HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 24, 2012, 03:56 PM
who has rabbit ears down
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jan 2007
3,685 Posts
Hi Tim Yes, we did have a gas- I will link up @ One winch, and you can expound from there
Johnny
Captain Canardly is offline Find More Posts by Captain Canardly
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: One printer running!
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 24, 2012, 05:02 PM
Making wood fly since 2007
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,543 Posts
My Fair Maiden flight report

Hello everyone.

Let me start of by saying thank you to all of you who were able to attend the event. I think I can safely speak for all of us when I say it was a blast. My head count comes out at 12 pilots, by far the best turnout at a Rochester Soaring event. The event was not without its moments.

The day was cloudy with low winds and the thermals were few and far between. We were even sprinkled with rain for a few minutes but people stuck it out. Needless to say long thermal flights were not the order of the day. The event format was a ladder style event with times starting at 5 minutes and topping out at 20 minutes. I was figuring this seemed reasonable, some of the pilots would easily work the ladder up to the higher times and the newer pilots would work the low t middle times. Well, mother nature would have none of that. I think only 2 guys had flights over 5 minutes and nobody made a flight to the second ladder time of 7 minutes. Even the more experienced guys were working hard to get 4 minutes. Overcast and drizzle does not make for long flight times.

We had 3 hi-starts out and Doc's One Winch. I had really been looking forward to trying it out and I can say it is a really slick system. It launched everything we could throw at it. My Riser and Art Hobby Thermic launched higher than ever before. No doubt the One Winch launches higher than my hi-start. It only took a couple of times and I had it down and was doing solo launched no problem. We even launched the Captain's 100" canard. Now I think it can safely be said that this is a world first, launching a canard from a One Winch. If you want to see it launched go have a look at the end of the video posted a few posts back. It was at the very end. Once I can squirrel away the funds I will be getting one for myself, no Captain not a canard, a One Winch.

We had 3 accidents, 2 of which were fairly major. The first was JohnnyDXYZ and his BoT. He was doing a trim flight before the event started and the plane nosed in and was damaged beyond repair for the contest. The second oops happened to Ray while landing his Mirage. I'm not really certain what happened there but during the landing, which looked fine to me, a joint in his fuselage popped apart. When I looked at it I did not see any broken wood just an open joint. It could possibly have been field repaired but Ray had another plane to fly so he decided to to a more complete repair at home. The last accident was my BoT. The carnage of that crash can be seen on the video posted by Captain Canardly. I had done probably 3 or 4 hand throws and had the Bot flying hands off. I hooked it up to Ray's 3 meter hi-start, announced launching, and pushed it into the air. The second it left my hand it rolled hard to the left. I got on the Tx and gave right rudder to straighten it back out but it was already too far over and it caught a wing tip and went into the ground still hooked to the hi-start. It was without a doubt damaged beyond what a field repair could do. All the damaged planes will fly again.

I think you can tell from the video and pictures that we all had a really grand time. Paul even brought his daughter along and she was working the transmitter sticks as well as any of us. She is always welcome, that is until she starts to beat us. I'm sure others will fill in details I have not mentioned here.

Wayne
Windependence is offline Find More Posts by Windependence
Last edited by Windependence; Jun 24, 2012 at 06:27 PM.
Old Jun 24, 2012, 10:23 PM
SE Minnesota
Joined May 2009
250 Posts
A few Pics from the early part of the day

Wayne was really well organized:
JOHNNYDXYZ is offline Find More Posts by JOHNNYDXYZ
Old Jun 24, 2012, 11:10 PM
United States, MN, Rochester
Joined Dec 2006
42 Posts
Not the best picture but a panoramic shot of the field
kf0s is offline Find More Posts by kf0s
Old Jun 27, 2012, 09:31 AM
Joined Mar 2011
53 Posts
I see Paul Naton posted a 30 minute tutorial about getting the most out of the Radian:
Parkzone RADIAN Modification Clinic.mp4 (31 min 53 sec)

Had fun flying Saturday, I should have arrived sooner, had one really good flight with the old Skeeter HL. I flew Sunday in what would appear to be better conditions and did not get a flight as long as I had on Saturday.
ScienceGuyOrg is offline Find More Posts by ScienceGuyOrg
Old Jun 28, 2012, 12:47 PM
United States, WI, Stoddard
Joined Dec 2009
1,150 Posts
That's a great video .I'm doing similar mods to the crimson.I'm also putting the numbers into sailplane calc.This should tame the speed and make it handle better.
doc993 is online now Find More Posts by doc993
Old Jun 29, 2012, 06:28 AM
SE Minnesota
Joined May 2009
250 Posts
Anyone else get out yesterday?

After a few post-contest repairs, I stuffed a 2200 mah battery into my beat-up Radian just to see how the extra weight would affect things, and had to tape a washer onto the horizontal stab to get the COG right. Result was much better than expected, but maybe it was the huge wave of warm air washing up off the field. I stayed up for 25 minutes on 2- :30 second motor runs, and most of that was at 200 - 300 feet.
JOHNNYDXYZ is offline Find More Posts by JOHNNYDXYZ
Old Jul 20, 2012, 02:15 PM
Joined Jul 2012
1 Posts
Radian-only Contest starting @ 9AM in Farmington tomorrow 7/23.

http://www.mrcss.org/
KC0VIP is offline Find More Posts by KC0VIP
Old Jul 20, 2012, 03:03 PM
Making wood fly since 2007
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,543 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC0VIP View Post
Radian-only Contest starting @ 9AM in Farmington tomorrow 7/23.

http://www.mrcss.org/
Hi KCOVIP,

Thanks for the post, I did send out an email to everyone yesterday letting them know about your event but I forgot to post something here. Hopefully some of our e-power guys will journey up there and fly your event. I have commitments for tomorrow afternoon in Winona so I won't be able to join in the fun. Please post something back here so we can hear how the event goes.

Wayne
Windependence is offline Find More Posts by Windependence
Old Jul 20, 2012, 10:17 PM
Joined Dec 2006
42 Posts
I do plan on trying to take my Radian Pro up to the event tomorrow moringing leaving around 7:30. I may hang around for a little flying after the contest but also plan to head back home through Owatonna and stop and see the AeroTow event going on at one of the fields there.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 04:28 PM
F3P and Sailplanes-Great!
S.E. Minnesota
Joined Jun 2007
417 Posts
Radian meet cancelled

Unfortunately, the Radian meet was cancelled due to rain. I was really interested in seeing how my Radian Pro climbed compared to the Radians and Radian Pros that would have showed up. I was at this meet last year when my RP was new. I had trouble climbing and would stall out as I climbed. The Radians there could significantly out-climb me. I don't remember how the Radian Pro that was there compared with mine. After a lot of reading on the RCGroups Radian Pro thread, I decided to get a Graupner Aeronaut CAM 10 x 8 prop and an aluminum spinner. That change really increased my climb-out ability! I have been using the stock 1300 mAh 15C battery and have recently decided to get a battery with a higher C rating.

The sun finally came out an hour ago, and, since I still had my Radian Pro in the car, I drove over to the Century High School field to see how the plane performed with my new 1300 mAh 25C ThunderPower lipo. Into a 10+ mph wind, my RP climbed almost vertically! I have a Soaring Circuits CAM unit in my plane, and, for the first time, I obviously hit the 200 meter mark before the 30-second timer cut off the motor. The motor quit at about the 25 second mark, so I must have been at 200 meters at that time. The plane was definitely way up there.

The Aeronaut CAM 10 x 8 prop and 25C ThunderPower lipo are a great combination for the RP..

Ray
RayPB is offline Find More Posts by RayPB
Old Jul 21, 2012, 04:35 PM
Joined Dec 2006
42 Posts
Ray, I thought it climbed pretty close to vertical with the stock pack based on flying at the RAMS field.

I did look at the radar this morning and decided that the fly wasn't going to happen so slept in a little longer.

I don't know if they had the AeroTow but it did look like it was raining a little longer in Owatonna so decided the two hour drive there wasn't happening either. Just flying around the house today (not the aircraft variety). Glad you got out though.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 07:54 PM
S.E. Minnesota
Joined Jun 2007
417 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kf0s View Post
Ray, I thought it climbed pretty close to vertical with the stock pack based on flying at the RAMS field.

I did look at the radar this morning and decided that the fly wasn't going to happen so slept in a little longer.

I don't know if they had the AeroTow but it did look like it was raining a little longer in Owatonna so decided the two hour drive there wasn't happening either. Just flying around the house today (not the aircraft variety). Glad you got out though.
It definitely climbed well at the RAMS field event, but it climbs even better with the higher C battery. The 15C of the stock battery just barely provides enough power to drive the 10x8 prop (the 10x8 prop draws about 19 amps. the original RP/Radian prop drew only 12.5 amps).

Ray
Old Aug 06, 2012, 12:09 AM
United States, WI, Stoddard
Joined Dec 2009
1,150 Posts
Coulee Region Modeler's fly in

Hello to all my Rochester flying friends.Just thought I'd post a quick note about my clubs fly in .It is next Saturday at the Coulee Region Modelers field.We are located south of Lacrosse WI.On highway 14-61 and county mm.We have a really nice field with a 360 deg view of lots of sky, good thermals and a well mowed runway.Air craft of all type's are welcome.So If you or any one else is interested we would love to see you at our event.
I'd also like to thank every one again for showing at our last Rochester event. .Wayne did a great job of putting that together.I have now gotten very used to my cam unit, and I like it a lot .I'm looking forward to a Rochester ALES contest.I have continued refining the set up on the Crimson ,and my Electra, and have made some real progress in getting them flying very well , especially the Electra.Ray did you get your Mirage repaired?
doc993 is online now Find More Posts by doc993
Last edited by doc993; Aug 06, 2012 at 12:03 PM. Reason: Not Al, Ray
Old Aug 06, 2012, 02:09 PM
S.E. Minnesota
Joined Jun 2007
417 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc993 View Post
...Ray did you get your Mirage repaired?
Yes, I did get the Mirage repaired without problem and flew it last week. It floats really well. I am having a bit of trouble getting used to the short, 3-meter high start. I had several pop-offs. Very exciting!! I did manage to recover from each pop-off and then land without damage, but a low-level loop recovery is not what I want to do too much of in the future.

Ray