HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 18, 2010, 04:33 PM
I'd FPV it.
United States, GA, Winder
Joined Nov 2009
2,873 Posts
Few pics of my geobat v 2.0. It has a little bit of Pecans new version, Lloyds version, and a few changes of my own. Notice the big ass ailerons without any tabs.
Ho-Jazz is online now Find More Posts by Ho-Jazz
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 18, 2010, 06:18 PM
Did you get it on video?
USA, FL, Miramar Beach
Joined Nov 2005
6,041 Posts
I might have to build a GeoBat myself, so I can light it up, and create some "UFO" calls in the area...
Flying-Monkey is offline Find More Posts by Flying-Monkey
Old Oct 19, 2010, 07:26 AM
"Spike"
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Joined May 2010
312 Posts
Looks great

H.J., the new GeoBat looks super neat, nice job there.
I'm in the process of building number two here also, and haven't cut the ailerons out yet. I also like the subtle mod to the rudder, that's cool.
I'd sure like to try affixing the control surfaces with tape, but I seem to have no success at all, and I use a few extra ing words in the process. Yours looks nice and neat, well attached, what's the secret?
I couldn't tell for sure from the pics, but did you retain the bottom doubler that goes in between the fuselage sides along with the new top one ?
I did as I was already past that place when I seen the new top addition mod come along. I'll just have to taper and shape the leading edge a little more to streamline it.
I'm not sure if I'll get mine done before cold weather sets in or not, been having a lot of things taking priority over the work shop.
Do you have any color scheme or trim designs in mind for this one?
DelRay is offline Find More Posts by DelRay
Last edited by DelRay; Oct 19, 2010 at 07:34 AM.
Old Oct 19, 2010, 09:54 AM
I'd FPV it.
Joined Nov 2009
2,873 Posts
Spike, The tape I like to use is the tape you find at HD or Lowes for housewrap. Its very thin and light, and sticky as all get out. There is no doubler on the bottom, just the foam you see on top that was Pecan's idea. There will be no paint on this model as it will be flown at night most of the time.
Old Oct 19, 2010, 01:19 PM
Slow Flyer
Richmond, TX
Joined Apr 2008
3,236 Posts
Ho-Jazz:
Looks great. That one is solar powered, right?

I have started on my build (after a long wait). I hope to have it flying (sans LEDs) by the weekend. If it flies, I will "alienate" it the following week to get ready for a Halloween night fly club event on the 30th.

Question: What is the main support for the section just in front of the elevator? Do you have carbon running thru it, etc? This seems to be a fairly weak point.
Bombay is offline Find More Posts by Bombay
Old Oct 19, 2010, 01:21 PM
Home of "Golf Cart Flying"
Griffin GA
Joined Aug 2008
8,675 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombay View Post
Ho-Jazz:
Looks great. That one is solar powered, right?

I have started on my build (after a long wait). I hope to have it flying (sans LEDs) by the weekend. If it flies, I will "alienate" it the following week to get ready for a Halloween night fly club event on the 30th.

Question: What is the main support for the section just in front of the elevator? Do you have carbon running thru it, etc? This seems to be a fairly weak point.

Yes it isnt on the plans....... but we run a .035 x .195 flat CF piece there.
then hinge the elevator.
pecanpatch is offline Find More Posts by pecanpatch
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Tiggers Big Show
Old Oct 19, 2010, 03:52 PM
United States, GA, Woodstock
Joined Jan 2007
6,798 Posts
Just checked my schedule and Im off this Sunday so if the weather is good Ild like to check out the pecan patch

Right now the forecast is for mostly sunny and 75.
GoldCraft is online now Find More Posts by GoldCraft
Old Oct 20, 2010, 01:09 AM
I'd FPV it.
Joined Nov 2009
2,873 Posts
Spike, here is a link to the tape I have used. Again, its STICKY!! Scroll down to the bottom and its the sheathing tape, in white or red.
http://www.intertapepolymer.com/Prod...s/Default.aspx
Bombay, like Pecan said, there is carbon in the back for the elevator. As well as a few other places. I will snap a few pics of where the carbon was used in my build for ya.
Monkey, build one...or two.
Old Oct 20, 2010, 04:27 AM
Griffin GA
Joined Aug 2008
8,675 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldCraft View Post
Just checked my schedule and Im off this Sunday so if the weather is good Ild like to check out the pecan patch

Right now the forecast is for mostly sunny and 75.
Alright! Hopefully the weather gods will once again shine down on us favorably.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 20, 2010, 08:43 AM
"Spike"
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Joined May 2010
312 Posts
Thanks

H.J., thanks for that tape info, I guess I'll try my luck at the tape hinge thing again. Hopefully, ther'll be no ing problems, and I won't have to invent any new ing words.
I was thinking you didn't have the lower doubler on yours, but I don't think it'll add that much drag or weight to mine.
The lighting project sounds neat, be sure to sanp some pics of that when ya get to it.
Old Oct 20, 2010, 10:59 PM
Griffin GA
Joined Aug 2008
8,675 Posts
I mounted the servos on this one with the supplied small screws... This is to make it more field serviceable. I used CF tube to stiffen the .046 dia. pushrods.
I like the feel of this set-up...... it is time consuming tho,
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 20, 2010, 11:36 PM
I'd FPV it.
Joined Nov 2009
2,873 Posts
Very nice Pecan!! I like the CF pushrod tubes. Looks like you are about ready for the maiden... Cant wait to see it fly some AUV missions....
Old Oct 21, 2010, 07:19 AM
"Spike"
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Joined May 2010
312 Posts
Lookin' good Pecan

The wooden blocks and little screws is the method I used to mount all the servos on my first one, and like you said Pecan, it's time consuming, but servo repair, etc. is a lot easier.
It does shorten the push rod length considerably for the elevator, but I never seemed to have a problem with rod flex as I supported it several times along the fuselage side.
The added weight of the servos at the rear can most likely be offset with battery position, it looks like ya got a lot of room to move around up front.
Today I'm gonna install the c.f. pieces by the ailerons and start mounting some control surfaces and servos.
I'm anxious to try that sheeting tape, hope I don't have to use any ing nasty words.

Thanks for the pics Pecan, they tell a lot with few words.

I doubt if I'm gonna run right outside this morning, the temp meter says it's a cool 37 degrees out there. I hateing winter.
Old Oct 21, 2010, 09:44 AM
Newnan, GA
Joined Feb 2010
725 Posts
Well it looks like I will try to make it out to the Pecan Patch Sunday also. Looking for good weather. I have been busy with my stuff too. I bought a new Spektrum DX7 radio. With the DX8 out, they have really dropped the price on DX7s.

I bought those night lite sticks from home Depot and mounted them on the Geobat. Last night I did my first night flight and it went very well. The Geobat looks very good all lighted as it flies. Maybe a UFO?

I also fixed my combat airplane. It got slightly squashed during our last golf cart flying foray. It's good as new and ready to go.

Come on Sunday!!!
Revo Dave is offline Find More Posts by Revo Dave
Old Oct 21, 2010, 11:20 AM
Griffin GA
Joined Aug 2008
8,675 Posts
Awesome Dave! You are doing great!
I wonder if Bronco will make it Sunday? He is the big dog out in Vegas I guess

I need to fix Joshs Slow stik rudder where I mid-aired into him while GCF'n

My Brother Rip-n-slip wants to fly this 3D plane he has called a Panic.
It's old school

Im oval racing Saturday..... But all My homies are invited Out for Flight school Sunday from 1PM - on.

I want to shoot some Hero HD video..... If you have a GeoBat ... Bring it for a Mass formation flight
RCG Plus Member