HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 20, 2012, 05:09 PM
Making wood fly since 2007
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,448 Posts
Hi JohnnyDXYZ

I'm no electric motor expert but a stock Radian 480 motor in a 3 meter plane might be a bit underwhelming in the performance area. As to the servos, some basic Hitec HS-85's would be more than enough and would not require selling the farm to get em. There are a couple of good BoT threads around here that probably have some motor setups in them you could reference. Sorry I don't have a better answer for you.

Wayne
Windependence is offline Find More Posts by Windependence
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 21, 2012, 08:14 AM
Lakeville Minnesota
Lakeville MN
Joined Oct 2008
514 Posts
I just finished skimming through this entire thread watching the vids and viewing the pics. I am getting excited about coming down to Rochester and flying with you guys this upcoming season. My last glider flight was in mid fall with the MRCSS at Jiriks, west of Farmington, and had some great thermals where several pilots clocked hour plus flights with no power involved, just thermal hopping. In May, a bunch of us from the club will make an annual trip to South Dakota for about 5 days of slope flying up in them thar hills I have not done any winter flying unfortunately, but was out at Lake Calhoun on Saturday and watched several club guys ski flying, to include the faithful Radian which got a nice 15 plus minute flight in a thermal. The next nice day I am heading out

Steve
SailingAlong is offline Find More Posts by SailingAlong
Old Mar 09, 2012, 12:24 PM
Soon to be CrashMasterPhil
Rochester MN
Joined Dec 2007
715 Posts
So when the next flying event?
divemasterphil is offline Find More Posts by divemasterphil
Old Mar 10, 2012, 12:05 PM
United States, WI, Stoddard
Joined Dec 2009
1,116 Posts
Wayne please put me down for a cam unit.
doc993 is offline Find More Posts by doc993
Old Mar 10, 2012, 05:59 PM
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,448 Posts
Hi Doc - I have you down for one.

DiveMasterPhil - The first actual event will probably be in April. Historically our first of the season event is the Rusty Thumbs event and for the past two years it has been held in May. Given the mild weather this year I am planning to move it to April. No data is set yet but keep an eye out here for impromptu gathering announcements and be sure to look over at the website. I am planning on keeping that up to date as best I can on event announcements and details. The website can be accessed at www.rochestersoaring.com It will also have announcements of events being held by the Minneapolis club.

I am also planning to hold 1 or 2 ALES events this year. This event format will really fit in here as many of the local pilots have e-powered planes. If you are not familiar with ALES then look under the sailplane threads for ALES, it recently was placed into its own thread category and has tons of useful information in it.

Sailingalong - You are welcome to join us any time. I know there a couple of the MRCSS guys who have also expressed interest in flying with us. Just remember we are a fairly new group so if you are looking for MOM, winch launched, mouldie type of contests you will be disappointed. On the other hand we have a lot of guys flying 2 meter and will have events that include hi-start launches and e-powered launches. We might even have a slope event or two depending on the weather. We are very lucky down here to have multiple places to fly slope. Now they are nothing like the hills of SD but they are very flyable and we have been known to simply shift a scheduled TD event to slope so that the event won't be canceled. I look forward to seeing you either down here or up at Jirik.

Wayne
Last edited by Windependence; Mar 10, 2012 at 06:07 PM.
Old Mar 10, 2012, 07:13 PM
Lakeville Minnesota
Lakeville MN
Joined Oct 2008
514 Posts
I am very much looking for a few trips down to where you guys fly. Right now I am recovering from a surgery so haven't been able to be out in this great weather Soon though, very soon

Steve
Old Mar 11, 2012, 06:35 PM
United States, WI, Stoddard
Joined Dec 2009
1,116 Posts
Steve get well soon! I will now try to convince some one else to go in with Wayne on the cam unit purchase as we all benefit from the discount. AELS is becoming very popular and I be leave is or will become the norm in the USA.Buy buying as a club you will get the best price on equipment.It is also a great way to maximize your field time ,you can fly string and aels in one car packing with out to much difficulty .My big thing is learning how contests are done so this summer is going to be interesting.BUY your CAM unit TODAY only----.no no. Avoid future regret and disappointment BUY YOUR CAM UNIT TODAY!LOL>
doc993 is offline Find More Posts by doc993
Old Mar 11, 2012, 07:14 PM
Lakeville Minnesota
Lakeville MN
Joined Oct 2008
514 Posts
Is there any way I can find info on the Cam you are ordering? I may just be interested in one.

Steve
Old Mar 20, 2012, 02:50 PM
SE Minnesota
Joined May 2009
250 Posts
help with v-tail mixer

I'm thinking about getting one of these:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=23575

But don't have v-tail mixing on my radio.

Would this work?
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...XHHS4&P=0#tech
JOHNNYDXYZ is offline Find More Posts by JOHNNYDXYZ
Old Mar 20, 2012, 11:00 PM
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,448 Posts
Hi Johnny,

That looks zippy. Definitely not a floater, but I am sure it will be fun. I have never used a v-tail mixer before so I cannot be much help to you there. Maybe someone else here can offer some insight into the mixer you pointed out.

How is the BoT coming along? The Raven had a little setback, I messed up when I epoxied in the wing joiner tube and ended up having to remove it. Big time PITA. But I got it out and the new one is going in.

Wayne
Old Mar 22, 2012, 07:53 AM
SE Minnesota
Joined May 2009
250 Posts
Yeah, those wing joiner tubes can be problematic. I had never done one before this BOT, but did OK with some modifications to the instructions. BOT is almost completely covered and I am now sorting out motor, servos, etc. looks like AUW should be well UNDER 4 pounds.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 08:22 PM
Soon to be CrashMasterPhil
Rochester MN
Joined Dec 2007
715 Posts
Newest Addition to the Rochester Fleet. Still waiting on a wing, hopefully tomorrow. No motor until Monday so it doesn't make a big difference but I could grab one out of a T-28 hanging in the garage. Here's what I got:

Radian Pro Parts: Fuse, Wing, Wing Tube, Canopy, Tail, Prop, Spinner, Decals and Flap Hardware
(6) HXT900 9g Servo's
OrangeRX 6ch with Satellite
Hobbypartz 1020kv Optima 480
Hobbywing 30a ESC
Turnigy Nano 3s 1300mah Battery
DX8 Radio

The Rudder came warped so a little carbon rod fixed it right up. So far the weakness of the tail is the only thing I haven't like. I suspect that other have had tail issues.
divemasterphil is offline Find More Posts by divemasterphil
Old Mar 22, 2012, 08:35 PM
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,448 Posts
Hi Dive Master,

That will be air worthy in no time at all. I know Ray also has a Radian Pro and he elected to upgrade his prop to a slightly bigger one and is very pleased with the results. Maybe he will chime in here. I know what you mean about the wiggly tail on the Radian but they seem to fly well in spite of the floppy back end. Do I have you on the Rochester Soaring mailing list? If not, send me a PM with your email address and I will make sure you get announcements via email along with here and the website.

Wayne
Old Mar 22, 2012, 11:17 PM
F3P and Sailplanes-Great!
S.E. Minnesota
Joined Jun 2007
413 Posts
Pleased with new prop and spinner

Dive Master,

As Wayne mentioned, I am very pleased with the increase in performance I have seen in my Radian Pro after installing a new spinner and prop.

My stock Radian Pro could climb at a maximum of 30 degrees on the original prop, motor and battery. Stock Radians easily out climbed it. If I tried to climb at a greater angle, it stalled and fell off to the left. Horizon Hobby sent me two replacement props, but they didn't make any difference at all.

I bought an Aeronaut CAM 10x8 folding prop and a BB 50-4-8 Aluminum Turbo Spinner from Esprit Model ( http://www.espritmodel.com ), and now my Radian Pro climbs extremely well. I haven't tried it against a Radian, but I believe it would climb at least as well. I am using the stock battery and motor.

Ray
RayPB is offline Find More Posts by RayPB
Old Mar 23, 2012, 05:05 AM
SE Minnesota
Joined May 2009
250 Posts
Is that the HobbyKing clone? (OrangeRX 6ch with Satellite) I'm thinking of getting one for another plane that will use the Dx5