HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 23, 2012, 02:25 PM
Making wood fly since 2007
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,500 Posts
All Comers Event report

Read the following italicized text using your best film noir monologue voice.

I awoke to the sound of dried leaves rustling on the trees. Never a good sound to hear first thing in the morning when a TD event is planned. It had been cloudy all night the although the immanent threat of rain had passed, drizzle still threatened. What a way to start the first day of fall. The temperature overnight had dropped to the low 40's and the thought of bare fingers on the transmitter sticks sounded uncomfortable at best. I thought of simply calling it off, but that thought was quickly purged from my head. After all this is Minnesota and we are from hearty stock, right?

Ok, Ok, enough with the low budget, black and white film script. So it is true that my first glance at the day was less than ideal for a thermal duration event. It was brisk, 42 degrees and it was windy, an steady 15 mph wind was blowing from the N,NW and was gusting higher. Thoughts of backwards flying Risers and Radians filled my mind. It did appear that backup plan B, slope event, was going to be a very real possibility. I arrived at the field around 9:30 to set out hi-starts and landing tapes, in the event that TD might still be possible, but upon exiting my car the wind almost blew the door shut on my leg. At that point the decision was made, no TD event today. After donning my coat and gloves I began to wait for my fellow pilots, those hearty, or foolish, enough to venture out on such a day.

A few people did show up and at around 10:45 it was unanimously decided to go give the slope a try. A 5 minute drive later we sized up the slope, Ray broke out his Windrider Bee and I retrieved my trusty 2M Riser from the car and we made the brief walk to the top of the slope. George had his Radian along but he wanted to wait and see what the conditions were like before taking the plunge. Once at the summit , OK its really a grassy berm at best, Ray was the first in the air and after a couple of downward launches had the Bee flying very nicely. Ray explored the lift band, as this was a new slope to all of us, and we were all very suprised to see how large it was compared to previous slope sites. After a little while Ray came in and I took a deep breath and flung the mighty Riser into the gale. Alright, I know there wasn't gale force winds, think of it as artistic license. The Riser did a fine job. It was obvious that it needed a little more weight but I was able to handle that as I had more lead with me. After a few more flights George decided that he would give it a go with his Radian. So back down to the car to get it and back up to the summit to fly.

George had never successfully slope soared before this and I can truthfully say we may have created a monster here. George loved this, as did we all. It was a real hoot to watch the Radian fly and see the wings flex as the wind hit it. At one point we were coaching George down and he had the Radian about 12 inches off the grass and he still struggled to get it on the ground. It cruised probably half the length of the slope before he could comfortably get it into the grass. We all laughed as the Radian refused to touch the ground.

As the day wore on the clouds cover broke up and the sun started to shine a little more, a welcomed change indeed. One notable flight happened while I was flying. I was out exploring the lift band and we were all very surprised just how far out and up it went. I was out in it when Goerge and Ray both commented on just how high I was. I was indeed higher than had been seen on most of the other flights and about that time we all came to the realization that the Riser was in some lift. Well actually it was serious lift, boomer lift, hat sucker lift!! The Riser was getting small very quickly and, not wanting to get blown back over the hill really high up, I deployed full spoilers. Now it took a few seconds for my brain to come to the realization that the Riser was still going up with full spoilers, granted not nearly as fast but still up. I figured that I had slowed the ascension rate enough that I would not need to do anything more drastic and I was right. I flew for probably a good minute with the spoilers fully deployed hoping the hat sucker would pass and it did. The corresponding sink pushed me back down into the lift band almost as fast. Boy what a ride.

There were only three pilots and one visitor foolosh, uhh I mean hearty enough to venture out to this event but we really did have a good time, and the best part was that everyone went home with an undamaged plane. You can't really ask for more than that.

Wayne
Windependence is offline Find More Posts by Windependence
Last edited by Windependence; Sep 23, 2012 at 02:36 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 23, 2012, 03:06 PM
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,500 Posts
Oh yes before I forget, Ray will hereby be dubbed Rochester Soaring's very own aerobatic expert. He shall wear this honorable title due to the multiple successful loops he was able to do on the slope and for his "spiral of death" dive. Now he claims that the spiral of death dive was due to a loss of orientation against the cloudy grey background but we all know better. Between launching his Mirage, last months ALES launching loop, and the Bee on the slope he has more loops and spins than anyone else here. I will try to make up a button or a sticker for him to wear at future events.

Wayne
Last edited by Windependence; Sep 23, 2012 at 05:22 PM.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 03:03 PM
Joined Mar 2011
44 Posts
I must have gotten to the slope after everyone had left, I had fun flying the Skeeter HL there.

I flew my Radian Pro at 5:00 p.m. yesterday and did not land until 5:30 p.m. One nice gentle thermal and a couple of times I passed through lift. Between a few climbs to altitude and some thermal help you really can drag a flight out. Still had battery left when I landed.
ScienceGuyOrg is offline Find More Posts by ScienceGuyOrg
Old Oct 01, 2012, 09:57 AM
Joined Mar 2011
44 Posts
Slope Soaring Kalmar Dam

I was slope soaring the Kalmar Dam again last Saturday with my old handlaunch. This plane does alright but I want to try something more efficient with ailerons.

I created a short video of flying.

Slope Soaring Small Dam Near Rochester (0 min 24 sec)

Sunday I was thermal flying in Winona, I didn't hit any lift until about 5:15 pm and then it was zero sink. I know Dave Thornburg said there is no zero sink but I just could not get any higher but the plane stayed up for at least 5 minutes.

Bill Kuhl
Old Oct 20, 2012, 05:03 PM
Joined Mar 2011
44 Posts
Soaring 10-20-2012

I was thermal soaring my Gentle Lady today in Winona. Started about 1:30 pm and lauched steady for over an hour with almost no lift. About 2:45 pm I noticed my plane went higher on launch, yes I finally hit lift. Could have taken it really high but the plane was getting downwind so brought it back and hit lift again about 50 feet and climbed to maybe 100 feet. At this point I was circling over a parking lot next to a building so I landed.

Checked my receiver battery and launched again. Bam, right into lift again and a nice flight. Next launch found lift also. Decided I would call it enough after that.

Funny how you start to question your ability to soar at times and then there are times it is so easy. At times it does pay to be stubborn.

Bill Kuhl
Old Oct 30, 2012, 12:20 PM
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,500 Posts
I sent this information out in an email to everyone on the distribution list but wanted to post it here too for those of you not on the mailing list.

Hello everyone,

October is almost over, the leaves have all fallen, the temperature is dropping and another season of Rochester Soaring events have come to a close. I want to thank all of you who came out to the events this year. Some of you traveled quite a distance to attend the events, hopefully you will all come back next season and share the sky with us again. The best attended event was the My Fair Maiden event and unfortunately the lift decided not to attend that event. Now I know it is said that there is always lift but when 12 guys can't find lift and even Craig cannot make more than 4 minutes, you know it is bad. On the other hand the ALES event had lift a plenty. I recall contemplating having to shoot down George's Radian more than once in order to bring it back to earth. Who knows how long he might have stayed in the air.

I had some reports of personal bests, lost and recovered planes, flights over 30 minutes and one flight recorded at 1800'. We tried our hands at slope flying and had a grand time and we discovered new slopes to fly from. A few planes were crashed but most of them have been or are being repaired to fly another day. Most of us are flying 2 meter woodie or foam planes but a couple of bigger planes are making their way into our ranks. Mark's 2.5 meter Pulsar, John's BoT and Ray's Mirage all come to mind. I expect that next year will see a variety of plane sizes and that sounds like fun to me. Who knows, my Raven might even be ready to fly next year.

I would really like to get feedback from all of you as to how we can make next year better. Is there an event you would like to see repeated? Did you like the structured format of the ALES event? Would you like to have events on Sunday instead of Saturday? Let me know what you are thinking and I will try to accommodate it. Do you prefer the open launch type of event like the My Fair Maiden event or do you prefer the man on man format that we had at the ALES event? I'm listening. My first priority is for Rochester Soaring events to be fun and I hope all of you had fun this summer, I know I did.

I will keep in touch and I am going to try to have a few winter activities to help keep our thumbs limber. Remember there are thermals in the winter time, its just an issue of staying warm. Keep in touch everyone and I will see you all soon.

Wayne
Old Oct 30, 2012, 12:45 PM
Joined Mar 2011
44 Posts
Wayne, I think what your are doing is wonderful. Next year I plan to be more active in soaring. Lately I have been putting radio gear in a fiberglass 2-meter glider I purchased from someone on a SD slope soaring trip. Six servos in this plane. Also repairing Daw 1-26 1.5 meter glider for slope soaring.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 03:11 PM
F3P and Sailplanes-Great!
S.E. Minnesota
Joined Jun 2007
414 Posts
Rochester Soaring season has ended

Wayne,

This was an excellent soaring season largely due to your organizing the Rochester Soaring events. Thank you for all your hard work! I learned more about flying sailplanes by participating in Rochester Soaring events than I would have in 2 or 3 summers of just flying around on my own,

I wasn't one who lost a plane, but I did break a thing or two. I learned a lot about repairing planes as a result.

I flew my Radian Pro a couple of weeks ago, lost orientation and piled it in rather hard. I shortened the fuselage by about 3/4 inch! After buying a new fuselage and installing the servos and motor, I found that the BEC section of the ESC doesn't work. If anyone in the Rochester area has an extra Radian ESC they would like to sell for a reasonable sum, I'd appreciate a call.

Ray
RayPB is offline Find More Posts by RayPB
Old Oct 31, 2012, 04:12 PM
United States, WI, Stoddard
Joined Dec 2009
1,139 Posts
I had such a good time with you guy's this summer I'll be there next year for sure.I have lots of work to do, Mirage, Crimson C, and my slope ships.See ya then.
Wayne keep posting on the raven it's looking stunning.:
Ray your better off buying a good quality speed controller.
doc993 is offline Find More Posts by doc993
Old Oct 31, 2012, 04:45 PM
S.E. Minnesota
Joined Jun 2007
414 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc993 View Post
I had such a good time with you guy's this summer I'll be there next year for sure.I have lots of work to do, Mirage, Crimson C, and my slope ships.See ya then.
Wayne keep posting on the raven it's looking stunning.:
Ray your better off buying a good quality speed controller.
You're probably right about the ESC. The Radian/Radian Pro ESC is rated at 700ma from the BEC. This is ok for up to 3 servos (as in the 2 in the Radian) but is not enough for the Radian Pro's 6 servos. I just don't relish spending the $70 - $90 I'll need to spend for a quality ESC. Oh well, it's only money.

I suspect my losing control of my Radian Pro at our ALES event this summer(and eventually looping it) may have been due to the BEC's limitations. I was climbing at full throttle and using rudder, ailerons and elevator. I probably overloaded the BEC and had some combination of receiver fade and lack of servo response.

Always something to learn. I have been checking out the Castle Creations Phoenix ICE Lite 50 as a replacement for the ESC that came with the Radian Pro. Hopefully, it would out last the RP and be sufficient for any future projects. Any other suggestions are welcome.

Thanks,

Ray
Old Oct 31, 2012, 10:07 PM
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,500 Posts
Ray, you could always just get a CC BEC for $20 and run the Rx and servos off of that and continue to use the existing ESC. The stand alone CC BEC is rated for 10 amps and should easily run the 6 servos in the Radian Pro.

Wayne
Old Oct 31, 2012, 10:33 PM
United States, WI, Stoddard
Joined Dec 2009
1,139 Posts
Ray I have had good luck with hobby wing esc's and turnigy plush esc's. They were both reasonably priced.
doc993 is offline Find More Posts by doc993
Old Nov 01, 2012, 09:38 AM
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,500 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScienceGuyOrg View Post
Lately I have been putting radio gear in a fiberglass 2-meter glider I purchased from someone on a SD slope soaring trip. Six servos in this plane. Also repairing Daw 1-26 1.5 meter glider for slope soaring.
Hi Bill, you sound busy indeed. Get those slope planes ready because next year I am going to try to have a slope event or two. We have flyable hills here so I figure why not use them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc993 View Post
Hi Dick, Wow a Mirage, CrimsonC and some slope planes all before next spring? You are a builder on fire. I would have a hard time getting even one of those built by next spring. More power too you, get em done and bring em over, if these fly half as well as your Electra and current Crimson we will all be in for a real treat.

Right now my winter building plan is to get the Raven flyable with the Poly wing, get the crashed BoT flyable and then finish adding the spoilerons to the Art Hobby Thermic. The Raven and the Thermic will most likely be my primary string launch planes for next year. I am going to set up the BoT with e-power but I will leave the hook on it so I can fly it in string events too. I figure configured with e-power I could actually fly it over my lunch breaks. That should be enough to keep me busy this winter. If I finish all of those projects I will start on the gull wing for the Raven and get the Sig Ninja slope plane ready for Spring.

Wayne
Last edited by Windependence; Nov 01, 2012 at 09:46 AM.
Old Nov 01, 2012, 03:20 PM
Joined Mar 2011
44 Posts
Ray, sorry to hear about your Radian. The last time I flew mine I had many minutes on the battery and then launched again for a quick hop. Launched with motor off and then gave it power but it seemed glider was not controlling and it came down a little hard. No damage but I think I will not use up so much battery in the future. Was thinking you had glitches at one of the contests and thought your battery was down too far.

The picture attached is a 2-meter I bought from someone that I have no idea what plane it is. I have all 6 servos mounted now and hope to have it ready to fly pretty soon.

Also have my DAW 1-26 1.5 meter almost fixed for slope soaring. The wing was broke off and I was about ready to throw it out. Put in a good size carbon rod for a spar and it seems pretty solid.
Old Nov 04, 2012, 09:13 AM
S.E. Minnesota
Joined Jun 2007
414 Posts
ESC decision

Thanks for the input regarding my buying a new ESC.

Wayne, I am concerned about the reliability of the ESC portion of my damaged ESC. The BEC portion broke, so I'm concerned that the ESC portion might be damaged also. That makes me reluctant to add a stand alone BEC. Given the low current capability of the original Radian ESC (700 ma) and its marginal ability to drive the 6 servos on the Radian Pro, I probably should have added a stand alone BEC right after I bought the plane.

I finally made a decision yesterday. I ordered a Turnigy Plush 40 amp ESC and the programming card. The 30 amp unit is out of stock. I will complete the reassembly of my RP so all I have to do is install the ESC when it arrives. I hope the weather will permit my trying it out right away.

Ray