SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 27, 2013, 11:44 PM
I'd rather be flying..
South Africa, WC, Cape Town
Joined Jul 2009
213 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerofundan View Post
Although make sure to use at least a normal or even better a heavy duty extension!!! don't use parkflyer style extension on the esc because remember it is the one that provides all the power to the rx and servos! hope this helps
cool, thanks - will make sure I get a decent lead..

An update on my elevator / aileron issue. I checked the tx stick movement indicators and it's clear from that that this where the issue is coming from. I can see the aileron movement if there is even the slightest off-center movment on the stick when I move the elevator and it's the same on all my planes. The gimbles were upgraded some time back by the suppliers so maybe what is happening is actually acceptable and as it's been said, due to the large control surfaces it's just much more apparent on this plane. If I move the elevator and there's no deviation from the vertical centre on the stick the ailerons don't move. I think I can set the expo up which may help but how will this affect the fly characteristics of the plane?
Casllab is offline Find More Posts by Casllab
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 28, 2013, 12:34 AM
Precision Aerobatics Team
South Africa, GP, Randburg
Joined Dec 2006
1,969 Posts
70% expo is great on high rates. (The closer the curve is to horizontal at the centre, the less response you will have close to the neutral position)
demonGti is offline Find More Posts by demonGti
Old Jan 28, 2013, 01:14 AM
I'd rather be flying..
Joined Jul 2009
213 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonGti View Post
70% expo is great on high rates. (The closer the curve is to horizontal at the centre, the less response you will have close to the neutral position)
I already have the expo set to +75% and there's still some aileron deviation so I'm wondering if what I'm seeing is acceptable. Surely others here must have a DX7 on mode 2 ??
Old Jan 28, 2013, 02:36 AM
I'd rather be flying..
Joined Jul 2009
213 Posts
I think I just found the cause - the tension on the stick spring needs tightening, seems its quite a common thing afterall and is easily fixed. Cool!!! Gonna try it tonight. I'm almost a very happy camper..
Old Jan 28, 2013, 09:30 AM
Panama
Joined Jul 2005
3,478 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casllab View Post
I think I just found the cause - the tension on the stick spring needs tightening, seems its quite a common thing afterall and is easily fixed. Cool!!! Gonna try it tonight. I'm almost a very happy camper..
I think it would be interesting if there is any chance there is anyone close to you that has the same radio so you can make a comparison! as for spring tension, i can tell you i run very loose spring tension on my radio and i have no problems with elevator/aileron interaction around center. If there is any chance you can take your radio to a hobby shop or to a flying club for someone else to check, because it really doesnt seem normal to me.....
aerofundan is offline Find More Posts by aerofundan
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 28, 2013, 11:18 AM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,315 Posts
I also like it loose.

It just sounds as if your thumbs are not moving on a straight axis and are accidentally deviating and inadvertently causing other control surfaces to move.
As Dan said, a side to side comparison could be helpful, or is there a local experienced pilot that might try your radio.
bsbauman is offline Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My New Workshop
Old Jan 28, 2013, 12:47 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,315 Posts
Is anyone else trying CF props on the Thrust 40 motor?

I am trying this one later this week when the weather clears. It is 14x7 as well, I am so excited to see the numbers...

Appears very thin and stiff.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 28, 2013, 08:31 PM
Gravity is a cruel mistress...
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Mar 2011
724 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsbauman View Post

I am trying this one later this week when the weather clears. It is 14x7 as well, I am so excited to see the numbers...

Interesting, looking forward to the results.
Blucross is offline Find More Posts by Blucross
Old Jan 28, 2013, 11:24 PM
I'd rather be flying..
Joined Jul 2009
213 Posts
Quote:
I think it would be interesting if there is any chance there is anyone close to you that has the same radio so you can make a comparison! as for spring tension, i can tell you i run very loose spring tension on my radio and i have no problems with elevator/aileron interaction around center. If there is any chance you can take your radio to a hobby shop or to a flying club for someone else to check, because it really doesnt seem normal to me.....
I tightened the springs a bit last night and the issue is no longer. The sticks are a bit stiffer but not something that I think will be a problem. I've seen some guys at my club that have the same radio, when I see them again I'll ask if I can compare theirs to mine.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 04:37 AM
Fly Till You Die
United States, WA, Battle Ground
Joined Sep 2009
372 Posts
Quote:

I tried that Aero Model prop and it was worthless no thrust at all. It would wind up good but didn't appear to have enough surface area or pitch.
You will find out. Can't beat the T40-X, plus wood is safer if you accidently hit yourself with the propellor.
p91304 is offline Find More Posts by p91304
Old Jan 29, 2013, 04:45 AM
Fly Till You Die
Joined Sep 2009
372 Posts
Quote:
I like to fly with two fingers and very light spring tension too.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:06 AM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,315 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by p91304 View Post
I tried that Aero Model prop and it was worthless no thrust at all. It would wind up good but didn't appear to have enough surface area or pitch.
You will find out. Can't beat the T40-X, plus wood is safer if you accidently hit yourself with the propellor.
Dang... will fly this weekend, but now with realistic expectations
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 02, 2013, 03:09 AM
Fly Till You Die
Joined Sep 2009
372 Posts
Help Videos

Precision Aerobatics Wheel Axles (6 min 1 sec)

Precision Aerobatics Addiction linkage (2 min 46 sec)
Old Feb 02, 2013, 11:32 AM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,386 Posts
Interesting video but I'm totally distracted by the small museum in the background there... nice collection
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Feb 04, 2013, 10:12 PM
Fly Till You Die
Joined Sep 2009
372 Posts
Quote:
Dang... will fly this weekend, but now with realistic expectations
Did you try that CF propellor? I was wondering about your opinion of it.