HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 04, 2010, 08:49 PM
Making wood fly since 2007
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,409 Posts
Discussion
Rochester Soaring

I have started this thread so that the soaring pilots in and around southeast Minnesota have a place to come together to share experiences and information with each other and the rest of the world. I have begun coordinating a small group of interested pilots and non pilots and hopefully this thread will allow all of them to communicate more easily and more quickly. As we are all relatively new to soaring it is my hope that some of you more experienced soaring pilots out there will be willing to participate in our discussions and offer insights.

Every club starts small and we are starting here. Wish us luck, share your wisdom with us and hopefully in the near future we will be inviting all of you to come out to one of our “events”.

Wayne
Windependence is offline Find More Posts by Windependence
to remove ads between posts
Old May 04, 2010, 09:12 PM
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,409 Posts
Rusty Thumbs Event report

Saturday May 1st we had our first event of the year. It was originally planned as a TD contest but winds in excess of 20 mph forced a change of mind. So I decided to make it a slope event. I had secured access to a nice slope on some private land and decided to have a go at slope soaring. In summary; it was great. We had 3 pilots show up with planes and a few more without planes. I was there with my Riser 2M, Ray was there with his Windrider Bee flying wing and his 2 meter plane and Bill brought his super scooter slope plane and a 60" carbon/fiberglass HLG. As for spectators we had a great gallery: Paul, James, some friends of mine through work and a late arriver Mike. We also had Paul and James' kids watching from the stadium seating in the Caravan but they had access to a Kung Fu Panda video in the van so maybe they were not watching us so much.

All the pilots were there on time, we went over the site and discussed all sorts of worldly things and then headed up to the slope. Everyone helped get the planes up the hill and safely tucked into the tall grass as the pilots evaluated the conditions. Now Bill was the only one of us to ever fly a slope and while Ray and I were lamenting the possible destruction of our planes, Bill turned on his gear and threw the super scooter into the great unknown. Now everyone was in agreement that it was blowing somewhere between 20 - 30 mph and Bill was showing no fear. Bolstered by Bill's courage I added some weight to the Riser, boldly exclaimed "you build em to fly em" or something ridiculous like that, took a deep breath and threw the Riser into the wind. Up, up and away she went. It was a little rough but not nearly as bad as I was expecting. The first flight was short with a reasonable landing. I was the only balsa crunchie on the hill so I was a little more cautious than the others.

Now after seeing both me and Bill successfully fly in the wind, Ray powered up the Bee and prepared to give it a go. Now keep in mind that this is mine and Ray's maiden slope flights so nerves were shaking. I believe Bill assisted Ray with the launch while James manned the camera. It was immediately obvious that the Windrider Bee was in its true element. That wing flew beautifully. It climbed and turned wonderfully and it withstood the learning curve of a fresh new slope pilot. After about 30 minutes of great fun the Riser was out of commission due to a hard landing that broke the horizontal stab, but the other 3 planes all survived the day. Bill's HLG did sustain a little wing damage but it continued to fly even after losing 2 inches of the right wing.

Everyone had a great time. Ray let everyone try their hand at piloting the Bee, that plane is truly indestructible, and overall we flew for a couple of hours. I have included some pictures I hope you enjoy the pictures and say thanks to James for taking them.

Wayne
Last edited by Windependence; May 04, 2010 at 09:20 PM.
Old May 04, 2010, 09:54 PM
Joined Feb 2007
2 Posts
Great job guys. I hope to someday join you but my schedule has not let that happen. I am way behind on everything. I blame spring for comming to early and catching me sleeping. Jim N
jimmyjam is offline Find More Posts by jimmyjam
Old May 04, 2010, 11:50 PM
F3P and Sailplanes-Great!
S.E. Minnesota
Joined Jun 2007
413 Posts
One happy guy

I can assure you that the shot of me and my Bee is a post-flight shot. I was WAY too nervous pre-flight to smile.

I am very, very happy with how well the Bee flew, thus the smile.

Ray
RayPB is offline Find More Posts by RayPB
Old May 05, 2010, 01:11 AM
Windy City Flyer
Chi Town
Joined Jul 2004
497 Posts
Maybe you guys might want to start a thread on the clubs link? We have one for Chicago soaring.. and we are not part of a club. Just a good bunch of guys having fun!
Good luck!

Brian
Brian Kloft is online now Find More Posts by Brian Kloft
Old May 05, 2010, 01:21 AM
Joined Jan 2007
4,687 Posts
Have you ever heard of the Minnesota Radio Control Soaring Society?
prodjx is offline Find More Posts by prodjx
RCG Plus Member
Old May 05, 2010, 08:37 AM
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,409 Posts
Hi Brian, thanks for stopping by. The primary reason I started this thread here and not in the Club pages is that until you mentioned it I did not know there was a club page. But, I still believe this thread is better suited for the sailplane forum because of how I think this thread will be used. We are a group of newbies. This has been my brain child and I have only been floundering around the sky for 2 years. Almost all of us are flying beginner planes and I believe there will be a lot of sailplane questions asked here and this is a better venue to get them answered. If, after some time, it turns out to be more chit chat and "club" conversation I will request a moderator move it to the club pages.

Hi Prodjx, Yes I am familiar with MRCSS. I have had the opportunity to fly with them over the past 2 years. They are a very organized club in Minnesota. My only issue with them is that their flying locations are a bit of a drive from us down here in SE Minnesota. Their closest site is 65 miles away and their other sites are up to 100 miles away. I am willing to drive that distance once and a while but not for your average weekend or after work flying. I have been in contact with their president and they are more than willing to help us become an AMA club and they are even willing to post any events we may have on their website. They have been very helpful to us. I think it would be fun to have team events with them. Pair up one of us and one of them into teams, the master and student so to speak. I have lots of ideas so we will see what comes of them.

Wayne
Old May 05, 2010, 08:51 PM
low'n'slow is the way to go
United States, MN
Joined Sep 2008
734 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windependence View Post
Hi Brian, thanks for stopping by. The primary reason I started this thread here and not in the Club pages is that until you mentioned it I did not know there was a club page. But, I still believe this thread is better suited for the sailplane forum because of how I think this thread will be used. We are a group of newbies. This has been my brain child and I have only been floundering around the sky for 2 years. Almost all of us are flying beginner planes and I believe there will be a lot of sailplane questions asked here and this is a better venue to get them answered. If, after some time, it turns out to be more chit chat and "club" conversation I will request a moderator move it to the club pages.

Hi Prodjx, Yes I am familiar with MRCSS. I have had the opportunity to fly with them over the past 2 years. They are a very organized club in Minnesota. My only issue with them is that their flying locations are a bit of a drive from us down here in SE Minnesota. Their closest site is 65 miles away and their other sites are up to 100 miles away. I am willing to drive that distance once and a while but not for your average weekend or after work flying. I have been in contact with their president and they are more than willing to help us become an AMA club and they are even willing to post any events we may have on their website. They have been very helpful to us. I think it would be fun to have team events with them. Pair up one of us and one of them into teams, the master and student so to speak. I have lots of ideas so we will see what comes of them.

Wayne
VERY COOL!

i knew there had to be more flyers in the area but i guess ive never found any untill last year. very cool to see the local area starting to liven up as far as rc flying(well this is the first ive seen it as im 16) this type of thing makes me want to get into sloping but ive learned that high winds dont mix with flying rc planes so id have to rethink that. im currently planning on buying something along the lines of a parkzone trojan or corsair, but im on a kite kick right now with all this wind weve been having lately

o btw. i really do want to get a parkzone radian for thermalling, and learning soaring more but i feel that its more important and will "grow my skills" more to go with a 4ch plane

Mike, from winona
DeepEastKilla is offline Find More Posts by DeepEastKilla
Last edited by DeepEastKilla; May 05, 2010 at 09:05 PM.
Old May 05, 2010, 10:34 PM
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,409 Posts
Hi Mike, I am glad you found us here. I had always been told the same as you regarding wind and rc, kind of like oil and water, but last Saturday really changed my mind. I always figured that Winona would have great slopes for soaring but I think most, if not all of them, are heavily covered with trees. As to the Radian vs. an aileron plane issue, there are others here on RCGroups much more qualified than I am to discuss the differences but let me just say that everything I have read about the Radian is good. You can't go wrong getting one for soaring.

Keep your eyes open here as I will be posting information about future gatherings. I am also going to try to organize a weekly or biweekly evening fly at one of the fields we have permission to fly from. I know the lift is not very good in the evenings but some air time is always better than none.

Wayne
Old May 06, 2010, 06:19 AM
Crashasaurus Dumbthumus
USA, MN, Apple Valley
Joined Dec 2008
1,498 Posts
I'll have to try and make it down there one of these days. Kind of a hike though from Apple Valley. Not many areas to slope around the Twin Cities.
road_rascal is offline Find More Posts by road_rascal
Old May 06, 2010, 01:32 PM
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,409 Posts
Hi Road Rascal,

We would love to have you come down someday. There is a flyer here in Rochester that knows of a nice slope in the Northfield area, I will try to find out if it is a public access slope or a private one and get the information to you. Northfield is only 20 - 30 minutes south of you I think.

Wayne
Old May 06, 2010, 01:58 PM
who has rabbit ears down
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jan 2007
3,516 Posts
Hi Wayne! long time since we've talked!
I have rejoined the MRCSS, AMA # still intact with 124903, and now for the mentions of Radians:
May 29, MRCSS has a Radian 'man on man' total one bird competition, May 22 is the Builder's challenge- "opener" 'ceptenfer's the fellas going to South Dakota for some sloping this weekend.
i have a new post (finally) at my blog- just doin' what come natural! More later, johnny
Captain Canardly is offline Find More Posts by Captain Canardly
RCG Plus Member
Old May 06, 2010, 04:33 PM
low'n'slow is the way to go
United States, MN
Joined Sep 2008
734 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windependence View Post
Hi Mike, I am glad you found us here. I had always been told the same as you regarding wind and rc, kind of like oil and water, but last Saturday really changed my mind. I always figured that Winona would have great slopes for soaring but I think most, if not all of them, are heavily covered with trees. As to the Radian vs. an aileron plane issue, there are others here on RCGroups much more qualified than I am to discuss the differences but let me just say that everything I have read about the Radian is good. You can't go wrong getting one for soaring.

Keep your eyes open here as I will be posting information about future gatherings. I am also going to try to organize a weekly or biweekly evening fly at one of the fields we have permission to fly from. I know the lift is not very good in the evenings but some air time is always better than none.

Wayne
yea i know what you mean. bill and i were just talking about how there just HAS to be at least one good hill out of all of them that we could find to use for sloping. i do feel like i should get myself a semi sporty 4ch but i think if i do get a dedicated gliding bird it will be the radian. ive really heard nothing but good, well except maybe that it glides so great you need to have a LONG landing strip but im not sure if thats really a negative : ) i currently really only have a multiplex easystar as far as planes go but ive only caught one thermal with her and it was a very good experience. it was amazing to see the plane climbing so fast with almost no power from my throttle input. i really do like gliding a lot but ive never really owned any semi sporty planes either. but back on subject theres got to be a way to find some slopein sites in the winona area. ill try google earth but im not sure what results ill yield from it.

o btw, off topic but i did get my ama membership a month or so ago, im still not sure what the status off the winona club is tho.
DeepEastKilla is offline Find More Posts by DeepEastKilla
Old May 06, 2010, 07:31 PM
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,409 Posts
Take a look at Google Earth and install the earth plug in. It allow you to apply the satellite image over a topographical map to see terrain changes. You get images like this. It is how I have been locating possible slope sites around me. And yes, I am planning to try that site.

Wayne
Old May 06, 2010, 10:16 PM
Crashasaurus Dumbthumus
USA, MN, Apple Valley
Joined Dec 2008
1,498 Posts
I've been wanting to get out to barn Bluff for awhile now. It's a nice walk to the top.
road_rascal is offline Find More Posts by road_rascal