HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 01, 2010, 01:52 PM
Can you DS it??
Australia, NSW, Berowra
Joined Aug 2008
1,420 Posts
I think I just found an anomaly with the 11x programming. I can't seem to find a way to turn Aileron to Flap mixing off. In the DSX9, it used to live with the butterfly mix.

Thing is, I like to have all my flaps and aileron to flap mixing programmed onto my throttle stick (it's a glider). I assign the butterfly switch to turn the throttle stick on and off, so all I'm left with is the ailerons operating as per normal. With the programming as it is, the aileron to flap mixing stays on no matter what.

Any ideas?

Leo
spotterone is offline Find More Posts by spotterone
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 01, 2010, 03:33 PM
Joined Mar 2003
3,036 Posts
When do you want to have the mixing off? On landing approach? Isn't there programming for having the throttle stick action turn off the flap mixing at a certain point?

Clay
ClayH is offline Find More Posts by ClayH
Old Jul 01, 2010, 03:33 PM
Eggcellent...
United States, CA, Orange
Joined Oct 2006
2,435 Posts
Assign a PMIX that mixes it out, then you can assign that to the butterfly switch or a stick switch...the latter is the approach I took with the 12X (my preference is to not have to throw a switch for landing flaps).

Tom
tewatson is offline Find More Posts by tewatson
Old Jul 01, 2010, 07:22 PM
Joined Oct 2003
1,810 Posts
Leo,
Send me an email address and I will send you a glider program that shuts the mix off below 1/2 stick. Larry
Larry Jolly is online now Find More Posts by Larry Jolly
Old Jul 01, 2010, 09:25 PM
Can you DS it??
Australia, NSW, Berowra
Joined Aug 2008
1,420 Posts
Thanks for the replies!

My preference is to have a switch that turns butterfly and aileron to flap mixing off so that the plane is in "normal" mode whereby the flaps are made inactive.

The planes I wish to do this on are DS ships, and having the flaps move just represents more drag. At very high speeds, very little aileron movement is required, so flaps are not necessary. At landing speeds, the plane needs as much flap as possible to slow these heavily ballasted planes down, and no amount of aileron deflection is enough to make them turn safely. My previous mixes used to raise the appropriate flap all the way back up to help the plane turn!

I've worked out how to turn it off at a predefined throttle point, but there are 2 reasons for wanting it locked out. Firstly, at the speed that DS planes go, you often have to "react" very quickly, and I find that sometimes I move the throttle stick away from "flaps up". It very rarely goes below half throttle, but you never know. Secondly, the landing zones are usually very tight, so I find myself modulating the flaps quite a lot on landing, and therefore want as much resolution as possible. I usually set my planes up with only a very small deadband for that reason.

I have worked out a way to do it in the programmable mixes, but the offsets are wrong.

Just seems strange that it worked so well in the DSX9, but it has taken a backwards step in the 11x!

Thanks,

Leo
spotterone is offline Find More Posts by spotterone
Old Jul 02, 2010, 12:47 AM
Will fly for food
Bellevue WA,
Joined Dec 2003
6,859 Posts
Just an update on my possible problem with the programming in the sailplane side of the software. I have confirmed that the aero side of the program works correctly. My Sukhoi with twin elevator servos works and trims correctly, however in the sailplane side (my Lunak) assingning dual elevator servos and reversing one of them (same as the Sukhoi) the elevator servos move in opposite directions with the elevator trim. I contacted JR on Monday and spoke with a tech who asked all the perameters and said he would get back to me as soon as he could determine if he could replicate the problem. I called back Wednesday and spoke with another tech who left a message with the first tech and I have not heard anything back yet. I have a reversing y-harness that I'm going to install for the interim. This should be interesting to see how long it takes to get a program update available to fix this issue, if in fact it is an issue.
davidjensen is offline Find More Posts by davidjensen
Old Jul 03, 2010, 12:06 AM
Joined Jan 2006
10 Posts
Firmware Update

I have an update on my firmware update problem. It appears the 11x is very sensitive to the brand of SD card that is used and how it is formatted. My working configuration now is using a Lexar brand card formatted using FAT. That now enables me to read/write to it and to complete the upgrade process. I have now tried 8 different brands and I have only found 2 to work. The Lexar and a Kodak SD card. I had to format both using FAT (rather than the more typical FAT32) to get the 11x to recognize the upgrade file. FAT32 will work to read/write but surprisingly not to do the firmware update. Also an incompatible SD card has another issue. If you insert (an incompatible) card and turn the Tx on, it will take about 5 seconds to boot up. (Error checking?) A compatible card (or no card) will boot instantly. I think it would help if everyone post their working SD card configuration (both to read/write and to upgrade). Others may work (I suspect name brand cards are important as all of the off brands I've tried will not work, though they work fine in cameras and your computer.)
Thomasec is offline Find More Posts by Thomasec
Old Jul 03, 2010, 11:35 AM
Will fly for food
Bellevue WA,
Joined Dec 2003
6,859 Posts
Horizon Hobbies told me the available update has the fix for my situation. I will try to install the update today.
davidjensen is offline Find More Posts by davidjensen
Old Jul 04, 2010, 06:51 PM
United States, CA, Davis
Joined Oct 2006
242 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomasec View Post
I think it would help if everyone post their working SD card configuration (both to read/write and to upgrade). Others may work (I suspect name brand cards are important as all of the off brands I've tried will not work, though they work fine in cameras and your computer.)
I can confirm that an 8Gb, FAT32 formatted SDHC (level 6, I think) from Transcend works fine, both transferring files and updating the software.
jpherit is online now Find More Posts by jpherit
Old Jul 04, 2010, 11:22 PM
LSF303 / AMA Life Member
USA, IL, Wheeling
Joined Jan 2003
3,123 Posts
I bought a 2 GB "photo" SD card from Walgreens, $7.99 and it works fine in my 11X.

tk
tkallev is offline Find More Posts by tkallev
Old Jul 05, 2010, 05:23 PM
Dallas, TX
Joined Aug 2004
154 Posts
SD Card

Gents,

My experience with SD cards is that cards < 64 megs seem to work the best for me. The files are very small 10 - 12 K so you can load thousands of settings on an old 8 meg card.

When you set up the file system per the manual one more folder must be created for the individual glider files to reside in, MODEL

Larry provided this hierarchy to me earlier today .

Here is the exact file structure for the file to upload to the radio:

JR
MODEL
ELF_MSTR.JRX

This is what I have on my Canon 32 Megabyte SD memory card. All must be capitalized.

Barry
Blaster is offline Find More Posts by Blaster
Old Jul 07, 2010, 01:38 AM
JWs are Shear Fun!
USA
Joined Sep 2008
2,674 Posts
Did JR redesign the stick tension mechanism for the 11x? On every JR 9303 I pick up has a squeaky and gritty stick feel from a shoulder pin that backs out of its hole and rubs on a metal plate on the gimbal assembly.

Also, are the stylistic angled trim buttons funky to operate on the 11x? The design of the shell and the angled trim buttons looks a bit fruity.

The new programming interface sounds great, although I do fine with the old one.
Aerogance is online now Find More Posts by Aerogance
Old Jul 07, 2010, 10:37 AM
Sherman Knight
Kirkland Washington
Joined Feb 2002
916 Posts
Which stick and which direction are you talking about? The throttle (flap) stick has a much smother feel than the 9303, but that it an adjustment issue in the radio. You can make the 9303 feel the same way. The metal plate is adjustable. The new sticks are dual ball bearing (From what I have read, but I have not opened the transmitter to verify) so that my be part of the issue here. In addition, the stick height in the 11x and the 9303 differ slightly.

The trim buttons are angled and positioned differently pon the 11x. Seemed strange at first, but I got used to them quickly.

Hope this is useful.

Sherman Knight
duworm is online now Find More Posts by duworm
Old Jul 07, 2010, 10:56 AM
JWs are Shear Fun!
USA
Joined Sep 2008
2,674 Posts
I presume you can adjust stick height on the 11x like the 9303.

The sticky issue with the 9303 is most often on the right stick while using elevator. There is a small metal pin pushed into a plastic hole. The purpose of the pin is to ride along a spring-loaded plastic lever to generate the effect of spring tension. This metal pin works its way out of it hole and the tip of the pin rubs agains a metal plate on the gimbal assembly. If you dissassemble the TX case, you can use a small screwdriver to push the pin back into place, but it won't stay for long. I have tried putting a dot of glue at the base to hold it but everything is lubed up too much for glue to adhear. My only gripe with the 9303. I don't feel like pulling mine apart to take a photo, but next time it is apart I will shoot a photo. Hope this clears it up. Tons of people have the sticky stick issue, it is relatively easy to fix if you don't mind the labor.
Aerogance is online now Find More Posts by Aerogance
Old Jul 07, 2010, 11:03 AM
Sherman Knight
Kirkland Washington
Joined Feb 2002
916 Posts
Interesting, never had the problem myself. Never seen or heard of the probme either. I would recommend sending it into Jr for a checkup.

Stick height is adjusted the same way.

Sherman
duworm is online now Find More Posts by duworm