HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by aerophilia, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old May 04, 2010, 10:03 AM
building building building!
Melbourne Australia
Joined Jun 2006
5,158 Posts
Discussion
Time to write

Ok, I'm obviously not much of a blogger. I've been on RC Groups for nearly 4 years now, and this is my third entry Words and me have never been great together. In primary school, I once did a book review on a Charlie Brown comic book. No kidding. I guess that's why I ended up being a photographer. Funny how life works.

Anyways, I'm starting this series of posts as a kind of therapy of sorts. My dad is having an almighty battle with cancer at the moment. Chemo stopped a couple of weeks ago because it wasn't working. Dad's positivity even at this stage is pretty incredible. He believes he can fight it off, I hope he is right.

So, I should do some talking about Rc planes. Dad was a member of an RC club when I was around 12 years old for a few years. I didn't really get it back then. So never really got involved that much. A couple of years ago I thought it would be a nice idea to make dad a trainer type plane out of foam that he could re-learn flying on and we could enjoy the hobby together. I built him a BluBaby from Tony65x55 plans. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=681556 Through engine upgrades, working out deans plugs/batteries, moving house, life etc etc, it didn't see much airtime. The rudder got broken one day and was stashed away somewhere safe while he started to learn to fly real planes!

The last time dad came to my place he gave me a set of floats he had made a looooong time ago. I thought, cool, I'm sure I can find something to put these on.

A week ago I visited dad for the first time in about a month (he lives about 2 and1/2 hours drive away). It was a very emotional day for me. During the day I had a brainwave. What a great idea it would be to fix the Blu Baby that I had made, and attach the floats that he had made so many years ago. And get that plane flying off the dam at his farm. For some reason the symbolism of flying a plane that we have both had a part in making is quite powerful to me.

Here are some pics of where I am at. I'll "blog" more soon
aerophilia is online now Find More Posts by aerophilia
to remove ads between posts
Old May 07, 2010, 10:31 PM
building building building!
Melbourne Australia
Joined Jun 2006
5,158 Posts
Well I got a phone call from Mum Thursday afternoon saying I should come up and see Dad. It was now the time to talk to Dad before it was too late. There was a lot of crying, which funnily enough made everyone feel a lot better. I'm glad I came. I've learnt a lot about Dad in the last 2 days and so glad we talked about the things we did. Now that all that hard stuff is out of the way it's great to just be able to sit and spend time with him when he is awake, and enjoy it. It's really important to me to have this time with dad filled with good memories. Honesty and truth are good for the soul.

Now, I know you're all wondering how the plane is. It flies beautifully!! Managed to put the last few bits on the floats up at Mum and Dads place and we flew it late yesterday. Tracked on the water incredibly straight. Was beautiful to watch once it got up on step. Landings are a little tricky as the floats don't extend very far past the front of the fuse. Nose overs are pretty easy. But it self rights itself which is very lucky. I have a few pics and a video to upload when I get home tonight.

Getting this plane in the air with Dad watching was incredibly satisfying. It's been a wonderful couple of days.

Love you Dad.
aerophilia is online now Find More Posts by aerophilia