Straight centre, and +5 centre
jackosmeister is offline Find More Posts by jackosmeister
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 12, 2012, 04:55 PM
United Kingdom, Wales, Monmouthshire
Joined Aug 2011
176 Posts
Hi guys

I'm thinking of buying a Swift and have been pondering over different motor and prop set ups for it. Been playing around with Drivecalc, looking at a way to get the RFM 10x17 to work with a 35mm outrunner. I was wondering if I could have your collective opinions on using it with an AXI 2820-14 (840kv, rated at 36 A for 60 sec)

Figures I've come up with using 3s @11.8V are:

46.5 A
550W
1725grms static thrust
185km/hr (115mph) pitch speed

I'm not too worried about a big power set up at the mo (I'm sure that'll change tho.) and don't want to push the motor too hard so I can fly it around in a tame F5D style for a while as well as a mini hotliner.
How close do you think 550W would get the plane near to it's theoretical pitch speed on the straight and level?. I've no idea what the stalled thrust would be like with the oversquare 10x17 or whether this would be an issue at the relatively low power level???
Motor is pretty heavy at 151 grams, so will need a light Li Po pack and maybe a bit of lead in the tail.
Any thoughts/experiences/opinions welcome.

Cheers.
TimR74 is offline Find More Posts by TimR74
Last edited by TimR74; Mar 02, 2012 at 05:58 PM. Reason: Sp
Old Feb 17, 2012, 06:01 PM
Joined Aug 2011
176 Posts
Having read a few more posts I don't reckon the 10x17 would work that well around 5-600W. I think chopping down the RFM 10x13 a bit and running on 4s around 800W would be a better bet. My figures could be a fair way out as I took the prop data from the Reisenauer site and I take it the Scorpion/micro ed. gearbox combo would have a much better efficiency than an outrunner.

Anyway, just ordered the Swift from T9 Hobbysport, keep going around in circles deciding on motor/prop/LiPo combinations. Might end up going for a separate cheap(ish) pylon set up and hotliner set up to have a play around with.
Last edited by TimR74; Mar 02, 2012 at 05:57 PM. Reason: Sp
Old Feb 17, 2012, 06:13 PM
Crashing into the sky!
Auckland NZ
Joined Aug 2007
7,143 Posts
Depending on your batterys 4S is probably better CG wise, 2x2S packs of ~2200mah will fit easy, and will balance out any big motor in the nose.

Ive seen a bunch of different setups in the wasp now, pylon, warmliner outrunner, pylonlinery inrrunner, geared inrunner.

They all rock, the wasp will make you grin from 300-2000W
Old Mar 02, 2012, 05:57 PM
Joined Aug 2011
176 Posts
Cheers Jacko, they do seem to be a versatile little plane.

The Swift/Mini Hawk turned up the other day, well impressed with it. First thing that struck me was the short moment arm for the tail - does looks like it was originally designed with a smaller wingspan then had the wings stretched for the mk2. No doubt must help it's quick turning and flick roll/egg beaters.
The wing is superb, would make a great replacement for my little Speedo Pro glider. I've smashed a couple of them up, folded the last one DS'ing it. The servo covers I got with it are flat so had to end up swapping the HS65Mg's (too fat) I'd bought along with it for SD150's (D60's).

Got sick of changing my mind over the motor so thought I'd push the boat out and order the 3900kv Scorpion/Micro Edition gearbox combination from Reisenauer. Hope it's gonna be worth the money......
Old Mar 02, 2012, 08:00 PM
New Zealand, Auckland
Joined Jun 2011
118 Posts
Such an awesome plane. I am running a 4S 2200mAh 45-90C pack in mine just under the wing, I have had a jiggle around and have mine without any weight in the tail as I needed before. I have just ordered the Nano 4S 2250mAh 65-130C packs as I am drawing 110A, getting just over 46k with a modded 4.75 x 5, which was just pushing the 45C pack a little.

Name: Swift 9.JPG
Views: 139
Size: 135.2 KB
Description:

Was interesting to see Jacko's and Brads Wasps setups the other weekend with the folders, very versitile, pretty quick with most setups.

QDRevenger.
QDRevenger is offline Find More Posts by QDRevenger
Old Mar 05, 2012, 11:57 PM
Crashing into the sky!
Auckland NZ
Joined Aug 2007
7,143 Posts
Flew mine again today with the +5. Big naffing grin, this thing rocks.

Got some video to have a play with...

EDIT - No I dont, Im an idiot and left the lense cap on!
Last edited by jackosmeister; Mar 06, 2012 at 12:14 AM.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 01:06 AM
What is Highspeed ?
Germany, BY, Bergen
Joined Feb 2011
512 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimR74 View Post
Cheers Jacko, they do seem to be a versatile little plane.

The Swift/Mini Hawk turned up the other day, well impressed with it. First thing that struck me was the short moment arm for the tail - does looks like it was originally designed with a smaller wingspan then had the wings stretched for the mk2. No doubt must help it's quick turning and flick roll/egg beaters.
The wing is superb, would make a great replacement for my little Speedo Pro glider. I've smashed a couple of them up, folded the last one DS'ing it. The servo covers I got with it are flat so had to end up swapping the HS65Mg's (too fat) I'd bought along with it for SD150's (D60's).

Got sick of changing my mind over the motor so thought I'd push the boat out and order the 3900kv Scorpion/Micro Edition gearbox combination from Reisenauer. Hope it's gonna be worth the money......
If you order the Scorpion/Micro Edition gearbox combination - take the HK2221-6 and MicroEdition 5:1.
Works on 3S or 4S Lipo with 10x13 or 10x16.
when all goes a normal way this week I do maiden with my mini-hawk on weekend and hope to get some Data from my logger. show them than here.
Rolf
Rolf D. is offline Find More Posts by Rolf D.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 11:55 AM
Joined Aug 2011
176 Posts
I've already bought the 3900kv, Rockamp 2221-7 with 5:1 GB. Arrived the other day, I had the last 2221-7 and 10x16 in stock apparently. The gearbox is tiny, looks a great piece of engineering.
I nearly bought the hotter 2221-6 but my reasoning was that the 7 would be better for long, 10ish sec bursts (on 4s) rather than quick 3-4 second bursts to gain height. Should give the ESC an easier time at part throttle as well.

Rolf - good luck with the maiden, let us know how it goes.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 02:58 PM
What is Highspeed ?
Germany, BY, Bergen
Joined Feb 2011
512 Posts
Quote:
I've already bought the 3900kv, Rockamp 2221-7 with 5:1 GB. Arrived the other day, I had the last 2221-7 and 10x16 in stock apparently. The gearbox is tiny, looks a great piece of engineering.
I nearly bought the hotter 2221-6 but my reasoning was that the 7 would be better for long, 10ish sec bursts (on 4s) rather than quick 3-4 second bursts to gain height. Should give the ESC an easier time at part throttle as well.

Rolf - good luck with the maiden, let us know how it goes.
you can use the HK 2221-6 also to for burst to 10 seconds , makes he easy and ( ok I will see it on weekend in real and if theoretical is like practical ) you dont need not more than 5-10 seconds full throttle

for the 10x16 they build only ONE each day from Rudi Freudenthaler, so if people order the foldingprop its not during a long time to get them ready to ship. - from where I know this ? I am involved whats going on by Andy because he is a good friend of mine who lives near by.

thx for the good luck on weekend tim.
we will see whats going on in reality, but the point is - Andys advice works all time as he says before.
Rolf
Old Mar 14, 2012, 04:13 PM
Joined Aug 2011
176 Posts
Rolf - What size 2 X 2S batteries are you using? Can you replace them both without taking the wing off? Any photos of the arrangement?

Cheers
Old Mar 14, 2012, 04:21 PM
What is Highspeed ?
Germany, BY, Bergen
Joined Feb 2011
512 Posts
I use two SLS APL 2S 2200 mAh 45 C .
I replace them from the front ( open only the hood for it) without taking the wing off.
Only you have to put them not together inside then it works fine.
Point is - at moment I have only a 4S pack here (get my two 2S packs on friday) figured it all out with two dummys made from foam.
Also too I have the ESC not on bottom - comes on top under the hood.
When I have the Lipo cells on friday I make some pics.
greetings
Rolf
Old Mar 14, 2012, 04:34 PM
Crashing into the sky!
Auckland NZ
Joined Aug 2007
7,143 Posts
Dont forget to reinforce the rear of the wingseat, the two radius's in front of the bolt WILL crack out , once thats done it seems a pretty solid airframe.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 07:21 PM
Joined Aug 2011
176 Posts
Yep, I've got some twill weave carbon tape ready for the rear wing seat reinforcement. The corners on my wingseat cutout have been cut quite sharp, not much of a radius, so will act as a stress raiser.

I've been faffing about with balsa, dummy batteries as well. 1800mah is the limit for getting 4S in past the Scorpion/Micro Edition combo. Would be nice to fit 2200mah though.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 03:32 AM
What is Highspeed ?
Germany, BY, Bergen
Joined Feb 2011
512 Posts
Quote:
Yep, I've got some twill weave carbon tape ready for the rear wing seat reinforcement. The corners on my wingseat cutout have been cut quite sharp, not much of a radius, so will act as a stress raiser.

I've been faffing about with balsa, dummy batteries as well. 1800mah is the limit for getting 4S in past the Scorpion/Micro Edition combo. Would be nice to fit 2200mah though.
Have a SLS 4S 2200 mAh 45 C pack put inside the mini hawk (must build the motor gb out so could make pics with this Lipo) and this pack has same size as two 2S SLS 2200 mAh together. so here you can see that it works with SLS APL 2200 Lipo.