HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 01, 2010, 02:54 PM
Joined May 2010
5 Posts
Help!
Parkzone Slo V Motor Shaft/Gear box repair

Hello all, hoping you can help a beginner.

I recently purchased a Parkzone Slo V. After a few crashes I need to replace my motor shaft and gearbox. I have the spare parts kit from Parkzone. My question is this...

How do I press in the bearing into the gearbox? It seems a VERY tight fit to me. I tried pressing it in and bent a new shaft and destroyed the plastic gear box in the process.

Second, which side of the gearbox should the bearing be installed? I assume the "propeller side." Same side as the motor mounting tabs? Is this correct?

What about the plastic sleeves? I assume you press in the bearing far enough to install one plastic sleeve in each end of the gear box. These also seem like a very tight fit.

I can't find any Parkzone documentation showing an exploded view of how things go together.

Any help from experienced Slo V repair experts?

Thanks very much!
waynesmith is offline Find More Posts by waynesmith
to remove ads between posts
Old May 01, 2010, 08:02 PM
United States, NJ, Mt Holly
Joined Mar 2009
174 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynesmith View Post

How do I press in the bearing into the gearbox? It seems a VERY tight fit to me. I tried pressing it in and bent a new shaft and destroyed the plastic gear box in the process.
I had the same trouble. My original gearbox didn't even have a bearing so I used the plastic bushings from the original in both sides.

I have upgraded mine to brushless, lipo, and 2.4ghz without any problems this way.
Sea Monkey is offline Find More Posts by Sea Monkey
Old May 01, 2010, 08:02 PM
United States, NJ, Mt Holly
Joined Mar 2009
174 Posts
BTW, the brushles Slo-V is awesome. You should upgrade it if you have the chance.
Sea Monkey is offline Find More Posts by Sea Monkey
Old May 01, 2010, 11:19 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
Quote:

Second, which side of the gearbox should the bearing be installed? I assume the "propeller side." Same side as the motor mounting tabs? Is this correct?

What about the plastic sleeves? I assume you press in the bearing far enough to install one plastic sleeve in each end of the gear box. These also seem like a very tight fit.
Hi Wayne,

The gearbox doesn't use a bearing. It uses the two small white plastic bushings instead. Simply pop a bushing into each side of the gearbox, then use a little white lithium grease (or any other grease you might have laying around, Vaseline will work too), and slide the new prop shaft into the gearbox and secure it with the little circlip.

That's all there is to it...

Chuck
NoFlyZone is offline Find More Posts by NoFlyZone
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old May 03, 2010, 08:45 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
Gee, I hope I didn't offend the original poster by answering his question for him.
Old May 03, 2010, 11:37 AM
Joined May 2010
5 Posts
NoFlyZone,

No offense taken at all!

I appreciate the quick and thorough response to my question. I'm sure that my stock gear box and pre-assembled prop shaft had a metal bearing inside the gear box (out of the box). I was also confused when I saw the parts replacement kit from Parkzone included the gear box, shaft with spur gear, two white bushings, nuts, c-clip AND a metal bearing.

I'm glad to hear I can just use the two white bushings and get back to learning how to fly this plane and get into this exciting hobby.

Thanks again for your answer and your expertise.
Old May 03, 2010, 11:47 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
Quote:
NoFlyZone,

No offense taken at all!

I appreciate the quick and thorough response to my question. I'm sure that my stock gear box and pre-assembled prop shaft had a metal bearing inside the gear box (out of the box). I was also confused when I saw the parts replacement kit from Parkzone included the gear box, shaft with spur gear, two white bushings, nuts, c-clip AND a metal bearing.

I'm glad to hear I can just use the two white bushings and get back to learning how to fly this plane and get into this exciting hobby.

Thanks again for your answer and your expertise.
Hi Wayne, you're very welcome!

Do you know the correct procedure for setting your center of gravity?

Chuck
Old May 03, 2010, 02:06 PM
USA, UT, Midvale
Joined Dec 2009
96 Posts
Slo-V CG

I would welcome your CG help. I was going to trial/error.
pafusion is offline Find More Posts by pafusion
Old May 03, 2010, 02:53 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pafusion View Post
I would welcome your CG help. I was going to trial/error.
Hi pafusion,

Setting the Center of Gravity (C/G) on the ParkZone Slo-V (I love this plane), is very straightforward, and easy IF you know what to look for.

First, we flip the plane upside down and make two marks on the underside of the wing. The first mark will be 8.25" from the trailing edge (the back edge) of the wing.

Then we make another mark at 8.75" from the back edge of the wing.

Now, what we have done is determined the correct C/G for our plane for two different flying styles. The one at 8.25" will be for nice lazy slow flying on nice dead calm days. And the one at 8.75" will be for when we want a little more zip to our Slo-V, or for days when there's the slightest of winds. I recommend using the mark at 8.25" myself, especially for beginners.

Now we flip the plane back rightside up and balnce our plane at the marks. We do this by moving things around like the battery, either forward or backward OR we slide the wing forward or backward until the plane balances perfectly on the marks AND the fuselage is perfectly horizontal to the ground.

Are ya with me so far?

Chuck
Old May 03, 2010, 07:45 PM
Joined May 2010
5 Posts
Chuck,

Thanks for the CG advice. I'll admit I'm getting VERY frustrated. I can't seem to get this thing to fly. I'll attribute my first few "mishaps" due to rookie mistakes but after some serious lessons learned I thought I was ready tonight.

Dead calm evening, everything looked good to go. I applied power, applied some up elevator... the Slo V stood on its tail and I couldn't get the nose despite full down elevator input. Somehow it ended up hitting a nearby tree and splintered the CF fuse at the motor gearbox point.

All I want is to takeoff, fly in a straight line for 10 feet and glide to a landing. My wing is set at about the 3rd location from the rearmost location. I have not done the CG location you describe above. I will once I receive my new fuse. What do you mean by the fuselage being perfectly horizontal to the ground? Do you mean the wing and the ground are parallel? I notice my Slo V lists to the left looking at the prop.

Anyway, I'll place my order for more spare parts and try again once received.

Wayne
Old May 03, 2010, 07:53 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
Wayne, I'm going to PM you. I see your problem.
Old May 04, 2010, 06:57 AM
Joined May 2010
5 Posts
Chuck,

Thanks again for the advice. I will read that thread in its entirety and apply the lessons learned. I'm also glad to hear that you experienced the same difficulties I'm having. Gives me hope for the future.

Thanks again
Wayne
Old May 04, 2010, 07:30 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
Quote:
Chuck,

Thanks again for the advice. I will read that thread in its entirety and apply the lessons learned. I'm also glad to hear that you experienced the same difficulties I'm having. Gives me hope for the future.

Thanks again
Wayne
You'll find it helpful, Wayne. No need to read the entire thread, the first post has everything you need.

Chuck
Old May 04, 2010, 12:05 PM
United States, NY, Queens
Joined Oct 2005
2,717 Posts
Wayne,

I started my son out with a Slow-V. He found it quite frustrating until we made three changes:
1) go to the optional 7 cell battery
2) set the wing all the way forward to compensate for the additional weight of the 7 cell battery
3) set the transmitter to the high rate setting.

With these simple changes, the Slow-V becomes a fun plane to fly and quite responsive to your inputs.
Leo L is online now Find More Posts by Leo L
Old May 04, 2010, 12:13 PM
Joined May 2010
5 Posts
Leo,

Thanks very much for the advice!

I am using the 7 cell battery but have my wing set a few spots forward of the rearmost position. My thinking (perhaps completely off base) was that since my trouble was extreme upward pitching at take off (I have not attempted a hand launch yet..) that I could make the plane "nose heavy" by moving the wing back.

Is this backwards?

Wayne