SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 05, 2012, 10:36 PM
Making wood fly since 2007
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,501 Posts
Say Bill, I like the look of that 2 meter. Any new ideas what it is? Maybe you could post a picture in a thread asking for help identifying it. Regardless of what it is, I am looking forward to seeing it fly.

I have not made any real headway on the Raven but I think I am really close to picking a wing pattern and color scheme. I went so far as to do a mock up wing to see if I would like what I have floating around in my head. Here is a picture, roughly, of where I am going. I will probably get rid of the black wingtip and everything under the black dividing stripe will be white. Nothing is concrete yet. The bottom of the wing will be black instead of gold and will have the wingtip be black. Slowly but surely.

Wayne
Windependence is offline Find More Posts by Windependence
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 10, 2012, 01:12 PM
F3P and Sailplanes-Great!
S.E. Minnesota
Joined Jun 2007
414 Posts
Got a Chrysalis kit for my birthday!

My wife gave me a Chrysalis 2m sailplane kit for my birthday. I am very pleased. I will build it slowly and carefully and hope to have it ready for its maiden flight in a couple of months. I think I will build it with a V-tail. I like the way they look.

Right now I need to decide on my building platform: granite slab, hollow-core door from Menards, etc.). Advice is welcome. I will then need advice on covering material. I was thinking of using polyurethane or sanding sealer on the fuselage rather than monocote-type coverings.

My new Chrysalis will replace the 2M Spirit RES I flew this summer. The Spirit flies quite well. If there is anyone in the group who can provide the Spirit a good home, I will be happy to give it to him/her. All it will need is a battery and a receiver.

Ray
RayPB is offline Find More Posts by RayPB
Last edited by RayPB; Nov 10, 2012 at 11:50 PM. Reason: Corrected typo
Old Nov 10, 2012, 04:28 PM
SE Minnesota
Joined May 2009
250 Posts
Congratulations on the Chrysalis! My understanding was that they have been slow in shipping these lately. Wayne has recommended the Chrysalis to me as a build project, but I got a BOT kit instead. After flying and crashing the BOT, I'm starting to think I would be happier with a 2M sailplane with a pedigree like the Chrysalis. 3M is awfully big...but I am looking for a step up from the Radian.

For a building platform, I laminated a piece of 1/2" plywood with a piece of 3/4" Masonite. It was flat for the duration of the BOT build, but since has taken on a warp from leaning up against the wall. Let us know what you settle on.
JOHNNYDXYZ is offline Find More Posts by JOHNNYDXYZ
Old Nov 10, 2012, 06:44 PM
United States, WI, Stoddard
Joined Dec 2009
1,139 Posts
Every one I know that has a Chrysalis loves it.It's on next years list.
doc993 is offline Find More Posts by doc993
Old Nov 10, 2012, 10:48 PM
United States, OH, Bradford
Joined Jun 2005
4,076 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNNYDXYZ View Post
Congratulations on the Chrysalis! My understanding was that they have been slow in shipping these lately....
That's very old news. We were having some serious problems with production and shipping, but that was months ago. We have that situation well under control now. While a little two-man shop like us doesn't have the resources to offer 12 hour shipping, we do get them out pretty quickly these days.
Don Stackhouse is offline Find More Posts by Don Stackhouse
Old Nov 10, 2012, 11:07 PM
who has rabbit ears down
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jan 2007
3,631 Posts
That's for sure Don!
Now I have to get moved out- again- then I can play 'baby' Chryss'!
Captain Canardly is offline Find More Posts by Captain Canardly
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: One printer running!
Old Nov 10, 2012, 11:45 PM
F3P and Sailplanes-Great!
S.E. Minnesota
Joined Jun 2007
414 Posts
Got my Chrysalis very quickly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Stackhouse View Post
That's very old news. We were having some serious problems with production and shipping, but that was months ago. We have that situation well under control now. While a little two-man shop like us doesn't have the resources to offer 12 hour shipping, we do get them out pretty quickly these days.
Don is right. My wife spoke by phone with someone at DJ Aerotech when she ordered the plane. We received it by Priority Mail less than a week after she ordered it! Service couldn't have been any faster. The materials in the kit look great, and the plans are beautifully done (down to recommending the best glue for many or most of the glue joints).

Right now I'm reading/re-reading the Club Chrysalis Build Log on RCGroups. Very interesting and very informative.

Thanks, Don for a beautiful kit and for the great service.

Ray
RayPB is offline Find More Posts by RayPB
Old Nov 11, 2012, 11:56 AM
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,501 Posts
Ray, congrats on the new kit. I think you are really going to like it. Captain Canardly, from the Minneapolis club, built one a few years ago and really liked it. He had a lipo battery incident in it which caused its demise but he liked it enough to buy 2 more. The only complaint I have ever heard about the Chrysalis is that is does not easily come down from the sky. I should be so lucky to have that problem. If you think you are going to go the granite slab route let me know and I will see what my granite guy has as leftovers on the cheap.

Hi Don, Boy you really get around RCGroups don't you.

Wayne
Old Nov 11, 2012, 12:12 PM
who has rabbit ears down
Joined Jan 2007
3,631 Posts
Pretty close to truth Wayne!
first was a brushed motor driven by 3 s, then swapped to brushless, and handed TX to out of experience pilot! it was too slippery for him! not enough time to recover from inverted= 30 ft
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: One printer running!
Old Nov 11, 2012, 12:34 PM
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,501 Posts
Hmmm, for some reason I remembered charring in the post mortum pictures. You know what they say, the mind is the first thing to go. Johnny, so what's this I hear you are moving again? How are you ever going t get any building done if you keep moving? I hope this move will get you settled, you have really been bouncing around lately, hopefully you will get a little calm and routine for a while.

Wayne
Old Nov 11, 2012, 04:31 PM
who has rabbit ears down
Joined Jan 2007
3,631 Posts
All moves till now have been cancelled- that's why I've been careful choosing projects- surrounded by boxes- pic in a tad o time-meanwhile- had a visit @ 1300 today @ ist floor, and looking like I can test Chryss's in front yard- puppy freindly- great layout too- across hall to storage- balsa probably-2nd bedroom can seperate comp table and build desk with 6 '!--edit--
yes, you are correct remembering charring pic- that was my first raw electric build!
http://www.rent.com/rentals/woodbury...tments/440349/
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Captain Canardly; Nov 11, 2012 at 04:35 PM. Reason: added info
Old Nov 12, 2012, 04:43 PM
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,501 Posts
Well everyone I made it to November before I started thinking about events for next season. I know, I am a sick individual, I openly admit it. I really want to make the monthly events inviting to all pilots, new and old, so next year will see some repeats of events from this summer, We will again have an ALES event and we will have another My Fair Maiden event. No Rochester Soaring season would be complete without a springtime Rusty Thumbs event so we will be having another one of those.

So where are the new events you ask, well I have a few ideas but I would love to get input from all of you. After all I want the events to be things you all enjoy. So for now things will look something like this:

April or May:
Rusty Thumbs event. This will be a casual event utilizing the big landing circle and using an open launch format. Nothing hard core here as we will all be getting back into our grooves.
June:
My Fair Maiden event. This event will be open to all planes regardless of size or launching method. Height limiters will be set to 150M and hi-starts and OneWinches will be set to the same. It will be a man on man format like last years ALES event. E-power and string launch competing side by side. What will the neighbors think?
July:
This will be our ALES event. We had such a good time with this one we simply must do it again. Timers, spotters, landing tapes, score cards, the whole enchilada. Good times will be had by all.
Another one I am thinking about trying to have is a F3F style event, i.e. a slope event. I have been looking into this and it should be an easy event to hold. Basically it is a distance race across the front of the slope between two points, X number of laps required. Only one pilot flys at a time and the quickest time wins the round. Fly a bunch of rounds and voila, a fun day on the hill is had. An added bonus is that this format qualifies for LSF contest points so those of us working on advancing in LSF will be able to get some L2 contest points possibly even L3 depending on attendance.

Is there anything else you want to try for next year? If there is let me know and I will try to get it included. Feel free to think outside the traditional TD event box. We could have a woodie event, a 2 meter only event, or we could try to coordinate an event with the Minneapolis club, maybe a team event where teams must contain a member from each group. Don't worry Doc, Bill and Mr. Kite, we consider you one of our own.

Ray, another building board option would be a 1/4 inch thick glass shelf with ceiling tile glued to one side. Gives you a pinable surface on one side and a flat, smooth surface on the other. An added bonus here is that epoxy and glue spills can easily be scrapped off the glass side and you have a nice surface for cutting covering.

JohnyDXYZ, Were you able to get your BoT flyable again? Mine is coming along and will be ready to fly this spring. It is going to have a e-power plant in it and still keep the tow hook so I will be able to fly it it either way, string launch or e-power.

Wayne
Last edited by Windependence; Nov 12, 2012 at 07:43 PM.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 07:38 PM
SE Minnesota
Joined May 2009
250 Posts
Ray, another building board option would be a 1/4 inch thick glass shelf with ceiling tile glued to one side. Gives you a pinable surface on one side and a flat, smooth surface on the other. An added bonus here is that epoxy and glue spills can easily be scrapped off the glass side and you have a nice surface for cutting covering.

JohnyDXYZ, Were you able to get your BoT flyable again? Mine is coming along and will be ready to fly this spring. It is going to have a e-power plant in it and still keep the tow hook so I will be able to fly it it either way, string launch or e-power.

Regarding the glass...I've got a huge double pane leaker that I replaced this summer...if I can figure out a way to cut it, it may be a good source for flat build platforms for a number of us. I'll work on it.

Nothing beyond a few inspections on the BOT. I know it's fixable but may have to wait for a few other projects to be finished. Thanks for your concern
JOHNNYDXYZ is offline Find More Posts by JOHNNYDXYZ
Old Nov 13, 2012, 01:21 PM
Joined Mar 2011
45 Posts
I went slope soaring last Saturday at the Kalmar Dam, this time the wind was Southerly. Not exactly straight into the dam but good enough for the most part. It was really windy at times. Flew the DAW 1.5m 1-26 that I fixed up. So much better to fly a plane with ailerons in such gusty conditions, you really have to be quick on the controls at times. The last two times I launched the plane I thought it was too windy to penetrate but turms out my old battery had died. Luckliy it didn't land in the lake.
ScienceGuyOrg is offline Find More Posts by ScienceGuyOrg
Old Nov 16, 2012, 11:33 AM
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,501 Posts
Flight report

Yesterday I had the afternoon off and was able to get out for a little stick time. Ray was able to join me and we headed out to the Marion Rd field. It was a lovely day, low 50's, 5-7 mpg winds from the NW. We got out to the field around 1:15 and I began to setup the OneWinch while Ray started to assemble his Mirage. I had brought my Art Hobby Thermic for the day. So once I got the OneWinch ready to go I went to get the Thermic ready and while I was snugging down the wing bolt the screw head snapped off. Ah, no big deal I will go get my extra screw from my toolbox. Long story short, I had screws for the BoT, the Pulsar, every other plane I own except for the Thermic. Don't ask me how I missed that one but I was grounded. Ray, on the other hand, was not so we took the big Mirage over to the OneWinch, hooked it up and let it rip.

The Mirage launched and flew beautifully. High, straight launches were the norm for the day. Many times I would only take 3-4 steps back and then just hold the line while the Mirage kited on up. I don't think I ever took more than 10 steps back all day. I am confident that we were getting 450'+ launches. Ray was even getting reasonable zooms. The lift was there and the Mirage and Ray were making the best of it. Ray worked on his spoiler to elevator compensation settings and he worked on doing tight thermal turns and as always, landings. We had a blast. On the way home I stopped by Ace Hardware and picked up some extra nylon wing bolts for the Thermic so I will be ready to go next time.

I might try to go out this coming Sunday afternoon. As of now the weather looks like it will be warm and windy. 15 mph South winds are being predicted and I was thinking of trying to get my 1 hour slope flight in for my LSF L2 task requirement. I would need a witness so if any one of you might be available on Sunday let me know. Of course we all know that the weather on Sunday might not be what they are predicting it to be but please keep it in mind.

Wayne