HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 17, 2010, 06:08 PM
So. Calif.
Joined Nov 2008
464 Posts
Thanks, me too, considering what went wrong I was lucky that there was no damage. I can't wait to get back out there and hone my skills a little more....I might mention that while we were out there two different people came all the way across the field just to say that the plane is one of the most beautiful they had ever seen and asked me about the details...one fellow had a piper cub he was flying out there and he also came over and said this one is way above his class and asked me where to get one. I might also mention that this Thrust 40 motor with the VOX T-40 prop makes a very interesting purring sound...I like it.

I wonder if some of you more PA experienced flyers doing those great videos, could share with us nubies what settings for low/rate high/rate you are using on your transmitters, ie, what degree throws for low up/down and what expo settings....are they the same as the ones in the book or have you made some fine tuning that gives you such good control over the bird???? I don't know if the new 5085 digital servos were part of the responsiveness, but I was really surprised how such small stick movements made the plane respond.
sylifis is offline Find More Posts by sylifis
Last edited by sylifis; Nov 17, 2010 at 06:27 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 17, 2010, 07:36 PM
Joined Apr 2007
1,174 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsbauman View Post
Well not matter which version yall are using, I am extreemly confident in its strength after watching all the Malaysian Mafia videos over the last few years! You guys can really put put a load on these airplanes and they seem to hold up to all the huckin' just fine
The airframes hold up really well to abuse in the air, literally handle anything you can throw at them. I think thats due to the fact that the planes are light, which reduces the load on the airframe when you pull high G's
MalaysianFlyer is offline Find More Posts by MalaysianFlyer
Old Nov 18, 2010, 10:02 AM
Joined Apr 2007
1,174 Posts
Hitman just posted a pic of the ADX next to the MX, its going to shock a lot of people at the field when they realise one flies on 6S, and the other one just 3S LOL

http://malaysia-rc.com/index.php?top...1801#msg401801
MalaysianFlyer is offline Find More Posts by MalaysianFlyer
Old Nov 18, 2010, 05:49 PM
RC Mafia: The Hit is on
Joined Oct 2006
830 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtwargo View Post
Finally managed to watch your video. Great stuff, Michael. Awesome flying -Looks like a really really fun plane

Dire Straits with Mark Knopfler. YES!!! Best guitarist ever. Watching Sultans of Swing played life is one thing one needs to experience before going 6 feet under
Burger Thing is offline Find More Posts by Burger Thing
Old Nov 19, 2010, 06:46 AM
Fly to live- Live to fly
ROTA-CADIZ-SPAIN
Joined Jan 2008
1,015 Posts
[QUOTE=Burger Thing;16588377]Finally managed to watch your video. Great stuff, Michael. Awesome flying -Looks like a really really fun plane

Dire Straits with Mark Knopfler. YES!!! Best guitarist ever. Watching Sultans of Swing...
.... not too bad, friend Knopfler, one of the best, but what about Carlos Santana or Raimundo Amador ?. They´re also second to none., http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X81iX...eature=related
RAIMUNDO AMADOR & B.B.KING "Gitano de temporá" (3 min 42 sec)

Best regards buddies.
Manolo.
ultimatetwo is offline Find More Posts by ultimatetwo
Old Nov 19, 2010, 07:03 AM
It's All About Having Fun!
Joined Jul 2008
336 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sylifis View Post
Thanks, me too, considering what went wrong I was lucky that there was no damage. I can't wait to get back out there and hone my skills a little more....I might mention that while we were out there two different people came all the way across the field just to say that the plane is one of the most beautiful they had ever seen and asked me about the details...one fellow had a piper cub he was flying out there and he also came over and said this one is way above his class and asked me where to get one. I might also mention that this Thrust 40 motor with the VOX T-40 prop makes a very interesting purring sound...I like it.

I wonder if some of you more PA experienced flyers doing those great videos, could share with us nubies what settings for low/rate high/rate you are using on your transmitters, ie, what degree throws for low up/down and what expo settings....are they the same as the ones in the book or have you made some fine tuning that gives you such good control over the bird???? I don't know if the new 5085 digital servos were part of the responsiveness, but I was really surprised how such small stick movements made the plane respond.
Hi Sylifis

Yes, follow the respective deflection rates as per the manual. As for the expo, IMHO, this is personal to each flyers flying comfort and style. Some of my flying buddies are on expo ranging from 0 to 40 and this.

Hope this helps.

P/S Thanks for sharing your wife's tips about the pull pull in your earlier post
The Hitman is offline Find More Posts by The Hitman
Old Nov 19, 2010, 07:57 AM
Eastern MA
Joined May 2007
34 Posts
Resonant vibration

Even with the prop perfectly balanced, every plane I own with a prop larger than an 11 has a very pronounced resonant vibration at a specific RPM and load. The Addy-X included. Slo-Fly props seem to reduce this effect. The sound is very un-nerving. Not that it will, but my fear is that the plane will shake itself apart so I react by getting off the throttle. I’m thinking about trying to balance the entire rotating assembly (Prop, spinner, adapter, bell)

Has anyone been able to greatly reduce or eliminate this effect by some means?
IFlyFullScale is offline Find More Posts by IFlyFullScale
Old Nov 19, 2010, 08:34 AM
Huntsville, AL.
Joined Jul 2008
536 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IFlyFullScale View Post
Even with the prop perfectly balanced, every plane I own with a prop larger than an 11 has a very pronounced resonant vibration at a specific RPM and load. The Addy-X included. Slo-Fly props seem to reduce this effect. The sound is very un-nerving. Not that it will, but my fear is that the plane will shake itself apart so I react by getting off the throttle. I’m thinking about trying to balance the entire rotating assembly (Prop, spinner, adapter, bell)

Has anyone been able to greatly reduce or eliminate this effect by some means?
Eliminate the sound? That is one of the coolest sounds especially during knife edge spins
I don't think there is anything to worry about as far as vibrating anything apart. Balancing the prop is about as far as I would go(actually with the wood props I don't even bother with that). But IMO it's more of a drum effect during certain gyroscopic loads and I doubt you would ever get rid of it completely.
J Charles is offline Find More Posts by J Charles
Old Nov 19, 2010, 08:35 AM
PA Team Pilot
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Oct 2008
1,374 Posts
[QUOTE=ultimatetwo;16592267]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burger Thing View Post
Finally managed to watch your video. Great stuff, Michael. Awesome flying -Looks like a really really fun plane

Dire Straits with Mark Knopfler. YES!!! Best guitarist ever. Watching Sultans of Swing...
.... not too bad, friend Knopfler, one of the best, but what about Carlos Santana or Raimundo Amador ?. They´re also second to none., http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X81iX...eature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGY6VjjyTgs
Best regards buddies.
Manolo.
mtwargo is offline Find More Posts by mtwargo
Old Nov 19, 2010, 08:37 AM
PA Team Pilot
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Oct 2008
1,374 Posts
Yes... All great guitarists... There are too many to mention. I am a straight ahead Jazz fan. Some of you know this, but I am a Jaz Pianist, and have been performing since 16. I have gotten to perform with many jazz legends... Joe Pass is my favorite guitarist, and I got the pleasure of performing with him and Les Paul... guys like that. FYI
mtwargo is offline Find More Posts by mtwargo
Old Nov 19, 2010, 08:46 AM
Panama
Joined Jul 2005
3,463 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Charles View Post
Eliminate the sound? That is one of the coolest sounds especially during knife edge spins
I don't think there is anything to worry about as far as vibrating anything apart. Balancing the prop is about as far as I would go(actually with the wood props I don't even bother with that). But IMO it's more of a drum effect during certain gyroscopic loads and I doubt you would ever get rid of it completely.
+1 the sound that the prop makes while KE spinning is like music to my ears I can tell you that the Vox wood props are a lot more quiet than APC props, anyway, one thing to consider is that with electrics you hear the prop noise, because there is no motor noise....
aerofundan is offline Find More Posts by aerofundan
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 19, 2010, 09:05 AM
Panama
Joined Jul 2005
3,463 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sylifis View Post

Adjust the throws / expo to your like, on all my planes on 3D rates i'm using 60 - 70% of expo, low rates, i'm close to the recommended low rates throw and probably about 30% expo!.

Daniel
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 19, 2010, 09:15 AM
Panama
Joined Jul 2005
3,463 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Charles View Post
Cool! Is the video about done yet?

LOL almost!, well i maidened my ADX a few days ago, everything went perfect! now going to finally fly it a lot this weekend, and if all goes well will start shooting vid soon I had forgotten how easy it is to fly, its almost like cheating! everyone that sees the purple in person comments how GOOD it looks!, to be honest i really think the pics don't show it right! i will try to get some good pics of it.

Daniel
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 19, 2010, 09:19 AM
So. Calif.
Joined Nov 2008
464 Posts
Thanks for the inputs regarding the expo...will try a couple of variations to see how it handles.
sylifis is offline Find More Posts by sylifis
Old Nov 19, 2010, 02:56 PM
Huntsville, AL.
Joined Jul 2008
536 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerofundan View Post
LOL almost!, well i maidened my ADX a few days ago, everything went perfect! now going to finally fly it a lot this weekend, and if all goes well will start shooting vid soon I had forgotten how easy it is to fly, its almost like cheating! everyone that sees the purple in person comments how GOOD it looks!, to be honest i really think the pics don't show it right! i will try to get some good pics of it.

Daniel
I can't wait to see you put the Addy x through its paces

J Charles is offline Find More Posts by J Charles