Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Mar 05, 2013, 02:15 PM
Lincoln, NE
Joined May 2005
870 Posts
I hope Target will excuse me for interpreting his message. What he is referring to is the LANDING MODE menu in the Function List. IMO, the menu is misnamed. It is not a mode in the normal sense. It is a collection of mixes that use the same controller device. On JR's 12X, it is called the Brake System. The actual spoiler-to-elevator mix is on page 3 of the menu.

Another scheme occurred to me. It requires about the same number of mixes as the one using the ailerons for the spoilers but this scheme may be more understandable and it gives more spoiler travel. With a six-channel receiver in GLID, you will have to inhibit one or more of the primary stick channels and reassign it to the spoiler. I assume you were planing on using one of the aileron channels for your rudder so you can have both rudder and elevator control on the right stick. If you do that, the unused aileron channel will be off limits. Also, I would assume you don't want to use a Y-connector for the dual spoilers. You will have to inhibit the flap and the normal rudder channels for your spoilers. You have no other channels available.

When doing the initial setup, make sure the DUAL-FLAP is INH. In the DeviceSEL, you may or may not want to use flight modes. In the menu, set up the GEAR channel for your motor control, inhibit the [OUT] for the other channels. Verify that the [DEVICE] for AUX2 is the FLAP ST if you want to use the stick for your spoilers. The device selected for AUX2 is the controller for the LANDING MODE menu whether or not AUX2 is active or inhibited.

Mating the rudder channel to your spoiler will require a bit of programming. Start off by inhibiting the rudder trim. First, make sure that you have no rudder trim in any mode as the next step will lock the trim in place. Check the rudder trim on page two of the MONITOR menu is zero for all modes. Then in the System list's TRIM SYSTEM menu, set the rudder trim to zero.

In a NORMAL program mix, set RUD+ -> RUDD. When you select the rudder for the master channel, you have the option of selecting what functions included with the master channel will be transferred to the slave channel. Pick all of the options. Set both POS0 rates to -100%. Now verify on the MONITOR that the rudder doesn't change with rudder stick, trim, or any other mixes to it.

Prepare the FLAP channel as a spoiler. In the DeviceSEL, you should have the FLAP [OUT] inhibited. In the Function List's SUB TRIM menu, set the flap subtrim to zero.

Now set up two more NORMAL program mixes, one AUX2 -> RUDD and the other AUX2 -> FLAP. Set both POS0 rates to +100%. You can use the flap stick to select the upper and lower rates. Now if you haven't changed the default LANDING MODE menu, on the MONITOR, as you move the flap stick, the rudder and flap channels will move between -100% and +100%. These are your spoiler channels.

As you don't want the flap stick controlling the spoilers and your motor at the same time, you will have to do some changing of the LANDING MODE menu. In the menu's SEL SW submenu, set up the switch conditions you want for your landing flight mode. Back on the first page set the SPOILER POS0 rate to zero and verify its POS1 rate is +100%. It is not necessary but to be on the safe side, set both FLAP rates to zero. On page 2, verify that the flaperon rates for POS0 and POS1are zero for both P-O and P-C.

On page 3 is the spoiler to elevator mix. This mix can be either a CURVE or a NORMAL mix. To make it a normal mix, simply verify the POS0 OUT setting for P-O and P-C are zero. Select the POS0 and change it to POS1. Change the P-O setting to an appropriate number. If you want a curve mix, use the stick to add additional points to the curve. As you move the stick, in the lower left corner of the screen an ADD message will appear. When it is present and you press the lower key to the left of the screen, a point will be added to the curve. You can add five additional points between the spoiler closed (P-C) and open (P-O) positions.

Make certain that the TRIM IN is inhibited. The 11X manual doesn't describe what this does. Download the DSX11 manual from http://www.macgregor.co.uk/rchome.htm , page 72, for a explanation. The DSX11 is the 11X version sold to rest of the world. When the TRIM IN is activated, the elevator trim lever doesn't change the elevator trim but changes the P-O curve setting instead.

Allan
AWorrest is offline Find More Posts by AWorrest
Last edited by AWorrest; Mar 05, 2013 at 02:24 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 06, 2013, 09:55 AM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,331 Posts
Yep, that is what I meant by my short post.
Based on all of the above I would certainly go with a higher channel Rx count to make life simple.
Still, its great to have guys like Allan that can give you a work around to your situations.
Thanks Allan!

R,
Target
target is offline Find More Posts by target
Old Mar 06, 2013, 08:39 PM
United States, VA, Franconia
Joined Sep 2010
1,804 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by target View Post
Yep, that is what I meant by my short post.
Based on all of the above I would certainly go with a higher channel Rx count to make life simple.
Still, its great to have guys like Allan that can give you a work around to your situations.
Thanks Allan!

R,
Target
There's no denying that Allen is a GREAT asset to the community.

I had no idea doing dual spoilers would be so complicated! When I started, and then shelved this project last year I was trying to do it with a DX6i! Now I remember why I gave it up, that idea (most likely) would never have worked.

Thanks for the programming walkthrough Alan. I feel bad about it but now I'm actually considering just getting the ar7010.. that would give me AUX2 and make things simpler. For what it's worth, I have another plane that needs a receiver so at some point soon I'll be buying one anyhow.
smoothvirus is offline Find More Posts by smoothvirus
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: The FAA unleashes the Banhammer
Old Mar 09, 2013, 02:33 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,331 Posts
For your own sanity, I would definitely get a 7 channel Rx if you need to buy one anyhow.
That is the logical choice.
G/L either way.

R,
Target
target is offline Find More Posts by target
Old Mar 09, 2013, 08:48 PM
Lincoln, NE
Joined May 2005
870 Posts
If GLID programming is used, the receiver should be capable of having Preset failsafe on the channel the motor is assigned to. Smart failsafe is fine for ACRO where the motor is always on the first channel. In GLID programming, the motor will never be on the first channel. The AR7010 gives you the choice of either Smart or Preset. The later models of the AR7000 also had it but Spektrum never mentioned it in the instructions.

Allan
AWorrest is offline Find More Posts by AWorrest
Old Mar 12, 2013, 01:04 AM
United States, VA, Franconia
Joined Sep 2010
1,804 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWorrest View Post
Select the POS0 and change it to POS1.
This was the crucial step I kept missing. I kept looking at the RES model I programmed last year and the spoiler-elevator mix was there but I couldn't understand where it was. You have to switch ELEV to POS1 to see it in page 3 of the LANDING MODE menu.
smoothvirus is offline Find More Posts by smoothvirus
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: The FAA unleashes the Banhammer
Old Oct 16, 2013, 11:33 PM
San Diego
Joined Oct 2006
570 Posts
Help! For some reason the landing gear retract is not working on the set up of my latest sailplane that I am taking to the Fall Aerotow in Visalia tomorrow. The servo and linkage tested good on a servo driver, the gear is assigned to the gear switch on the device page and it is selected to ACT. The switch does nothing. The switch does show movement on the monitor page. Assigned AUX 5 to the gear switch and plugged the gear into AUX 5 and still the switch does nothing. I am out of ideas...

Thanks,

Aaron
Aaron Wallace is offline Find More Posts by Aaron Wallace
Old Oct 16, 2013, 11:59 PM
Modesto CA
Joined Nov 2009
162 Posts
Aaron:
What retract servo are you using?
If it is the JR 791 It won't work at over 5 volts.
Works fine in the servo tester with only 4 cells. No response with a 5 cell RX battery.
Mac
Mac37 is offline Find More Posts by Mac37
Old Oct 17, 2013, 12:23 AM
San Diego
Joined Oct 2006
570 Posts
Mac,

I am using A123s. I am checking which servo it now...

Aaron
Old Oct 17, 2013, 12:28 AM
San Diego
Joined Oct 2006
570 Posts
JR NES 4721... I may indeed need a voltage regulator. How do I find out? Maybe I can find the voltage requirement on Horizon's website.

Aaron
Old Oct 17, 2013, 12:34 AM
I want to believe
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2002
921 Posts
Easy enough to test, just plug in a 4 cell battery to the Rx and give the retract a try!
mdine1us is offline Find More Posts by mdine1us
Old Oct 17, 2013, 12:41 AM
San Diego
Joined Oct 2006
570 Posts
Thanks Marty! I will give that a try.
And thanks for checking this thread too.
What a guy! I got most of the programming done. Just need the elevator comp for the spoilers and the wheel brake mix to the spoilers.

Aaron
Old Oct 17, 2013, 12:58 AM
San Diego
Joined Oct 2006
570 Posts
Geeeze, the only 4cell pack that I have is in my Evolution!

Aaron
Old Oct 17, 2013, 02:03 AM
San Diego
Joined Oct 2006
570 Posts
The specs for the JR NES 4721 show specs for both 4.8V and 6.0V. So I assume that means I do not need a regulator. I am using a JR R1222X receiver that, if I understand correctly needs 6.0-10.0V.

Aaron
Old Oct 17, 2013, 02:59 AM
Never fly an A model anything!
Antarctica
Joined Apr 2008
4,919 Posts
Hey Aaron did you start with a fresh assignment of a model or did you write over an old model in your TX.

I have had similar issues. I find it best to properly erase an old model by going into a model that is NOT the one you intend to erase. Then switch off the TX and go through the erase menu then select the model you want to erase. I know it seems convoluted but I am sure that it is a safety logic....somehow. Try that and I'll bet a beer that it works.
jayb1rdz is offline Find More Posts by jayb1rdz