HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 17, 2011, 05:21 AM
Keith
Australia, New South Wales, Newcastle
Joined Apr 2011
337 Posts
RTL Failsafe

Your controller failsafe is set by your RX, to setup your failsafe you will need to know the procedure set by the manufacturer. I have a DX6I and AR6200 RX and no matter what I do to the RX it will not set the RTL mode. It works on throttle position but will not set the switch position. This from what I have read is not unusual as some others have gotten theirs to work.

Read up on the manual for your RX and this should tell you if you are able to set the failsafe, and if possible how.

Funnily enough I have just returned my Chainlink LRS to BEVRC as it was only getting a range of 300-400 meters before going into failsafe after this distance. I had a flight recently where it went into failsafe and in the process of trying to RTL the motor went full throttle causing my SW to nose dive overstressing the wing and crashing. I believe this issue was a mixture of the RX making the motor go open channel ie 70 amp draw and the FY21 not being able to the sudden nose down attitude from the full throttle with full up elevator which caused a wing failure. Here's the video:

Sywalker crash - broken wing (7 min 21 sec)

Quote:
Originally Posted by toeickris View Post
hi, I just use fy-21ap and works great until now.

but I don't know about failsafe...

as far as i know, I just set TX/RX failsafe[throttle 40%]...and I don't think I did anything the fy-21ap.

so in case of out of reach, will fy-21ap set the plane RTH situation?

or do I miss some assinging set-up?

and is there anyway I can check RTH is operating on the ground?

just turn off the TX, the motor is spinning...but just that way, i plugged fy-21ap...so i am worried failsafe assinging. thanks.
basadia is offline Find More Posts by basadia
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 17, 2011, 08:18 PM
Joined Jan 2006
193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by octane81 View Post
So guys , im having the DX6i and after some reading I find that this transmitter is no good for the FY21AP, as I need two 3-way switches.

How many channels do I need?
Yes, as you have already determined, you need at least two three-position switches to use all flight modes with the FY21AP. Also, if you intend to use the AP117 OSD with it, then you should have an additional dial (pot) to be able to utilize the 5 different display settings.

The minimum number of channels you need to utilize all of the flight modes with the FY21AP is six. So, you would have had enough in your DX6i, if only they had given you the two three-position switches (or dials) required for all flight modes, which they do not.

If you wanted to use the FY21AP with the AP117 OSD, then you would need a minimum of seven channels, and at least two three-position switches (or dials), plus an additional dial (to be able to get all 5 display modes).

Quote:
Originally Posted by octane81 View Post
Is the Turnigy 9x a good choice? enough switches , and fail safe programming...? its just a bit cheap , so im a little bit skeptical
I just purchased a Turnigy 9X. It seems like a decent radio, and it has frequency hopping. Not nearly as nice a build quality as my JR X9303, but it has three dials on it, which will allow you to get all six flight modes (and all five display modes with the AP117, if you are using it). The problem with the Turnigy 9X is that the receivers do not have fail safe functionality on all channels, so you won't be able to use the fail safe return-to-home function, unless....

What I did with my Turnigy 9X is replace the Turnigy transmit module with the DIY FrSky transmitter module. A lot of people have done this. The FrSky module has frequency hopping, dual antennas on the receiver, and also lets you set fail safe on all channels. I am planning on using this on my FPV setup, as I have not sent in my X9303 for the DSMX upgrade yet, and I'm afraid to fly it too far away without frequency hopping. Just do a search of "FrSky Turnigy 9x" on YouTube, and you'll see what I'm talking about.

-Tux
ptuxbury is offline Find More Posts by ptuxbury
Old Jun 17, 2011, 08:29 PM
Joined Jan 2006
193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptuxbury View Post
Thanks. I'm going to return this TV and try another. I don't have much hope that the other will work either, since it's also 720x400, but you never know.

Thanks,
Tux
The new TV came in today (Haier HLT10). It still clips a little bit of the image, but I am able to see all of the text (see image). It is good enough for me, I think.

This TV was actually $30 cheaper too, so it's a win for me all around. The Viore is already boxed up and ready to ship back.

-Tux
Old Jun 17, 2011, 08:33 PM
uavservices on MRF
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
4,958 Posts
glad to hear it, can you adjust the picture in the menu? move it up a bit vertially? it may take that little clip out.

Steve
saabguyspg is offline Find More Posts by saabguyspg
Old Jun 17, 2011, 08:38 PM
Joined Jan 2006
193 Posts
Unfortunately, no. These cheap TVs don't have many display options. I should probably buy one of those 13" portable monitors I've see out there, but I'll try this as a starting point and upgrade later on if I need to. It's actually a pretty nice product for only $70, so I can't complain.
Old Jun 17, 2011, 08:40 PM
Joined Jan 2006
193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpookiePower View Post
If I get the FY21AP and AP177, do I then need more parts, if I want to use the RTH function ?
Other than the appropriate number of channels, switch configurations, and fail safe settings on your tx/rx combo, you do not need any more hardware.

You need enough channels on your tranmitter to be able to activate the RTH function, and your receiver needs to be able to set a fail safe on both the channel that you have selected to control the RTH feature, and the channel that controls throttle.

-Tux
Old Jun 17, 2011, 08:44 PM
uavservices on MRF
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
4,958 Posts
I have the same TV as you... I find that these TV's are impossible to see in the sun (any screen has this issue for sure) I usually fly with my darth helmet.

Steve

Quote:
Unfortunately, no. These cheap TVs don't have many display options. I should probably buy one of those 13" portable monitors I've see out there, but I'll try this as a starting point and upgrade later on if I need to. It's actually a pretty nice product for only $70, so I can't complain.
saabguyspg is offline Find More Posts by saabguyspg
Old Jun 18, 2011, 02:09 AM
The way of being is doing.
Italia, Emilia Romagna, Ravenna
Joined Apr 2009
431 Posts
Quote:
The new TV came in today (Haier HLT10). It still clips a little bit of the image, but I am able to see all of the text (see image). It is good enough for me, I think.

This TV was actually $30 cheaper too, so it's a win for me all around. The Viore is already boxed up and ready to ship back.

-Tux
Hi, can I ask where did you buy this TV ? I would like it
IMEIV is online now Find More Posts by IMEIV
Old Jun 18, 2011, 04:40 AM
Denmark, Capital Region of Denmark, Brøndbyvester
Joined Jun 2009
598 Posts
Quote:
Other than the appropriate number of channels, switch configurations, and fail safe settings on your tx/rx combo, you do not need any more hardware.

You need enough channels on your tranmitter to be able to activate the RTH function, and your receiver needs to be able to set a fail safe on both the channel that you have selected to control the RTH feature, and the channel that controls throttle.

-Tux
I have a Futaba T7C (7 channels) and I'm using the Scherrer LRS Tx/Rx.

I use 4 channels to control the plane and 2 channels for my FPV pan/tilt.
I might have to drop the pan/tilt, if I want to use FY21AP+AP117.

I can see that I also need 2 3-way switches, but I have only got 1. I can also see that I need 1 dial, which I have.

Will I have enough channels/Switches to use the FY21AP+117AP ?
SpookiePower is online now Find More Posts by SpookiePower
Old Jun 18, 2011, 09:28 AM
Joined Jan 2006
193 Posts
Yeah, I'm going to build some sort of black box to shield the sun from the TV. The problem is that I have glasses, so goggles aren't a good solution for me. The main problem with my eyes are astigmatism, so even the diopter inserts aren't the best solution for me.

I'm going to try the screen for a while, and if I end up liking FPV, then I look at doing a ski mask mod for goggles so I can keep my glasses on.

-Tux

Quote:
Originally Posted by saabguyspg View Post
I have the same TV as you... I find that these TV's are impossible to see in the sun (any screen has this issue for sure) I usually fly with my darth helmet.

Steve
Old Jun 18, 2011, 09:41 AM
Joined Jan 2006
193 Posts
Quote:

I can see that I also need 2 3-way switches, but I have only got 1. I can also see that I need 1 dial, which I have.

Yeah, it looks like you do not have the appropriate number of switches, dials to use all of the functions of the FY21AP AND all of the display modes of the AP117 OSD.

If I was you, I'd probably set the 3-pos switch and the dial to control the FY21AP. That way you will have all 6 flight modes available to you (including RTH). Then you could probably use one of your 2-pos switches to control the AP117 display. You won't have all of the display modes, but at least you'll have the option to have all of the information on the screen, or none of the information on it. Unfortunately, you'll have to give up the pan/tilt unless you get a transmitter with more channels.

Can your Futaba Radio adjust end points on the 2-position switches? If so, then you may be able to get some of the middle display modes with the AP117. You will still only be able to use two different display modes, but at least you'll be able to pick the two you like the most.

I'm going to post pictures of each of the modes later so everyone can see what they look like.

I also may post a graphical representation of the channel setups that would be easier for new users to understand (along with LED status from the FY21AP and AP117).

-Tux
Old Jun 18, 2011, 09:45 AM
United States, MD, Clinton
Joined Oct 2010
1,002 Posts
Anyone know where to find just the current sensor for this? All I can find is the full 300+ dollar kits that have everything...
houstonderk is offline Find More Posts by houstonderk
Old Jun 18, 2011, 04:37 PM
Joined Jan 2006
193 Posts
Okay, so this is the best I could do to represent the flight modes and related switches (see attached image). Note that Channels 5 and 6 don't necessary have to be used to control Stabilization Mode, and Autopilot Mode, but I just used those channels as an example. If you used channel 5 and 6 for pan and tilt camera, then channels 7 and 8 could just as easily be used for controlling FY21AP Flight Modes.

Note that the Autopilot Modes (assigned to channel 6 in this example) always override the Stabilization Modes (assigned to channel 5 in this example). The only way to use Stabilization Modes is if the Autopilot Modes switch is in the middle position (deactivated).

In this example, in order to set a fail safe for Return to Launch (RTL), in case your tx/rx lose connection, you need to set your throttle fail safe to approximately 1/2 throttle, and you need to set channel 6 (Autopilot Modes) to low position (900 - 1200 uS).

If you wish to test your tx/rx and FY21AP to see if you have set the fail safe correctly, then set up your system, and then turn your transmitter off briefly. Your throttle should automatically go to 1/2 throttle (please be careful not to hurt yourself with this!), and the red LED on your FY21AP should double flash every two seconds.

If anyone wants to double-check my work here, please feel free. It's always good to have a second (or third, or fourth) set of eyes looking at these things to make sure they are correct.

-Tux
Old Jun 19, 2011, 05:51 AM
Portugal
Joined Nov 2009
772 Posts
Quote:

You can buy the 1TO2.
In fact I'm on the same boat as you. I really need at least one more channel as my plane also has flaps. 1TO2 seems the best way to go with.
HF_ATL is online now Find More Posts by HF_ATL
Old Jun 19, 2011, 10:37 AM
Ikaruswannab
Joined Sep 2009
968 Posts
Can anybody tell me if the FY21AP is supposed to hold a minimum height when RTL is enabled?.
I know it holds the height at which RTL was enabled but if i turn ON the RTL function at 5m height will it hold 5m or ascend to a minimum height?
Teo
teopbako is online now Find More Posts by teopbako