HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 03, 2010, 08:27 PM
USA, PA, York
Joined Jan 2006
41 Posts
Careful!
Blaster II Blade Failure

Has anyone had the tip blade fail on there Blaster II ?
I let Brian Padovini fly my Blaster II around.
I would say his warm-up throws where in the 150-175 range.
Then I told him to throw it as hard as he wanted , well my Blaster
has no tip blade left on it ,he pulled it right off the plane.
The plane is ok (so is Brian ) just Bladeless, Iím going to Install
a new blade and give it back to him for more testing.

Troy
Troy388 is offline Find More Posts by Troy388
to remove ads between posts
Old May 03, 2010, 08:31 PM
hass-alfed and bass-ackwards
United States, AZ, Chandler
Joined Jun 2008
5,282 Posts
Wholy Carp!!!

carlsoti is offline Find More Posts by carlsoti
Old May 03, 2010, 08:42 PM
Guz
Gutless wonder
Tempe, AZ
Joined Dec 2005
3,132 Posts
I do believe that is the first time I have read about a Blaster blade being ripped out on throw .
Guz is offline Find More Posts by Guz
Old May 03, 2010, 09:32 PM
hass-alfed and bass-ackwards
United States, AZ, Chandler
Joined Jun 2008
5,282 Posts
Troy, FWIW, at the IHLGF, I heard people talking about blowing up this bullet-proof wing and that, and it usually boiled down to a technical error, which is even more likely to happen when you're trying to "force" that extra 10 feet or so. I don't know either of you, so don't take it as a slam that you have bad form, but do you think it's possible there was an extra wrist snap or something that caused the break? I'm curious because I tend to lack a smooth technique, especially when I'm tired or flying poorly. If I can figure out a way to be smoother, I'd like to practice it. (A few extra feet on launch, without making stupid grunting noises wouldn't be that bad, either.)
carlsoti is offline Find More Posts by carlsoti
Old May 03, 2010, 10:19 PM
Hey was that a Thermal ????
Joined Nov 2009
2,448 Posts
Brian is very smooth and yet very powerful. Brian is not a small guy and he has been working very hard on his flexibility and increasing his torso speed so he can let his arm lag back.

I do however know exactly what you are talking about. There are quite a few folks who believe they are destroying planes because their launch is so powerful, it is actually poor technique that is killing planes.

I shot some high speed photos of Brian at the York contest, there is a lot of power there and still pretty smooth.
The_Builder is offline Find More Posts by The_Builder
Old May 04, 2010, 02:00 AM
Throw it like you hate it
United States, CA, Castro Valley
Joined Apr 2007
3,060 Posts
i want your friend to throw for me in my next contest...i have tried to break my blaster on launch and it doest even flinch. i know others that are twice as powerful as me, and have NEVER pulled a blade out of the wing.

show us some pictures of the damage. i want to see how and where it failed. this is a first for me.
paul
RCPC is offline Find More Posts by RCPC
RCG Plus Member
Old May 04, 2010, 06:36 AM
But I am learning
USA, MD, Cumberland
Joined Apr 2008
1,047 Posts
Troy is correct, there is no damage to the wing itself. I actually broke the upper and lower finger pads of the blade right where they attach to the wing. Before others claim that it failed because I slipped a finger, not true. I failed both top and bottom equally. Keep in mind that this plane still went over 180' on this launch. We heard a "pop" just at the moment of release, and I saw something flutter back to earth from about 10' high. I flew out the launch, and after landing, noticed part of the blade was missing. After a quick look around in the field, I found the top half of the throwing blade. Troy’s pictures can show the details.

Brian P.
I_Can't_Fly is offline Find More Posts by I_Can't_Fly
RCG Plus Member
Old May 04, 2010, 10:11 AM
USA, PA, York
Joined Jan 2006
41 Posts
I will get the pictures posted after work today

Troy
Old May 04, 2010, 10:24 AM
Father of Fr3aK, DLG Pilot
USA, OH, Worthington
Joined May 2002
6,592 Posts
Wow. Gavin has broken every part of the blaster except the blade. I am suspecting that you've maybe found a bad one or maybe it got dinged somewhere along the way. I flew a blaster all weekend at the IHLGF and was absolutely wailing on it at times. I know Gavin was trying to hurt his as well.

I'd love to see the pics as I've never heard of a blade failure either. It will be interesting to see what let go and how.

***I was thinking the blade was the only part of the B2 that COULDN'T be broken***
tom43004 is offline Find More Posts by tom43004
Old May 04, 2010, 12:11 PM
G_T
Joined Apr 2009
5,681 Posts
So they probably decided that part was overbuilt

Sorry, couldn't resist!

Gerald
G_T is online now Find More Posts by G_T
Old May 04, 2010, 12:17 PM
But I am learning
USA, MD, Cumberland
Joined Apr 2008
1,047 Posts
I agree Tom, this wing has been well flown by Troy. So some previous stresses could have been the underlying culprit.

Just a side note:
Contrary to some belief, the Blaster blade is not solid carbon. It appears to be molded with an outer skin of carbon, and filled with a microballons epoxy like mixture. It still took some force to create this failure.

Brian P.
I_Can't_Fly is offline Find More Posts by I_Can't_Fly
RCG Plus Member
Old May 04, 2010, 02:21 PM
United States, CA, Lake Elsinore
Joined Feb 2004
364 Posts
I would bet that the blade was damaged either by a dorked landing, shipping, or hangar rash. No way a blaster blade could be pulled out by launch. I have tried very hard, folded plenty of blaster stabs throwing too hard, peg is bulletproof!

Paul
Flyboypaul is online now Find More Posts by Flyboypaul
Old May 04, 2010, 07:51 PM
USA, PA, York
Joined Jan 2006
41 Posts
Iíve been flying this blaster for about 3 years, the reason I let Brian throw it was he was throwing his homebrew bagged plane higher than I could get my Blaster. His plane was also making more noise on launch than mine.
I had Brian throwing/Flying while I watched and listened.

pictures show that the L.E. and T.E are split , and the skins where pushed apart. I think the bond started to failed on the inside between the upper and lower skins first where the filler is/was?
This would allow the blade to split open up from the inside and fold outwards ,causing the damage to the wing tip as it folded and pulled away.

What Iíve learned from this is, Donít let Brian near you plane

Troy
Old May 04, 2010, 07:53 PM
USA, PA, York
Joined Jan 2006
41 Posts
OK, were did my Pictures go?
Old May 04, 2010, 07:58 PM
USA, PA, York
Joined Jan 2006