HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 02, 2010, 09:19 AM
Registered User Wannabe
Southwest Mississippi, USA
Joined Jan 2008
1,529 Posts
Discussion
heli vs airplane fuel for both applications

I'm building my first heli. It will be powered by an os50sx hyper, which is a short stroke ringed engine. I plan to run 15% nitro content in the heli.

My LHS only carries Morgan fuels.

Currently, I run two and 4 stroke airplane engines and I've been running a 1:1 mix of omega and cool power 15% - both airplane fuel blends. I do this to cut down some of the castor (especially for the 4 strokes) but still have a fuel with some castor in it. I much to prefer to run just one fuel in all of my engines for convenience sake, which I why I do the cool power/omega mix.

Is there anything wrong with running much castor in a heli engine - I notice on the morgan site that even their omega heli fuel only contains 2% castor in the oil package, while the airplane omega has 30% castor.

Since I've added this heli, I was thinking about mixing a 1:1 mix of cool power heli 15% with omega airplane fuel 15%.

Thoughts?
rodneygt is offline Find More Posts by rodneygt
to remove ads between posts
Old May 02, 2010, 11:12 AM
Got toys?
pearl city, hi
Joined Feb 2005
714 Posts
FWIW, this blurb is from Scott Gray's website:

5. What fuel do you run for 3D? I noticed you have less smoke than some other guys.

I use Cool Power 30% High-performance heli (pink color) mixed in equal parts (1:1) with Cool Power 12.5% heli (purple color). The result is about 21% nitro and multi viscosity blend of oil. The CP30 contains thin oil in high percentages, while the 12.5% heli has less quantity of oil, but it is thicker viscosity. This blend produces the SAME power as CP30%, but has less smoke and is easier to tune! Not to mention the cost is down because you can buy the less expensive 12.5% and mix with the CP30. I do not recommend the low oil blends that some manufacturers offer in order to have less smoke. The price you will pay is often rear bearings and piston rings in your engine as it is not protected enough. As a note, I use this 50/50 blend of fuel in all my helis 30 size, 50, and 90.
kenhiraihnl is offline Find More Posts by kenhiraihnl
Old May 02, 2010, 04:35 PM
Will fly for food
Maryland
Joined Sep 2004
8,424 Posts
Cool Power 15% Airplane and Heli are the SAME fuel.

I would just run the CP 15% in the heli, maybe with a splash of Omega for a BIT of castor. But running a 50/50 mix would be no problem.

I fly a 50/50 mix of CP 30% heli and 15% with 1 - 2 ounces of castor per gallon. The bit of castor adds after run protection and some help if you get a lean run.

20 ounces of Omega added to the CP will add about 1 ounce of castor. There is only about 7 ounces of castor per gallon of Omega. So you 50/50 mix will give you about 3.5 ounces of castor, not that much.
Pinecone is offline Find More Posts by Pinecone
Old May 02, 2010, 06:53 PM
Registered User Wannabe
Southwest Mississippi, USA
Joined Jan 2008
1,529 Posts
Thanks. Great responses guys.
rodneygt is offline Find More Posts by rodneygt
Old Aug 11, 2010, 12:14 PM
Joined Mar 2009
1 Posts
FWIW, Coolpower 15% aero AND 15% heli are the same fuels, just different jugs. Not the same for the Omega. I try and find the CP 15% Aero fuel when I can, as it is usually a few bucks cheaper per gallon

http://www.morganfuel.com/cp_faq.htm#8

Cheers,

HC

edit: HAHA just noticed that PINECONE said the same thing!!!!!
aneill75 is offline Find More Posts by aneill75