SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by RiBell, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Aug 05, 2011, 06:30 PM
Canada, BC, Abbotsford
Joined Jan 2003
4,716 Posts
Well the last chemo didn't go so well. getting sick in the car on the way to the hospital. The week after wasn't much better. We still don't know for sure if was reaction to the pain medication/ the possibility of a cold/ the huge headache/ or even the cancer it's self.
The two weeks folowing the chemo treatment was pretty rough. She was getting sick every other day. ended up missing about 5 days of work from being sick. Then she saw the oncologist. He gave her someting differant for the pain. It's a patch that you wear on the skin. That started earlier this week and so far things have started to settle down. So as I write this I'm starting to think that the pain medication might have been a part of the issue and maybe (hopefully) the tumors are shrinking which will also ease the pain/nausea.

So yesterday was chemo #2 on the new drugs. It seemed like a walk in the park compaired to the last one. She has even gone to work today and I'd better finish up here and start supper before she gets home. The only tough side effect of the new drug is don't touch stuff that is cold for about 5 or 6 days. That one will be hard as she likes her water super cold with lots of ice.
So we'll see how the weekend goes.
Rick
RiBell is offline Find More Posts by RiBell
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 05, 2011, 06:36 PM
Team Tracon !!!
Canada, BC, Gibsons
Joined Jan 2003
2,748 Posts
Thanks for the update Rick, it's funny you posted this today, I was thinking about you today and wasn't sure if I should email you to see how things were going...you answered my thoughts...

Hope things stay on an even keel for you guys....

Hang in there...

Sam
Tracon is offline Find More Posts by Tracon
Old Aug 06, 2011, 01:18 AM
Joined May 2001
2,918 Posts
Sometimes you have to have a worse experience to tell the difference between the better! Small progress perhaps but I'm glad to hear the new med seems to be having fewer side effects.

Hmm... Rick Bell supper... I wonder what that's like? Hopefully no servo horns in the quiche or anything...

Luke
LukeZ is offline Find More Posts by LukeZ
Old Aug 11, 2011, 11:54 AM
IAMCANADIAN
Canada, BC, Squamish
Joined Jul 2002
4,744 Posts
Downs and ups. Good to hear its going better Rick. Hopefully the next round or two is as easy as the last.

Luke, Rick is a good cook. I've eaten breakfast with him a few times. Didn't get any free servo horns in the eggs tho.
Grejen is offline Find More Posts by Grejen
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Learn the ICAO alphabet anyone?
Old Sep 28, 2011, 01:54 PM
Canada, BC, Abbotsford
Joined Jan 2003
4,716 Posts
Ok a while ago we started some new chemo drugs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiBell View Post
The plan is 3 cycles of chemo and repeat the CT scan. So it's going to be about 12 weeks before we know anything different. Except for the side effects that the new chemo drugs will bring.
So chemo #3 on the new drugs didn't go as well as chemo #2. we were just about done when; suddenly and without much warning she got sick. So with chemo #3 done and a couple of weeks have now passed. She's had her CT scan and seen the her oncologist. The news is not good this time. The new drugs didn't seem to have any effect on the cancer. Our options are go clinical phase 1 studies. Not the greatest plan as phase 1 studies are the first time they get tried on people. Add the driving in and out of Vancouver and a compleate unknown as to what will happen. the there is an old drug that has been around for a very long time that has some serious side effects after 4 or so treatments.

For now Tracy has desided to refuse treatment and let nature take it's course; she's getting tired of all poking/testing and side effects.
So it's blood work in 5 weeks CT scan at 11 weeks and see the oncologist a week after each to discuss what is going on. Taking us close to the end of the year.
Rick
Old Sep 29, 2011, 01:15 PM
Joined May 2001
2,918 Posts
Not much can be said after that sort of post, but I do appreciate the updates Rick. Maybe in an ironic way Tracy can get some more enjoyment out of life for a while without all the "poking/testing", I can see how that would get very old and tiring, not to mention being sick from the chemo. Sometimes it seems like the cure is worse than the disease.

Fall is here and I hope you two have a good one, and peaceful somehow.

Luke
Old Sep 30, 2011, 03:06 PM
IAMCANADIAN
Canada, BC, Squamish
Joined Jul 2002
4,744 Posts
Thank you for the update Rick. Sure was hopeing for better news. So sorry to hear. Is she currently still ahead of (better than, smaller tumors) the starting point? That must seem so long ago.

Greg
Grejen is offline Find More Posts by Grejen
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Learn the ICAO alphabet anyone?
Old Sep 30, 2011, 07:55 PM
Canada, BC, Abbotsford
Joined Jan 2003
4,716 Posts
Greg:
Are you referring to where the cancer is today compared to the day of diagnosis? If so then yes the cancer has progressed. Or at least I would think so due to the fact that its now in her lungs and adrenal gland.
What Ive learned is the the liver has grown to being bigger that the space that space the is designed/ allocated for it to occupy. This is what creates the pain; then the pain in the right shoulder comes from crossed wires. (The same idea as when someone has a heart attack; and their arm goes numb and the smell of burnt toast is reported) When walking into the lunch room at work if you smell burnt toast your OK if someone else smells it too.
When she was first diagnosed she was in extreme pain for a day or so then it seemed to taper off. With the pain medication Fentanyl at the lowest level, its a patch worn on the skin for 3 days then replaced; shes telling me is that her pain is in the sore/ discomfort level.
Rick
Old Oct 02, 2011, 10:43 AM
Team Tracon !!!
Canada, BC, Gibsons
Joined Jan 2003
2,748 Posts
Hi Rick,

Thanks for the update...

I wish Beverly and I would know what to say....

We're still praying for ya, hang in there...
Sam
Old Jan 18, 2012, 01:57 PM
Canada, BC, Abbotsford
Joined Jan 2003
4,716 Posts
Haven't updated the blog story for awhile. We went to see the doctor in Vancouver to talk about the phase 1 clinical trials. Were given a lot of paperwork to read and it was left up to us; if we were going to go ahead with them. The trials require a lot of your time. Basically what they are wanting to do with the trials is find out the answer to a couple of specific questions. How much of this drug can be given/taken safely. How fast does the body metabolize and get rid of the drug. The trial goes like this day-7 blood work/ day-1 more blood work. Day 1 (they warn you that this will be a long day) blood work take the drug blood work every 2 hours after for the rest of the day (8 or 10 hours). return for more blood work tests on day 2; day 3 and day 4. If I read it correctly you get to stay home on day 5 and 6.
But then there is drug #2 that goes along with it that has it's own schedule that is a little bit different. add all that that to the 1 1/2 hour drive daily the commitment being asked would be a lot easier if you lived right beside the clinic. Tracy has decided that this is just too much; especially for something that had a disclaimer near the beginning of all the paperwork we were to read that stated that this drug will most likely have no effect on the cancer. But your participation may help with future treatments.
The next ting that I learned is you oncologist accesses you condition and selects a treatment option. Then it needs to be approved by the cancer clinic board on two levels. By the drug review and finance; the old drug that has been around for a very long time that has some serious side effects after 4 or so treatments. Never did happen as it was not approved by the cancer clinic board.

So for now she has been off all chemo since Sept. We saw our oncologist on Monday and he wants to present a case for returning to Capecitabine. This was the one that burnt her hand and feet pretty bad. However she has been off that particular drug for all most a year.
No matter how you look at it it kinda sucks. We've gotten in to see the doctors in the pain clinic.

She has finally pulled the plug on work a few months ago. And is doing sorta OK averaging 14 hours of sleep a day. So it is starting to take it's toll.
Rick
Old Jan 20, 2012, 01:38 AM
Joined May 2001
2,918 Posts
Thanks for posting Rick. We probably all wish we had something to say in response that would make a difference, but in the absence of that I do still appreciate reading these updates.

It is ironic and strange, but I have noticed this several times, when a person is going through a hardship and suffering, that person often ends up becoming a source of inspiration and blessing to the people around them. It is ironic because the people being inspired are the very ones who wish most it could be the other way around.

Keep on keepin' on! What else can you do.

Luke
Old Feb 27, 2012, 01:16 PM
Canada, BC, Abbotsford
Joined Jan 2003
4,716 Posts
Well I guess another month has gone by. We've got a doctors visit for next week. And as a lead into that she has some blood work to get done today (CEA) as the results take a few days.
It's pretty close to 2 weeks now. when things went kinda bad.
She got hit with pain pretty bad on thr 15th. At first I thought it might be due to having a bunch of chocolate the day before. As she's not been eating anything rich; but when it didn't go away.
I had to convince her to start taking something for the pain. Her oncologist keeps telling her to not be a hero. It's been almost 2 weeks and her pain is starting to come under control.
Need to get her filling out her med log so that the next time we see the pain clinic doctors they have something to go on.
Rick
Old Feb 27, 2012, 05:29 PM
Team Tracon !!!
Canada, BC, Gibsons
Joined Jan 2003
2,748 Posts
Hang in there buddy....

We're thinking about you guys....

All the best,
Sam
Old Mar 05, 2012, 01:43 PM
Canada, BC, Abbotsford
Joined Jan 2003
4,716 Posts
Nothing earth shattering.
Saw her oncologist today; got the results for the blood work. It all seems to be OK. All the liver function enzymes and numbers are where they should be.
Her CEA (cancer tumor marker) was down to just under 300. That's the one that if you are healthy without cancer is less than 4
Picked up her Capecitabine pills for the next two weeks.
Then she has a CT scan later this month.
Rick
Old Mar 05, 2012, 02:24 PM
Team Tracon !!!
Canada, BC, Gibsons
Joined Jan 2003
2,748 Posts
Thanks for keeping us posted...

All the best,
Sam