SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 20, 2010, 07:44 PM
Colorado Springs, CO
Joined Sep 2004
89 Posts
So does anyone have one of these babies in their hands yet?? I'm anxious to hear all about it.

Chris Keller
Colorado Springs, CO
Gldrpilot is offline Find More Posts by Gldrpilot
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 20, 2010, 09:04 PM
United States, CA, Davis
Joined Oct 2006
238 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gldrpilot View Post
So does anyone have one of these babies in their hands yet?? I'm anxious to hear all about it.

Chris Keller
Colorado Springs, CO
I got mine a day ago. I have just started to program it for a full house sailplane. Some very nice features, but I am still learning how to do things so I would hesitate to give details lest I misrepresent the true functionality. Definitely has a lot of nice extensions and organizational improvements to the JR 9303 programming pardigm.
jpherit is online now Find More Posts by jpherit
Old Jun 20, 2010, 09:23 PM
United States, CA, Folsom
Joined Jul 2007
2,518 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpherit View Post
I got mine a day ago. I have just started to program it for a full house sailplane. Some very nice features, but I am still learning how to do things so I would hesitate to give details lest I misrepresent the true functionality. Definitely has a lot of nice extensions and organizational improvements to the JR 9303 programming pardigm.
Jonathan,
I'll be at SVSS Friday for setup, and can show you some of the nice additions to the programming.
JT
jtlsf5 is offline Find More Posts by jtlsf5
Old Jun 21, 2010, 02:43 PM
United States, CA, Davis
Joined Oct 2006
238 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtlsf5 View Post
Jonathan,
I'll be at SVSS Friday for setup, and can show you some of the nice additions to the programming.
JT
JT,

I'll bring it.

Jon
jpherit is online now Find More Posts by jpherit
Old Jun 21, 2010, 10:34 PM
Vista, CA
Joined Jan 2004
208 Posts
I set up a v tail 2m Image and a Zenith 3.7 on my 11x over the weekend. They were both previously on a 12x. From what I have seen, for sailplanes, the 11x can do anything a 12x can do except control the 12th channel. And it can do some things the 12x would struggle with and is slightly easier to program. The 12x is already ridiculously easy for me to program. (Maybe it just matches my thought patterns)

Below are some features that really made an impression on me. I don't have the radio with me at the moment to help me remember everything.

New features on the 11x that are not on the 12x:

Switch selection - just move the switch to select it. You can still search through the list if you want to, but if you are not sure what it is called, just move it and that switch is selected, plus you find out what it is called.

Landing mode - you can create 2 completely independent landing modes that are switch selectable (same as 12x). Elevator compensation is similar to the 9303 with a nice graphical interface. Landing mode flaperon movement has an identical interface with the same type of multipoint curve available. (Very nice)

Servo travel limit - you can set an absolute limit for travel in each direction for every channel. This prevents the servo from moving past the limit regardless of what any mixing may be telling it do. If your plane needs this, you can't live without it.

Being able to go back and forth between the function list and the system list is really wonderful when first setting up a model. No more turning the radio off just to get to the system list. The transmitter feels good in my relatively small hands, but then so does the 12x. It is a lot lighter than the 12x though. I think anyone coming from a 9303 will be much more impressed than I was coming from a 12x. I have never owned a 9303 but did program one for someone once and although it is a good radio, the 12x was definitely a step forward in most areas. The 11x continues in the same direction where the 12x left off.

By far the most important feature for me though is the ability to update the software without sending the unit anywhere. I have already downloaded the first upgrade which only affects the 3 or 4 of us in this country that still fly v tails. It was so easy that even I was able to do it. It is done with an SD card similar to saving or downloading model memories.

I will be flying with it at SVSS this weekend for anyone that wants to see it in person.

Rick
rshelby is offline Find More Posts by rshelby
Old Jun 25, 2010, 10:39 PM
Joined Oct 2003
1,788 Posts
I have beeen flying the 11X for some time and find it a very capable sailplane system.
I can offer a program for the Explorer and Ava Pro for anyone who wants a known program to start with. I can email them to you, and you can download them to an SD card , then load them in to your tranny. Just check the servo plug ins on the RX, leave the Tx in Normal mode, zero the subtrims and fly. Let me know if I can help you. Please write me at ljolly@aol.com. LJ
Explorer program will be a good start for most 4 servo wing competition models.
Larry Jolly is offline Find More Posts by Larry Jolly
Old Jun 26, 2010, 12:49 AM
Will fly for food
Bellevue WA,
Joined Dec 2003
6,727 Posts
I just received my 11X today. First impression - I may have made a big mistake purchasing this radio with out holding it in my hands first off. It does not fit in my hands like the 9303/9503/12x. It feels clumbsey and moving the stick all the way around feels awkward compaired to the 9303. The relationship between the holding edges of the 9303 and the new 11X are very different. The camber sliders on both sides are very difficult to get to unless you take your thumbs off the stick. The f-mod switch is also more difficult to get to compaired to the 9303/9503/12x. The two sliders positioned on the back side are the real problem. Why would you put them there? The 9303 and the futaba radios have the sliders positioned so you can move them with out affecting your thumb on the stick. This radio will take some getting use to. The radio is very light and has a plastic apearance. The throttle trim lever feels very "light duty" but I'm sure it will be OK. The manual is very limited in its explanations and it has several mistakes refering to menu items that don't exist. The programing menus in the sailplane section look great and well thought out. The landing mode menu is a real improvement. I had 5 models initially set up in less than an hour. It took me just 15 minutes to program a 12 servo Lunak with an 8 servo wing and 2 elevator servos. I need to read the manual more and play with it with a plane on the bench to understand its capabilities.
davidjensen is offline Find More Posts by davidjensen
Old Jun 27, 2010, 08:15 PM
Will fly for food
Bellevue WA,
Joined Dec 2003
6,727 Posts
SASS (Seattle Area Soaring Society) had a club contest on Saturday with most of the US and Canadain F3J team memebers present. I had my 11X and there was another one there as well. Neither one was used however EVERYONE thought this radio is not as usefull for sailplane use due to the slider placement. EVERYONE was dumbfounded when they realized where the sliders were. Today I got my first chance to fly with the radio at an aerotow event. I was able to setup 2 1/4 scale sailplanes in minutes but I did have to rearange the servo plug placement in the receivers. One of the features is dual servo assignments and you can select the aux channel for it. The Lunak has 2 elevator serovs so the radio labels the elev channel as right elevator and aux 3 as left elevator. I had to reverse the direction of aux 3 and the two servo's work in unison. Great, NOT. The elevator trim moves the two servo's in opposite directions. Thats right the right elevator goes up when trimed up but the left elevator goes down? I will call JR tech support tomorrow and see if there is something I missed in the set up or is this something that will require an update using the SD card slot. The Lunak's spoilers were on the right slider and the flaps are on the throttle stick. Each time I tried to deploy the spoilers I had to fumble around the back side of the transmitter to find the lever. I'm thinking I'm going to have to build some type of lever extension and glue it to the slider levers so they can be used more effectively.
davidjensen is offline Find More Posts by davidjensen
Last edited by davidjensen; Jun 27, 2010 at 10:24 PM.
Old Jun 27, 2010, 09:12 PM
Joined Oct 2003
1,788 Posts
David,
The slider thing is a personal deal, I know several people who really love the slider position. From a practical stand point I use the slider in only one circumstance and with the camber program most don't use it at all. Arend Borst from the Canadian F3J team will be using the 11X at the worlds. I used mine to win the Gene Hayes RES contest at ISS today. I am not surprised you got a cool response from the US F3J Team they are all sponsored by Airtronics. There may be a bug with the dual elevator and there is also a bug on elevator trim for the vtail option. Horizon has an update file to use with the SD card. Mike Lee flew my model today and commented on the feel of the gimbals. For those that have been flying a 9303 or a 12X you do have to check that you swap Left Flap, Right Flap on the Rx. But you will find that it is pretty comparable to transfer values from your current set-up to an 11X. Sorry you don't think the radio will be useful for soaring. I am of the other opinion, I predict it will become the dominant radio for serious sailplane competitiors. LJ
Larry Jolly is offline Find More Posts by Larry Jolly
Old Jun 28, 2010, 09:34 AM
Eggcellent...
United States, CA, Orange
Joined Oct 2006
2,429 Posts
I got to check out Rick Shelby's 11X for a few minutes in Sacramento this past weekend, and the "feel" of holding the radio and reaching/using the sliders will take some getting used to, after all this time with the 9303/12X side sliders. Is this a deal-breaker? No, and there are indeed some excellent programming changes from the 12X that should prove useful to us.

Will plan on meeting up with Larry in the near future to get a closer look.

Tom
tewatson is online now Find More Posts by tewatson
Old Jun 28, 2010, 12:37 PM
United States, CA, Folsom
Joined Jul 2007
2,518 Posts
I have to agree with Tom. The sliders are in an unusual position, but with properly tuned flight modes I turn the sliders off on my 9303 and 12X. No reason to think the 11X would be any different. Yes, the plusses significantly outweigh this little ergonomic change. Like anything new, it should be tested in real time and given a chance before making a final decision as to utility.

JT
jtlsf5 is offline Find More Posts by jtlsf5
Old Jun 28, 2010, 01:16 PM
No substitute for aspect ratio
Norwalk, CT aka the Nutmeg State -- I just can't seem to find any %$#@! nutmeg here?
Joined Nov 2003
2,260 Posts
I'm hoping there is a large brown box from Horizon sitting in the foyer when I get home tonight. I'm looking foward to putting this radio to work!

Larry -- I will shoot you a note for your programs.
SPasierb is offline Find More Posts by SPasierb
Old Jun 28, 2010, 01:29 PM
LSF303 / AMA Life Member
USA, IL, Wheeling
Joined Jan 2003
3,113 Posts
Steve,

Do yourself a favor and set up your models without copying someone else's programs. You will learn the radio that much faster.

tk
tkallev is offline Find More Posts by tkallev
Old Jun 28, 2010, 01:38 PM
No substitute for aspect ratio
Norwalk, CT aka the Nutmeg State -- I just can't seem to find any %$#@! nutmeg here?
Joined Nov 2003
2,260 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkallev View Post
Steve,

Do yourself a favor and set up your models without copying someone else's programs. You will learn the radio that much faster.

tk

I'm being nosey and want to see what Larry did -- it's for insight, not being a slacker. I have no fear of the radio nor JR programming whatsoever. I have two 9303's full of everything from my scale sailplanes and large warbirds to DLG's and indoor stuff.
SPasierb is offline Find More Posts by SPasierb
Old Jun 28, 2010, 05:41 PM
LSF303 / AMA Life Member
USA, IL, Wheeling
Joined Jan 2003
3,113 Posts

Thought that might be the case

tk
tkallev is offline Find More Posts by tkallev