moving parts. Will use Radian Pro servos and push rods. Let's see what happens. Will document the work and post it here.
JBGROS is offline Find More Posts by JBGROS
Old Jan 04, 2013, 03:25 PM
SE Minnesota
Joined May 2009
250 Posts
Flight Report

Nice afternoon to get the old Radian up and around. Batteries were indicating good charges, light WSW breeze, so I just lightly climbed into the breeze to about 400 feet and soared around for a little. Nothing spectacular, but there was an eagle also enjoying the light lift.

So that's my January 2013 flight. Hopefully there will be at least several more.

Got the Radian up for a bit yesterday (Friday the 8th) and actually played with some lift in the nearly calm 34F air. Kind a rough landing in a snow drift, but only popped the rubber bands off.

The it was back to the shop for more work on the Chrysalis. The fuselage and tail feathers (conventional) are taking shape.
Last edited by JOHNNYDXYZ; Feb 09, 2013 at 07:01 AM.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 02:14 PM
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,468 Posts
Hi Johnny,

You wasted no time in getting out this year. Good job. I was hoping to get out this weekend but it looks to be a little too windy, not to mention brisk, for me. Maybe next weekend will work out. You certainly had a few nice days there temperature wise. 30's in January is a gift. I know George was out this past week with his Radian. He snuck in just under the warm weather wire. Now that the temps have dropped back down into the teens it will take some real intestinal fortitude to get out there and fly.

Wayne
Old Jan 15, 2013, 11:28 AM
Joined Mar 2011
38 Posts
The Value of RC Groups & Programming the Spek 6xi

I have the Alula glider almost put together which really isn't much work. Someone pointed me to a huge thread on RC Groups on the Alula which has really helped. It appears the nose can break off easy so I think I will add a couple of carbon rods.

I really struggled with getting my Spektrum 6xi radio programmed to correctly work with the Alula and it turns out so have a lot of people. Someone had posted the steps to make it work and that helped so much. I doubt I would have ever figured it out within a reasonable time.

Haven't done any outdoor flying in a long time but fly my Heli-max quadcopter in the house. I feel like it helps keep the hand-eye coordination active.

Bill Kuhl
Old Feb 11, 2013, 09:41 AM
SE Minnesota
Joined May 2009
250 Posts
Help with Chrysalis Motor/Spinner/prop choice

I've done quite a bit of thread and forum searching (ended up with my head spinning) and am wondering if any of you have time to advise on my current project.

I want to finish shaping my Chrysalis fuselage but really first need to choose a motor and spinner combo. I have a spare Radian RE motor, props and spinner but would need to replace the yoke. That spinner is about 50mm..kind of big for the Chrysalis fuse, and I don't like the plastic yoke design. So, IF I use the Radian motor (480 I believe), which has a 4mm shaft, what is my best and most cost effective prop/spinner combo?

Or should I just take the plunge and go for a new motor/prop/spinner combo, and then what is the most cost effective route to go? Keeping in mind that I would like to be competitive in the ALES contests this summer?

I kind of like to standardize on batteries and have found the 1300mah/30C to provide good power/weight/price for the RE Radian.

I keep reading about BB spinners and Aeronaut blades..is this the right direction to be looking?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Wayne...did you notice I posted a February flight?
Old Feb 11, 2013, 10:12 AM
May the Wind Always be Good
Webster, Minnesota
Joined Feb 2007
493 Posts
You can't go wrong with Aeronaut blades...
Mr. Kite is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Kite
Old Feb 11, 2013, 07:18 PM
Lakeville Minnesota
Lakeville MN
Joined Oct 2008
514 Posts
I second the Aeronaut blades but can't help with the motor selection. A little extra power for motor selection is ok, just don't over power it for your bird. Weight of the aircraft to fly efficiently is an important factor so pick the right size and weight motor for it.

Steve
SailingAlong is offline Find More Posts by SailingAlong