HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by RiBell, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Apr 07, 2011, 11:50 PM
Canada, BC, Abbotsford
Joined Jan 2003
4,749 Posts
Not getting any good new yet.
Today was to be chemo treatment #20.
Today's Chemo was cancelled for a couple of reasons.
1~ She needs a break as capecitabine pills have a fairly nastly side effect.
The skin on hands and feet get quite red/ crack and peel. and doing up buttons and holding pens becomes diffucult.
2~It appears to not be working. The tumor marker is going climbing which is the wrong direction.

So we've hit two of the three reasons to stop. (makes you too sick/ stops working/ or the cancer is gone)

So for now she gets a break for another 5 weeks.
At which time she will get a CT scan to see what's happening. At which time it's back on chemo with a new drug.
Rick
RiBell is offline Find More Posts by RiBell
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 13, 2011, 01:20 PM
IAMCANADIAN
Canada, BC, Squamish
Joined Jul 2002
4,744 Posts
So sorry to hear of the setbacks Rick . She gets a break from the chemo anyway. Hopeing the new drug is effective.
Grejen is offline Find More Posts by Grejen
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Learn the ICAO alphabet anyone?
Old Apr 29, 2011, 09:14 PM
Surrey BC, Canada
Joined Sep 2002
876 Posts
Hey Rick

I am sorry to here that the fight is still on with your wife. Keep us informed.

Colin
Gonzo007 is offline Find More Posts by Gonzo007
Old Jun 03, 2011, 10:31 AM
Canada, BC, Abbotsford
Joined Jan 2003
4,749 Posts
We had a doctors visit yesterday.
So far there has not really been any change. The CEA is still climbing. Normal health without cancer the # is less than 4; it's climbed up to 13. It was close to 100 when she was first diagnosed. All her blood work is still OK. Since Her last chemo treatment was the middle of March. What was explained to us; is this means that the cancer is not exploding/ erupting. Her hands are starting to look a lot better; although she is complaining that they are super itchy.
My thoughts on this, is that her hands are healing from the side effects of the chemo; same as a big nasty cut itches as it's healing.
So on the oncologist’s suggestion the break from chemo will continue for another 4 weeks. Then all the tests repeat blood work and CT scan. So we see the oncologist in 5 weeks, for our next report.
Rick
Old Jun 03, 2011, 03:04 PM
IAMCANADIAN
Canada, BC, Squamish
Joined Jul 2002
4,744 Posts
Thank you for the report Rick. I think you're right about her hands . Itchy = healing.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 04, 2011, 01:48 AM
Joined May 2001
2,950 Posts
Thanks for the update Rick. As they say, no news is good news! At least she is off the chemo for a bit longer.
LukeZ is offline Find More Posts by LukeZ
Old Jun 07, 2011, 08:13 AM
Team Tracon !!!
Canada, BC, Gibsons
Joined Jan 2003
2,748 Posts
Hang in there Rick, we're praying for ya...

Sam & Beverly
Tracon is offline Find More Posts by Tracon
Old Jul 07, 2011, 11:12 PM
Canada, BC, Abbotsford
Joined Jan 2003
4,749 Posts
Last week Tracy went for the nextCT scan. Today was the visit to the oncologist. It's time to restart Chemo.
The CEA is way up; and the CT scan is showing that the cancer has grown significtly since the last CT scan; and that there are now spots on her lungs and a small one on her Adrenal gland.

Because of the nastyness of the capecitabine. Her hands have still not healed from it. It'll be two drugs. I don't have the names of them in front of me right now. So for now we're just waiting for the chemo room to schedule us.
Rick
Old Jul 08, 2011, 02:00 AM
Team Tracon !!!
Canada, BC, Gibsons
Joined Jan 2003
2,748 Posts
I don't know what to say buddy...we're still praying for you..

Sam
Old Jul 08, 2011, 11:10 AM
Canada, BC, Abbotsford
Joined Jan 2003
4,749 Posts
Thanks Sam:
Yesterday felt a little like another kick in the emotional gut.
We sorta know where it's going but we're not in a hurry to get there.
OK the new drugs are Oxaliplatin and Raltitrexed.
Just when her hair was starting to come back. We're kinda hoping that we can get we can have Thursdays again; as it was giving Tracy the weekend right after Chemo to sleep. Due to my work shift schedule I can go with her without taking too many days off work.
Just before this break she had; the side effects were getting severe enough that she was talking about just quitting chemo and letting nature take it's course. 3 months off chemo with the nasty side effects of the chemo almost gone she's ready to fight again.
The plan is 3 cycles of chemo and repeat the CT scan. So it's going to be about 12 weeks before we know anything different. Except for the side effects that the new chemo drugs will bring.
Rick
Old Jul 08, 2011, 11:25 AM
Team Tracon !!!
Canada, BC, Gibsons
Joined Jan 2003
2,748 Posts
Thanks for the update...

Standing by...

Good Luck...

Sam
Old Jul 08, 2011, 01:48 PM
Joined May 2001
2,950 Posts
Rick, I'm sorry to hear the unfortunate news - not what you were hoping for at all I know. There's nothing we can do of course or even really say... but you can know there are lots of RCGroups friends thinking about Tracy and yourself, and wishing you the best possible.

Hang in there,

Luke
LukeZ is offline Find More Posts by LukeZ
Old Jul 08, 2011, 03:04 PM
IAMCANADIAN
Canada, BC, Squamish
Joined Jul 2002
4,744 Posts
Aw man Rick. sooo sorry..

I want to swear and stomp and make it go away for you both (and the kids). Like Luke says that's not gonna be helpful but I'm doing it anyway. Hey, it worked on the cars we wrenched on 20 years ago.

Hoping with everything the next round is a very effective one!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 15, 2011, 12:09 AM
Canada, BC, Abbotsford
Joined Jan 2003
4,749 Posts
Today was chemo treatment #20.
Today's treatment went kinda bad; starting yesterday.
OK I'll explain. Last week when we saw the oncologist. We discussed the physical properties of the liver; and what's happening when it causes pain.
(Super simple here: when the cancer tumours grow, and cause the liver to be bigger than the space allocated within the body. you get pain)
Yesterday she was in a lot of pain. So she took some pain pills before bed.
This morning she started getting sick before we left the house.
Then again in the car; and a couple more times during the chemo treatment.
She's already got the most common side effect from the new cancer drugs.
That is reported to last about 3 to 4 days after treatment. Pain from eating or drinking anything hot or cold. Hopefully the pain medication will be able to bring the pain under control over the weekend. and that the cancer will shrink in size once again.
Rick
Old Jul 15, 2011, 12:11 AM
Canada, BC, Abbotsford
Joined Jan 2003
4,749 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grejen View Post
Hey, it worked on the cars we wrenched on 20 years ago.
No it didn't it just made you feel better when you vented