HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 19, 2010, 10:19 PM
Crashing into the sky!
Auckland NZ
Joined Aug 2007
7,179 Posts
Nearly done.

The elevator linkage is a little fiddly to get together, Remember too screw the horizontal stab on first, as the linkage runs right over the top of them

Im using hyperion DS09SCB's on the ailerons, which fit easily, and an HD2212MG on the elevator. HS55 sized servos would likely fit on all 3, as the base of the vertical fin is quite wide, and the wing servo covers are quite deep, even though the wing is thin.

Pics with a 3S 1850 40C, and 4S 1800 40C pack. There is plenty of room in the fuselage for bigger packs but the canopy opening isnt large, and I think you'll struggle to get much more than a 2500 sized pack in the opening, particularly with longer motor/gearboxes etc as the eat up room for putting the lipo in.

AUW with the 3S 1850 is 890grams, photo with the 33" speed 400 pylon voodoo for scale.
jackosmeister is offline Find More Posts by jackosmeister
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 19, 2010, 11:24 PM
Crashing into the sky!
Auckland NZ
Joined Aug 2007
7,179 Posts
Anyone know where the CG should be on a 1320mm span wasp?

I can only fidn the CG for the 1200mm wing version (~50mm from LE)
Old Jun 20, 2010, 08:39 AM
Joined Jun 2009
49 Posts
jacko,

I am using 50mm for the e-wasp and it works fine. (Just found out that the manual that i have is of the 1210mm model) Anyway it works.

leo
ongl is offline Find More Posts by ongl
Old Jun 20, 2010, 03:54 PM
Crashing into the sky!
Auckland NZ
Joined Aug 2007
7,179 Posts
Awesome, Thanks.

Do you have any elevator mixed in spoilerons?
Old Jun 20, 2010, 09:57 PM
Joined Jun 2009
49 Posts
jacko,

Yup I have some down elevator mix. I will check the throws tonight.
Old Jun 23, 2010, 07:33 AM
Crashing into the sky!
Auckland NZ
Joined Aug 2007
7,179 Posts
Im crossing my fingers for the first sunny weekend in 7 weeks this weekend.. Ill try get some footage of it.
Last edited by jackosmeister; Jun 23, 2010 at 07:45 AM.
Old Jun 23, 2010, 07:23 PM
Joined Jun 2009
49 Posts
Jacko,

Sorry have been a bit busy this week. Will post up the spoileron/elevator settings up before this friday. Hopefully bf your maiden.

leo
Old Jun 26, 2010, 02:05 AM
Joined Jun 2009
49 Posts
Jacko,

I dont know how to say this but I lost the wasp today before i manage to retrive the spoiler mix setings. The elevator servo got dislodged from the epoxy in mid flight.

Sigh!

leo
Old Jun 26, 2010, 02:09 AM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Feb 2004
2,110 Posts
Leo,

Sorry to hear about your loss.

= Mike
DrZiplok is offline Find More Posts by DrZiplok
Old Jun 26, 2010, 02:16 AM
Crashing into the sky!
Auckland NZ
Joined Aug 2007
7,179 Posts
Ahhh that sucks. Its blowing 30kmh tommorrow, So im gonna go maiden it on the slope
Old Jul 02, 2010, 08:26 PM
Crashing into the sky!
Auckland NZ
Joined Aug 2007
7,179 Posts
Maidened, Great flying plane!

PLENTY of get up and go, Hard to put a number on it, but its easy 100mph+ . Everything came down mildly warm, nothing to be concerned about at all.

CG is slightly too far forward, gonna have to add a touch of lead to the tail, but other than that its gem of a little hotliner.

I was a bit concerned that the roll rate would be sad with the small ailerons, its fine and dandy

Ended up ditching all of the spoiler to elevator mix, and it flies level with them full up.

Retains really good energy out of a dive, and is pretty slippery in a glide while getting thrown around too. Whistles like it means business

I give it 2 Thumbs up and a Big SHHAAAWING.
Old Jul 03, 2010, 10:29 PM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Mar 2008
3,820 Posts
jackosmeister,

I'm very glad that you are happy with the motor...you got the only one ever made in that size and winding combination and I made sure that it got added to regular MEGA motor line up for anyone to order.

Credit goes to you for figuring out the perfect combination that would satisfy your needs.

I will tell owner of MEGA about this and send him a link to read.

I know he will be smiling.

In future if you ever need to drop its KV by 6% send me a PM...or we can do that to your next motor....(same resistance).

p.s. If you had great airflow over motor, I would say that I don’t like that heat sink as best cooling fin possible but since that airframe does not have a big airflow (I assume it does not) then that heat sink will be as good as any.
For external mounted motors and applications similar to that, I like the MPI heat sink.

Have a great weekend,

Gryphon
GryphonRCU is offline Find More Posts by GryphonRCU
Old Jul 04, 2010, 04:41 AM
Crashing into the sky!
Auckland NZ
Joined Aug 2007
7,179 Posts
Cheers Gryphon, Ill try get some vid of next time. Not much colling in the plane, but everything seems sweet as at the moment. Motor is only on in bursts of a few seconds at a time (or it'd be in orbit!)

For future reference, these are the throws im using. Feels spot on too me. You'll want some expo on everything. Ailerons measured at IB edge, Elevator at centre.

Aileron +15mm - 7mm
Elevator +4mm -4mm
Spoilerons + 24mm

Cg is now at 52mm, should be pretty close, was at 48mm previously.
Last edited by jackosmeister; Jul 04, 2010 at 04:52 AM.
Old Jul 13, 2010, 11:22 PM
Crashing into the sky!
Auckland NZ
Joined Aug 2007
7,179 Posts
Flew the pants off this thing on Sunday, unfortunatly no video

I rate it very highly! Soo much fun doing full power runs down the airstrip, yanking it up vertical to 500+ feet and the rolling it over and come screaming back down, maintains some very impressive energy for such a light little plane, even thru some "ass-clench style" pylon turns.

The power system is awesome, 8" gives PLENTY of thrust for the little slippery plane, and with 9.4" of pitch it has some really long legs, itll accelerate vertically like a space shuttle. Motor comes back cool as a cucumber, makes me think 4S would turn it into a crazy beast of a thing!

Got my hands on one of the new Hyperion 45/90C 2200 3S packs, should provide even more of a kick than the current old 1800 40C packs.

I WILL get a video next time, and try some power on doplar passes to see how quick it moves with the go switch on.

52mm seems spot on for the CG BTW
Last edited by jackosmeister; Jul 14, 2010 at 12:03 AM.
Old Aug 27, 2010, 04:27 AM
Annoying people since 1970 :)
United Kingdom, England, Taunton
Joined Nov 2005
1,677 Posts
Jackosmeister, how's the Wasp holding up?
I'm thinking of kitting one up with a high RPM motor and small fixed prop F5D style. How much speed do you think this plane can take before the frame/wing fails
wastegate is offline Find More Posts by wastegate