HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 01, 2010, 05:28 PM
San Diego, Ca.
Joined Jun 2006
19 Posts
Discussion
Converting the SIG Kadet Senior Kit to electric?

Any one have experince in Converting the SIG Kadet Senior Kit to electric?
the man is offline Find More Posts by the man
to remove ads between posts
Old May 01, 2010, 08:33 PM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Not personally, but do a search of the archives hereabouts. Sig kits make great electrics and plenty of folk have done so and posted here.

I flew one once with a 24 cell nicad battery. A clubmate had built it for an Astro cobalt 40 - by the time he'd built the two piece wing to get it into his Bee-emm 3 series sedan, it was, we suspect, north of nine pounds flying weight and was still a great flying model.

Good luck with your project

D
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old May 03, 2010, 11:35 AM
Big Rapids, Michigan, United States
Joined Jun 2002
302 Posts
Iíve converted a Sig Seniorita (smaller version) and Sig Senior both very easy to do. Both will fly @ 50watts per pound. My Senior is bashed into a Pilatus PC-6, about 9#s and flies on 600watts total.
Like Dereck said do a search lots of info.
Tony
cornj is offline Find More Posts by cornj
Old May 04, 2010, 09:57 AM
Visitor from Reality
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Hi Tony
I recognise the colour scheme on your 'Rita! Guy in NC did much the same, copied the boxtop art if I'm not mistaken. Love your 'Senior Pilatus' - have idly thought of that line of conversion over the years, but you are way ahead of my feeble doodlings. Slightly sacrilegious, but I reckon yours is better looking than the original .

I'm nearly 'just around the corner' from you now, in Chicago. Will be keeping an eye out if we make any fly-ins in your neck of the woods - do you still have those two models?

Regards

Dereck
Old May 04, 2010, 11:26 AM
Big Rapids, Michigan, United States
Joined Jun 2002
302 Posts
Thanks Dereck
Yes I have both models; I just finished the Senior this spring.
You’re welcome to fly at our field anytime, right off US131 50 miles North of Grand Rapids, MI.
Link to Big Rapids modelers
http://cornj.rchomepage.com/brams.html
Link to Cadillac modelers
http://cornj.rchomepage.com/cams.html

If I had a choice I would pick the Seniorita over the Senior; the Seniorita is smaller and easier to transport. The Seniorita requires less power to fly; my Seniorita with 3 channel wing flies on 200 watts.
Tony
cornj is offline Find More Posts by cornj
Old May 04, 2010, 02:01 PM
USA, FL, Clearwater
Joined Dec 2007
695 Posts
i dont have a Kadet but i converted my U can do 60sz Plane to electric and also a Senior Telemaster. Using 6s 5000mah 40c Lipo and a Emax BL4030/10 Motor with a 60a esc. Very easy to convert. The Kadet is very Lite and is easy to fly. I may end up gettn a used one at my local flyn field
rhampton is offline Find More Posts by rhampton
Old May 06, 2010, 07:38 PM
Visitor from Reality
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Hi Tony
Will keep your info handy and maybe we'll get together sometime down the way.

Have to side with you on smaller being far better than big The most staggering 'rita I've come across was down in NC, around Winston-Salem. 36oz RTF, around 150W. Looked real good knife-edging the length of the strip at around five feet up The 'Rita is a neat little model, drop the dihedral, throw in ailerons and its not far behind Sig's Four Star 40 as a great aerobatic sports model.

Regards

Dereck
Old May 25, 2010, 05:32 PM
OCD: Old, Cranky and Disgusted
United States, TX, Sweetwater
Joined Mar 2005
1,595 Posts
I have converted two Seniors to electric.
The first, it was recommended that I use an AXI 4120/14, on 4S lipoly. Believe me! That conversion WILL fly the Kadet! With that set-up, I had to drop down to an APC 13x6.5 prop, just to get the plane to not continually climb!

Second conversion was an AXI 2826, on 4S LiFe (m1 cells). Works great, but needs a lot of nose ballast.

One experiment I ran, on an old gasser Kadet I have: I installed an AXI 4120, and a 1.57:1 belt reduction drive I found. Running 6S2P LiFe, and an APC 18X10 prop, She would get off in about 5 ft (remember, with this battery, the plane weight goes up to 8.75 pounds), and would go vertical til it was out of sight. Not a power system I would recommend, but it sure was fun to play with, and it gave me a good idea of just how much airplane I could pull with that power set-up.

All-in-all, the Kadet senior makes an excellent electric conversion, as you have lots of room, and lots of carrying capabilities, for some serious battery!

Quote:
Originally Posted by the man View Post
Any one have experince in Converting the SIG Kadet Senior Kit to electric?
challenger_i is offline Find More Posts by challenger_i